Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Traitor Chaplain Suggestion: Ghost Sense
There was a vaguely related idea mentioned in the Ghost Haircut thread, but since the Chaplain already has the ability to hear whispers of the dead more often than the normal crew, why not give them some manner of item that either lets them see ghosts (possibly without names) or hear more/all of deadchat (definitely without names).

The chance for meta shitlery exists (as again brought up in the ghost haircut thread), but restricting it to a traitor item trims the odds/frequency down, and once it becomes obvious to deadchat that the Chaplain can interact with them somewhat (especially since the Chaplain will probably try to get the ghosts attention to help his nefarious plots), they can choose to help or mislead him. Imagine

Chaplain: "Hey ghosts, where/who's the HoP? I wanna kill him"
Ghost 1: "He's Pubs McGee in Botany" (Pubs McGee is a traitor who killed him)
Ghost 2: "He's Shitty Bill"
Ghost 3: "He's Urist Publord in the kitchen"
Ghost 4: "Yeah it's Publord in the kitchen"
(Urist Publord is a changeling)
Ghost 5: "The clown in QM"
Ghost 6: "*scream"

The Chaplain wouldn't see any names, so he can follow the stream of assorted conflicting advice (or one dedicated person fucking with him) to his benefit or peril.

Alternatively, if he had ghost vision (which already is a thing, but giving him instant easy access, preferably hidden, would be neat), "Hey ghosts, come float over these labeled papers so I can do a ouija reading" *all the ghosts sit on the bible instead*, or "Hey ghosts, lead me to the captain" *ghosts float towards a closed room full of space wasps*
I think more or less the attitude of the admins has been ghosts shouldn't have a role in the round.

Personally, I like the idea of a traitor Chaplain trying to parse useful information from a bunch of ghosts screaming at them. Sounds hilarious.

Another way to do it could be have something like a Magic 8 ball, and a random ghost could pick what phrase comes up once shaken. Or no one answers and they get "Ask again later"
Frank_Stein Wrote:Personally, I like the idea of a traitor Chaplain trying to parse useful information from a bunch of ghosts screaming at them. Sounds hilarious.

Imagine a traitor chaplain injecting their Spectral Surround Sound implant and then realizing they cant turn it off, so each radio broadcast is drowned out by the perpetual chatter of the restless dead.
Archenteron Wrote:
Frank_Stein Wrote:Personally, I like the idea of a traitor Chaplain trying to parse useful information from a bunch of ghosts screaming at them. Sounds hilarious.

Imagine a traitor chaplain injecting their Spectral Surround Sound implant and then realizing they cant turn it off, so each radio broadcast is drowned out by the perpetual chatter of the restless dead.
it should also increase the chances of hearing muffled sounds when close to the chaplain
With wraiths around, I'm not so sure about this.
APARTHEID Wrote:With wraiths around, I'm not so sure about this.

Well wraiths can already directly talk to you if they want.
This idea is one of those ideas where you say to yourself "why hasn't this been thought of before"

Fuck satanism
Fuck green toolboxes
This equally hap hazard item works for the chaplain completely. It's great because a traitor can't really be meta about this because he's not bound to the same rules as all the crew members. He'll hear ghosts lament about their death and laugh. He'll hear traitors lament about their death and potentially rescue them. He'll hear how they died and will be aware of what threat that's lies in the shadows for him.
This cons match the pros. The ghost chat WOULD drown out the radio chatter, particularly if an antagonist has gone to town, or the ghosts. The chaplain has chosen to snoop on the ghosts and their ill advice at the cost of his sanity.
Chaplain O'Hara shouts, " STOP TALKING ABOUT GAME MECHANICS, YOU SHITS"

How would this effect wraiths? These guys barely talk as is, and ghosts revealing their location isn't much use to the traitor chaplain, who would probably let the wraith be.
Some kind of ouija would be fun, like letting ghosts arrange papers if some setup conditions are met it the chapel. Basically anything that lets ghosts have fun without totally ruining the round would be awesome. Straight up ghost chat sounds a little OP though.
If anything this just improves the wraith-traitor synergy, which is a good thing. Wraiths working with the traitor chaplain would be a good thing.
DyssalC Wrote:
If anything this just improves the wraith-traitor synergy, which is a good thing. Wraiths working with the traitor chaplain would be a good thing.
This is a very good thing, and a thing I'm sad doesn't happen more frequently. Though, in my single wraith round, I was too busy haunting the shit out of medbay to try any traitor-wraith synergy, and no traitors actively sought me out, so...
Wraiths are already basically invincible, why do they even need to work with anyone? You can't hit a wraith enough with anything other than a csword to kill it before it dematerializes
I kinda like the idea, I'd also like to see the chaplain get some more fun traitory options.

And, as an aside, you already can make Ouija boards.
Step 1: Get some metal and make 38 chairs in the chapel.
Step 2: Label 38 papers: A->Z; 0->9; Yes and No. and drop each one on a chair
Step 3: entreat the ghost people to come and marvel at your creations, ask them questions and have them spin the chairs to answer them.
Step 4: Be entirely ignored by ghosts and have all of your papers set on fire by bored assistants with lighters/flamethrowers

I've run through this sequence of events a few times.
I-Sett Wrote:I kinda like the idea, I'd also like to see the chaplain get some more fun traitory options.

And, as an aside, you already can make Ouija boards.
Step 1: Get some metal and make 38 chairs in the chapel.
Step 2: Label 38 papers: A->Z; 0->9; Yes and No. and drop each one on a chair
Step 3: entreat the ghost people to come and marvel at your creations, ask them questions and have them spin the chairs to answer them.
Step 4: Be entirely ignored by ghosts and have all of your papers set on fire by bored assistants with lighters/flamethrowers

I've run through this sequence of events a few times.

I feel like if ghosts knew chaplain was running a ouija board gimmick, the following converstation would take place.

Ghost: Hey guys lets get the chaplain to say fart.

F

A

R

T

OH GOD THE DEAD IS COMMUNICATING, IT NEEDS TO PASS GAS!