Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good notes.
I was thinking about how most notes have a negative vibe to them, and if an admin who doesn't know you well were to check the notes, they would most likely punish you harder if your notes were bad. So what if admins started putting good notes? Not useless stuff like "This guy is a good traitor" or anything useless to charector, but stuff like "Helps many new people" or "Reports bugs often" or "Was very polite/respectful when questioned". Although good behavior doesn't excuse bad behavior, it would still allow the admins to get a clearer view on the person, and let them have a better understanding if the player is there to be toxic, if the player atleast tries to benefit the server, or if the player is benefitting the server bad made a bad mistake somewhere.
Vellyssa Wrote:or if the player is benefitting the server bad made a bad mistake somewhere.
That is supposed to read: or if the player is benefitting the server a lot and made a bad mistake somewhere.
It's certainly less common than bad notes, but some people do have good notes already.
Notes do tend to be documentation of past badness, but they also hold information about traitor IOUs etc.

Also notes don't generally hold information about someone's character. They'll say if you were spoken to about some sort of badness in the past. They'll give directions like if someone should be banned next time something happens, etc.

I don't really disagree with a long rap sheet causing harsher punishments.
Having one of those tends to imply you're consistently up to no good at the detriment of others.

As long as we trust each other to not add notes to people for no reason, something I personally trust the other admins not to do and something I hope the community at large trusts us not to do there should not be any issue with how notes are currently handled.

Also as conor mentioned, there are people with good notes. It's just that the good people rarely warrant admin intervention.
How about we allow people to view any notes they have. That way if someone has done something dumb in the past they could improve on it.
Or acknowledge that someone has appreciated some kinda work they have done for the game and that they're being appreciated for it or something.
Or even be reminded that they have a free traitor round to use.
Megapaco Wrote:How about we allow people to view any notes they have. That way if someone has done something dumb in the past they could improve on it.
Or acknowledge that someone has appreciated some kinda work they have done for the game and that they're being appreciated for it or something.
I kind of enjoy the thin veil of denial that allows me to pretend my past transgressions went unnoticed.
DyssalC Wrote:
Megapaco Wrote:How about we allow people to view any notes they have. That way if someone has done something dumb in the past they could improve on it.
I kind of enjoy the thin veil of denial that allows me to pretend my past transgressions went unnoticed.

I prefer being in denial with "my rap sheet is probably nonexistent by now"

The last time I got banned I think it might have been popecrunch with the portapoo incident. Never been permabanned and don't plan on doing something stupid enough to be permabanned.
My denial is mostly: "My notes are so few and far in between and at worst the only offense is basically I jumped the gun and someone died. Also that Wonk thinks i'm play2win."

I don't think we need "good notes" per say, but useful information should an admin ever want to run a gimmick in regards to creativity/veterancy/skill etc.

Just little things admins may notice about players should they need information/their opinion/their abilities for something, rather than as some sort of counter to "bad notes."
OP, I don't think you'd have "helps many new people" anyway. I played with you once and immediately after I joined you and some sec guy were both on segways following me and ramming me repeatedly, despite never stopping long enough to talk to each other. You then took my stuff and said "don't ever mess with me again." Then you both left. Best I could figure you had confused me with someone else and had a weird meta grudge.
TailorTok Wrote:OP, I don't think you'd have "helps many new people" anyway. I played with you once and immediately after I joined you and some sec guy were both on segways following me and ramming me repeatedly, despite never stopping long enough to talk to each other. You then took my stuff and said "don't ever mess with me again." Then you both left. Best I could figure you had confused me with someone else and had a weird meta grudge.

honestly this isn't the best place to complain about stuff like this.. it's not like hes applying for mentor or anything AFAIK shrug

but this idea seems pointless kind of. people who'd be likely to HAVE good notes are people who wouldnt really need them in terms of a ban appeal. plus if it's that noteworthy, i'm sure admins would pop in with "this guy has been cool in the past and i have a good opinion of him because of that" and the ban would be reduced/removed.

(plus the admins saying this is a thing that happens, just rarely)
This is meta-information that ought to stay in the hands of those who can do something with it.

Something something comparing notes something
LinkDaWolf Wrote:
TailorTok Wrote:OP, I don't think you'd have "helps many new people" anyway. I played with you once and immediately after I joined you and some sec guy were both on segways following me and ramming me repeatedly, despite never stopping long enough to talk to each other. You then took my stuff and said "don't ever mess with me again." Then you both left. Best I could figure you had confused me with someone else and had a weird meta grudge.

honestly this isn't the best place to complain about stuff like this.. it's not like hes applying for mentor or anything AFAIK shrug

but this idea seems pointless kind of. people who'd be likely to HAVE good notes are people who wouldnt really need them in terms of a ban appeal. plus if it's that noteworthy, i'm sure admins would pop in with "this guy has been cool in the past and i have a good opinion of him because of that" and the ban would be reduced/removed.

(plus the admins saying this is a thing that happens, just rarely)

I'm not asking for him to get banned or anything, just saying I think his post reeks of trying to build up points for a "get out of jail free" card.