Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the deal with people start fires lately?
So lately I've been seeing people start alot of fires lately. They will get a shit ton of paper and go to different points of the station and light them ablaze. Now I've seen three effects this has on the station.

1. If enough fires are burning at once it can cause moderate to extreme lag
2. People walk into the fire and thus catch on fire themselves.
3.Smoke everywhere, making people pass and making it impossible to see.

Its just been getting rather annoying how many fires I've seen in the past two days.
It's because people are realizing how ridiculously long and strong fires burn and end up creating them on a whim because lol why not.
I'm used to seeing a fire every once in a while, pretty normal.

Items used to burn out very fast and couldn't do much damage, but it seems like a bug is making fires last forever.
Yeah, I've been noticing this too. Made for one hell of a blob round when the brig was eternally on fire. It seemed to keep the blob stuck in one area, but made it impossible to wipe it out.
General Discussion Wrote:What's with the greytide lately?
by Ali0en ยป Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:39 pm

You damn copycat. crossarms

Also the fires are harmless except in super specific cases. Burn and let Burn. o snap that burn was fire o snap that burn was fire o snap that burn was fire o snap that burn was fire o snap that burn was fire o snap that burn was fire
Well, you must understand, there's lighting a bunch of papers on fire to make some smoke clouds for kicks...and then there's lighting a bunch of papers on fire to spawn a miniature hellscape that is perpetually on fire and spewing smoke like Saint Helens on a bad day for the rest of time and eternity forever. The latter situation is kind of annoying and makes me hope that the related bug is fixed soon.
I dont mind long burning item fires, but at least make it easier to put out piles of burning items with a fire extinguisher. it took 2 firebots and two people with extinguishers for a paper fire in medbay a few days ago.
I believe the bug relating to infinite-fires has been fixed by Marquesas so there's that.
I've set fires before, but it's usually some stupid experiment to see how fire works. One time I was making popcorn with paper fires, on that note cig lighting is far safer than paper fires for making popcorn.

another time I was playing with matches and trying to see how they burn, then a different time I tried to make steam in a bottle of water by setting a paperfire in courtroom inside a crate, the water didn't seem to heat up though.

Also the fire went on forever.

Otherswise I'd probably use that knowledge as a traitor for improvised explosives, e.g heat a bottle of blackpowder to cause a small explosion

I probably shouldn't set fires outside the science chamber, but most of the time paper fires aren't really dangerous if you're not running into them and you can isolate them from the rest of the crew.
I once had a borg bring me a locker full of all the firefighting grenades in engineering to put one of these in the courtroom out, but after all of them were used, the fire was entirely unaffected. I'm p. sure like 3 people died
Oops. Anyway, weldfuel tanks (the red ones) are definitely sensitive to heat, or at least being heated by a welder
Chike101 Wrote:I once had a borg bring me a locker full of all the firefighting grenades in engineering to put one of these in the courtroom out, but after all of them were used, the fire was entirely unaffected. I'm p. sure like 3 people died
Was that a paperfire or a plasma fire? If there was a crate under it and it was jammed behind a desk that may have been the one I started because I wanted to cook a bottle of water and accidentally set myself on fire more then once.

On that note the fact that you can't heat containers with fire/cig heat is kinda lame. Otherwise you could ghetto chemistry.
Paineframe Wrote:Oops. Anyway, weldfuel tanks (the red ones) are definitely sensitive to heat, or at least being heated by a welder

Oh yeah I had a round where I was emagged as a borg, blew the lights out in botany to set some money on fire, dragged the money to try to set some weed on fire (didn't work, just thought it would be funny), and then dragged a welding fluid tank on top of burning money to set a botanist on fire.

Needless to say a dude murdered me for being obviously subverted.
atomic1fire Wrote:
Chike101 Wrote:I once had a borg bring me a locker full of all the firefighting grenades in engineering to put one of these in the courtroom out, but after all of them were used, the fire was entirely unaffected. I'm p. sure like 3 people died
Was that a paperfire or a plasma fire? If there was a crate under it and it was jammed behind a desk that may have been the one I started because I wanted to cook a bottle of water and accidentally set myself on fire more then once.

On that note the fact that you can't heat containers with fire/cig heat is kinda lame. Otherwise you could ghetto chemistry.

Ghetto Heating = Welder, Just click a beaker/bottle/whathaveyou with one.
Igniters and zippos also should work.