Hokie's Mentor Application
Usual Character Name:Ian McNabb
BYOND Username:Hokie
Recommended by (if applicable):
Times Available:Weekdays;3:15 Pm EST - approx 10:00 PM EST, Weekends; Depends

Reason for Application + Game Experience (300 word minimum):

I am applying today because, well, for one, there’s not much to do when you’re dead. I guess a real reason

would be far too many times have I seen kiddos of all kinds ask questions, and stupid or not, I wish to

answer them. I have been on the station since early May, and have been steadily been working on increasing

my knowledge of a 2d spaceman Shrek game ever since. I typically play as Captain or AI, and sometimes

Chief Engineer. Despite the jobs I play, most of my knowledge is about the games amount of unusual items.

I have no experience in research things such as Mixing, Chemistry, or telescience, so I doubt I could

answer any questions about that, but I have a moderate amount of experience in engineering, so that could

be a second thing, in case item knowledge doesn’t make the cut. I try to maintain good relations with both

players and admins, and doing so typically works out. My main plan as mentor would be to prevent player

rage gained from fucking with admin spawned items, so less people can get banned, and they can convert to

slightly less horrible crewmembers. I am always on the IRC when I play, so anyone can easily contact me

there too. I do take notes of things I learn, so I can use them for later use, so that may be of some use.

I guess a thing about my experience, or lack thereof, is I no longer like playing captain; it just gets so

boring so quickly, you die, you become Junior Head of Security, or you just walk around, not exactly my

idea of fun anymore. I can’t call this the most interesting or unique application ever, but I hope you’ll

take it into consideration.

Your opinion of Shrek (5 word minimum): Damn those some nice ogre layers.

Previous Bans (While this will not affect your application lying about it will):

Banned for 5 hours for ic in ooc
What the fuck is with the format?
AdenAbrafOfTheO Wrote:What the fuck is with the format?

Accidental double spacing, wish I could edit my posts.
Here it is slightly less screwed up.

Usual Character Name:Ian McNabb
BYOND Username:Hokie
Recommended by (if applicable):
Times Available:Weekdays;3:15 Pm EST - approx 10:00 PM EST, Weekends; Depends

Reason for Application + Game Experience (300 word minimum):
I am applying today because, well, for one, there’s not much to do when you’re dead. I guess a real reason
would be far too many times have I seen kiddos of all kinds ask questions, and stupid or not, I wish to
answer them. I have been on the station since early May, and have been steadily been working on increasing
my knowledge of a 2d spaceman Shrek game ever since. I typically play as Captain or AI, and sometimes
Chief Engineer. Despite the jobs I play, most of my knowledge is about the games amount of unusual items.
I have no experience in research things such as Mixing, Chemistry, or telescience, so I doubt I could
answer any questions about that, but I have a moderate amount of experience in engineering, so that could
be a second thing, in case item knowledge doesn’t make the cut. I try to maintain good relations with both
players and admins, and doing so typically works out. My main plan as mentor would be to prevent player
rage gained from fucking with admin spawned items, so less people can get banned, and they can convert to
slightly less horrible crewmembers. I am always on the IRC when I play, so anyone can easily contact me
there too. I do take notes of things I learn, so I can use them for later use, so that may be of some use.
I guess a thing about my experience, or lack thereof, is I no longer like playing captain; it just gets so
boring so quickly, you die, you become Junior Head of Security, or you just walk around, not exactly my
idea of fun anymore. I can’t call this the most interesting or unique application ever, but I hope you’ll
take it into consideration.

Your opinion of Shrek (5 word minimum): Damn those some nice ogre layers.

Previous Bans (While this will not affect your application lying about it will):
Banned for 5 hours for ic in ooc
I've never actually seen you ever so I can't really say anything besides.

Who are you even? Did you play on g3 or g4? Do you have anyone that can speak on your behalf?
I have seen Ian McNabb play often. He's a good captain for sure. I haven't seen much of him as a standard security officer though.
I've only seen this guy when he's parading around the halls as captain. While he's decent at that and polite enough, I've never seen him in any other role. Also, I've not seen or heard of him pulling anything particularly notable or creative either as a traitor or just someone playing around.

I'm sure he's a decent player, but I don't think that mostly playing captain and engineer by the book is enough for this. His stated goal of trying to "prevent player rage gained from fucking with admin spawned items, so less people can get banned" seems a bit silly to me - admin fuckery doesn't generally end up with newbies being banned, and mentorhelp questions (from what I've seen since coming aboard) tend to be more along the lines of "How do I be a fun bartender?" and "What spells would you say are good for a first-time wizard?" rather than "I just found a Fist of the Robusters. Griff time?".

If you are getting bored as a captain, go out there and try new things! Forget playing security, since enforcing the law as captain got boring for you. Try a whole bunch of different jobs, and do a different thing each time you play. If you see someone else do something cool, try and work out how they did it and how you can improve on it.

Basically, do more stuff and relax a little. Your mentor application is far too serious, and you could do with taking a break from rote patrolling and setting up the singularity.
Anticheese Wrote:I've only seen this guy when he's parading around the halls as captain. While he's decent at that and polite enough, I've never seen him in any other role. Also, I've not seen or heard of him pulling anything particularly notable or creative either as a traitor or just someone playing around.

I'm sure he's a decent player, but I don't think that mostly playing captain and engineer by the book is enough for this. His stated goal of trying to "prevent player rage gained from fucking with admin spawned items, so less people can get banned" seems a bit silly to me - admin fuckery doesn't generally end up with newbies being banned, and mentorhelp questions (from what I've seen since coming aboard) tend to be more along the lines of "How do I be a fun bartender?" and "What spells would you say are good for a first-time wizard?" rather than "I just found a Fist of the Robusters. Griff time?".

If you are getting bored as a captain, go out there and try new things! Forget playing security, since enforcing the law as captain got boring for you. Try a whole bunch of different jobs, and do a different thing each time you play. If you see someone else do something cool, try and work out how they did it and how you can improve on it.

Basically, do more stuff and relax a little. Your mentor application is far too serious, and you could do with taking a break from rote patrolling and setting up the singularity.

Thanks for the advice, I've been trying to play as HoP and scientist recently, and I'm gonna try and branch out a bit. In hindsight, the reason I gave was horrible, and having no reason at all probably would have been better. I really just wanted to get that part over with, as I couldn't figure out what to say. Thank you for the constructive criticism
Update: I'm coming back to goonstation after a while, I'll probably make a better reason thing later.
Hokie Wrote:Update: I'm coming back to goonstation after a while, I'll probably make a better reason thing later.
The day Hokie came home.