Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reworking detectives forensic scanner. *EFFORT POST*
Most Det's leave the scanner alone but only true pro dets know the scanner is a far superior choice over the pda.

It can scan from distances, so you can scan not only blood pools and finger prints as far as one can see from the one spot, but also other people. The latter is actually pretty important, most people in goon SS13 dont like people being right beside them (my personal spaaace) for a multitude of reasons.
It can also scan on the CCTV! (which begs for cctv functionality to be improved!)

So despite this being a totally righteous tool, there are a few gripes that could be fixed would make this tool far less ignore-able.

1. Scanning for prints from a distance is great, but there's one thing that would make this kick-ass. When scanning a person, it will spew up data of the blood-type and fingerprint of the person, which is handy, but what the det would really like to know is why the hell that person is covered in blood. So instead of just giving data of blood type, it could show what blood is actually on the gear. TRACES OF BLOOD: 20384u0ugjfsa, gjdijea2t56n, etc
The det could see "well, the blood is clearly his own, is he ok?" or "that man is covered in the blood of multiple people!" or "that man has the blood of one person, our missing perp". And so on and so forth. The pros for det work for this is massive.

2. The det gun can trace bullets back to guns. This is rather handy. But also, kinda useless. When bullets are removed from corpses, it states what kind of bullet it is, and most of the time you can distinguish "well, that man was clearly shot by a spacker"
So instead, combined with the above there should also be an indicator if there is gunshot residue on the player.
TRACES OF GUNSHOT RESIDUE: Y/N
Traces of gunshot residue, will be Y if a player has ever shot a ballistic rifle. You can rule out various people such as the barman and the MD who both start with rifles, but a janitor with gunshot residue? Suspicious.
Note that both "traces of blood/gunshot residue" can be removed by having a shower, or spraying one's self, or perhaps even washing your hands, depending on how messy you got.

3. The ability to switch between a medical scanner by simply clicking of it inhand. I almost always grab a medical scanner when playing as detective, having the scanner do the work would reduce the crazy amount of clutter that security/detective have to deal with, but also make the forensic scanner awesome because you'd be able to scan for corpses from the one spot.

4. The ability to switch to a reagent scanner by clicking on it inhand, but with extra pros. The reagent scanner would be able to detect trace amounts of chemicals, and would essentially give recent (The last 5 chemicals, or w/e for balancing reasons) chemical history that was in the container. So that empty beaker assembly that security are scratching their heads about, you'd know it had itching powder in it. You'd be able to tell that Corpse McGee had cyanide in his system before he died, along with a bunch of charcoal and pork fat.

Vote yes for increased forensic functionality.
I vote YES

you are a Dings Dings
It seems like right now you can't scan blood that's on items at all, I've tried with the PDA. Am I missing something? What's luminol for?
Dabir Wrote:It seems like right now you can't scan blood that's on items at all, I've tried with the PDA. Am I missing something? What's luminol for?

luminol reveals blood that has been cleaned up iirc
I think these are all neat changes!
Also I made up a new scanner sprite. With normal mode, reagent mode and medical mode.

[Image: aEfJXS4.gif]

[Image: 9yJEFW1.png]
All Aboard the Bandwagon I agree, these suggestions sound awesome.
Also add a recipe for luminol, We really need one because that one bottle is VERY limited.
Sundance Wrote:It can scan from distances
I actually never knew that. I'm constantly surprised by how many simple things I learn about this game.

These are all great. A+

One thing I think should happen is the detective needs a better way to carry all their gear. I usually shove it in my briefcase, but I have to carry that around all the time and that ties up a hand slot. Maybe if the Detective coat had storage slots like a backpack?
Some of these suggestions have been implemented.