Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shuttle Call needs a rehaul on low pop servers
i play mostly on servers 1 and 2, so i dont know how big a problem this is on high population servers, but this is how most of the rounds on the low pop servers go:

- people go to these servers with a specific goal in mind, be it a solarium run or figuring out secret chems
keep in mind that these things take multiple hours to do, so its *very* annoying if you forcefully get interrupted by round end.
- if someone dies and the shuttle gets auto-called, people who haven't reached their goal are like "hell no" and rush to the bridge to recall the shuttle.
- after reaching their goals, the players get bored and go braindead, so there is nobody left to call the shuttle
- dead person has to wait multiple hours until they can join a new game unless they are lucky to get cloned.

the main problem here is that we have 2 parties - the living and the dead
the living (who are the ones who get to decide whether the shuttle gets called or not)
don't really have an incentive to call the shuttle, or even have good reason to block any call attempts.
the only ones who are interested in a shuttle call are the dead players (because they want to join into the round again)
but they have to wait until the alive players decide that the round is over.

some suggestions to resolve the situation:
- remove auto-call when people die - because in the current form its kinda pointless, since 90% of auto-calls get recalled immediately.
- instead shuttle gets auto-called after a fixed time and cant be recalled - make the fixed time something like 5-6h and pepole still have enough time to experiment
- respawn for ghosts (limited to 1x per hour) - give the dead people a chance to rejoin the game without waiting a ridiculous amount of hours,
but still limit respawn because i think immortality affects play-style in a bad way ('selling my own butt at faint signal, because i can just respawn to grow a new one...' :downs: ), and makes stuff too easy (especially the telesci adventures)
The auto-call has its uses but would probably be surpassed, at least on extended, by simply having a shuttle-call/recall vote PDA option.
with pda voting it is still the living players who decide if the shuttle gets called, and most people will probably vote against it.
the dead wont get a say in this.

(maybe just make all the ghosts into wraithes if the round goes on to long....so they can make the life of the other players into hell until someone decides to call the shuttle9 Heh.
Living players are still usually pretty good about it AND they may still have experiments going on. That shouldn't be ruined by ghosts.
if you wanted a say in when the shuttle gets called, you shouldn't have died. death is meant to be a punishment.

when living players make courtesy calls for dead people, that's polite but not required.
leave it as it is, forget you people, it is the burden of the living to recall the shuttle, deal with it. cool
Just ask someone to scan you in the cloner before you go do dumb stuff and die. I always offer as geneticist on the low pop servers, most don't take me up on it.
People who are trying to run their own independent experiments and such should be under no obligation to cut off said experiments prematurely to end the round for people who failed to take the necessary precautions against their permanent death, are bored, or just died unexpectedly because shit happens. Shit happens, people die. It's kind of a fact of life on Space Station 13, and while it may suck a lot if a badass experiment is prematurely ended due to biting the bullet, you need to know and accept that before you do anything. Furthermore, there are three other perfectly good servers you can dick around on while you wait for the next round to start. Hell, the lowpop secret server typically has such a low population density that it might as well be a second extended server in almost all cases.

Just because it's an extended round doesn't mean there shouldn't be any consequence for dying.
On the other hand an hour respawn timer is not an unreasonable compromise. It doesn't hurt anyone, if you're such a shit traitor that you've killed someone AN HOUR ago, you need to get called out.
screw that if we're talking about respawns why not give respawns on extended?
BeardedElectron Wrote:screw that if we're talking about respawns why not give respawns on extended?

To be fair construction mode has respawn on all the time. But on the other hand this would also be an excuse for idiots BLOW UP EVERYTHING.
compromise:

1) you can respawn hourly
2) the respawn point is directly over a pool of lava
TailorTok Wrote:On the other hand an hour respawn timer is not an unreasonable compromise. It doesn't hurt anyone, if you're such a shit traitor that you've killed someone AN HOUR ago, you need to get called out.
BeardedElectron Wrote:screw that if we're talking about respawns why not give respawns on extended?
Because I bet you that this will cause swarms of assholes who get killed on lowpop, (possibly for justified reasons, but maybe not, either way) respawn, and IMMEDIATELY try to hunt down the person who killed them. It's a hunch, but lowpop rounds tend to have enough of a problem with this kind of bullshit as is.

The only reasons why respawns work on construction mode is that everyone on the round is explicitly meant to cooperate on building a space station; not everyone is really together on extended rounds, and some rounds on lowpop secret actually have the traitors trying to be traitors, maybe trying out new strategies in a relatively controlled environment or something. It's a reasonable suggestion, but opens the door for too much vigilante bullshit for me to feel comfortable with it.
That vigilante bullshit you speak of is a good thing when you have a changeling captain who eats the whole crew, stops the shuttle, and hangs out in arrivals acid spitting everyone who joins.

Seriously if you are traitor and making everyone sit dead for hours you need to be hunted down by a vigilante ghost squad.
TailorTok Wrote:That vigilante bullshit you speak of is a good thing when you have a changeling captain who eats the whole crew, stops the shuttle, and hangs out in arrivals acid spitting everyone who joins.

Seriously if you are traitor and making everyone sit dead for hours you need to be hunted down by a vigilante ghost squad.
This isn't what I was talking about, at all. People who do this are shitheads, yes, but that's what adminhelp is for. A vigilante ghost squad is not necessary.