Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion: Make the "Stop the music!" verb less stupid.
I haven't played in a good half year or so, and started playing again yesterday. I found the newsec experience and new content to be interesting, if a bit of a culture shock, but today when I logged on I was met with music I didn't particularly enjoy. "Fine", I say, I'll just use this nifty 'adjust music volume' verb to turn it down. I set it to zero and nothing happens. I find the 'Stop the music!' verb and it it, getting a massive pink "BIG FUN-HATING JERK" name. I thought it was an admin messing with me for commenting on the music, and asked to change it back. I ask an admin to change it back and I was informed by Ursulamajor that this was automated, and given to anyone who uses said verb. After about a minute the music resumes again, and I found out that I have to keep mashing the verb at the end of each song to hear the game itself.
My beef with this is that it's pretty much a punishment for turning off the music, alongside repeatedly having to subject yourself to it after each song. Voicing this with general players was met with "it's a joke, get over it" and to just generally deal with it. In my opinion, having a big target painted on my back for being beaten up/etc for the several hours Ursulamajor plays music isn't very entertaining. I know there's seemingly overwhelming support for the music, but I genuinely dislike it, and would rather not have to sit through it on the only well-populated server ran.
It's a big nuisance and I'd rather not be punished for wanting to hear the game, but not wanting to hear the music overlaid onto it.
I just ran into this today as well and ahelped but didn't know what caused it. I never got a response to that ahelp - at least I didn't see one.

The Stop-the-Music verb only works occasionally as it is. Having your name changed to something along the lines of 'fun hating jerk' in big pink letters is rather irksome. Sometimes I just want to play or am listening for something in game or just don't enjoy the same music that you want to share or am even listening to some of my own. I shouldn't be punished for that - either in terms of a name change or needing to mute the volume.
There's time for fun and games, but I agree with the OP here. This seems like a rather irritating (and automatic, no less) retribution if the person doesn't like whatever music the presiding admin/ursula is playing or has their own music playing or whatever. I don't mind it because I like the music and I like listening to music that I like, but this seems alienating and silly. And not the good kind of silly, either; the kind of silly that makes people glare at you and slowly walk away.
I clicked the stop the music button several times because I thought it was funny.

That said yeah it's pretty rude to insult somebody because they wanted to stop some music on their spaceman game.

for the record I usually just play muted.
atomic1fire Wrote:I clicked the stop the music button several times because I thought it was funny.

That said yeah it's pretty rude to insult somebody because they wanted to stop some music on their spaceman game.

for the record I usually just play muted.

The only issue I have is I want to hear the gunshots, farts and etc of the actual game still, without whatever music's laid onto it.
honestly if it's that big of a deal to the music players that people might mute their music, don't have a verb for it? im pretty sure every single "dont play admin music" thing we've had in the past either didn't work or was just overridden by admins anyway.
Although I was one of those people that said "it's a joke get over it" I do agree with you that you should not be insulted for not wanna to listen to the admin's sometimes annoying music. The "Stop the music" verb needs to work as a toggle, meaning if you click it once the music is off and will stay off until you click it again. Why it does not work like that in the first place is baffling.
For people with slow Internets (4mb, 5 on a good day) music creates a fucking massive lag spike for me. I dunno why, but it does.

Keeping music volume at zero means that I don't get that lagspike. Unless an admin overrides it (why), in which I press stop the music, but then I get labelled as non-fun. Don't get me wrong I like some of the music admins play, especially IM's retro music as it fits into the theme of it really well.
But I like to listen to my own music, and there's no mute button for byond as a whole, combine with the ever prevalent space lag and some of the absolute deafening /soul destroying (see: Happy tuesday) things some admins play this is just very poor taste.
I can't speak on behalf of the coders as to why the "fun-hating jerk" proc was a thing, but it has already been reverted by the looks of it.
The music definitely seems to increase lag and the fact that it's used at the highest-pop times on the highest-pop server kinda compounds that.
lag from the Music happens entirely during the phase before you hear it. if you are hearing the music, the lag associated with said music is already over.

also, setting your volume to zero does not stop you from lagging; your client downloads it regardless of whether or not you hear it.

the "lag" from the music is mostly a placebo effect. you expect there to be lag, so you perceive any lag you get as coming from the music. this is untrue.

the reason why music seems to correspond with lag spikes is that I'm more likely to start playing a song during a lag spike than not, simply because it's more likely for the current song to end during those times that drag out. you have to remember that I'm not immune to station lag while playing music, so lag will effect how + when music is played

that said, I've been playing larger files lately because people were complaining about my retro chiptunes stuff. if this is untrue, or is causing too much trouble for people with slower connections, I'll go back to the chip tunes during music hour
by the by, the "fun hating jerk" name stuff was a one hour long gimmick code that a couple admins put in before a round where they wanted to blast bad country music and other terrible sounds as a gimmick. it was never meant to be permanent
Yeah, Stop the Music! is an entirely serious verb and usually stops all the music just fine. You just picked a really bad round to be introduced to it.
I've never had the very or the music volume verb actually do anything noticeable. Not even stop the music. For whatever reason I have to manually mute byond with a mixer (and thereby muting screams, gunshots, c-sabers etc.).
But on my surface, byond sounds are really weird anyway. I can hear farts that happen as far away as hydroponics from the research testchamber. I can hear a cyalume saber being activated on the listening post while getting my ID changed as customs. So I rather expect anything related to byond audio to be simply broken.
Christ, sorry for the doublepost, but I really need to spellcheck my posts without an edit button to modify them. I meant:
Stop the music verb has never had any effect on whether or not music keeps playing (and new songs continue to be played) for me.