Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Medical Vending Machine
In the chat, we were tossing around various ideas about giving the station a functioning economy, or a reason for money to exist. Some ideas were a little elaborate, but hipbee hit on something I think is a really good idea-- vending machines that publicly sell simple healing items (like patches) at a huge markup.

If this were added, then we could remove or severely limit the effectiveness of the medibot. Right now that darn thing makes doctors a boring, obsolete job, but it is a necessary evil because people have no recourse when there's no doctors around. With a medicine vending machine, people would naturally want to go to doctors for the injuries first, but if none were around (or medbay was blown up), they wouldn't be completely screwed over.

The machine could also be a source of some of the components for hobo drugs, giving people a way (at a cost!) to brew them without having to take a bunch of horrid discount dan's byproducts in their drug.

I also feel this thematically fits with the general horribleness of how NT regards its employees, but it's not like we really care about that stuff here, heh.
This sounds like a great idea, I would love for there to be more uses for money besides being running a shop in the QM. But I think that there should be more things than just medical supplies that are sold, There should be other essential things like oxygen tanks, fire extinguishers, and of course, a variety of zoo animals.

But what would be necessary to make this work is fixing the ATMs so that they can be used more easily. Right now it is such a hassle because whenever you want to use them you need to backtrack through the text logs to find out your PIN. And even then you are unable to just copy and paste it into the spot in the ATMs (which I find ridiculous since traitor PDAs can have the code pasted into them). Either fix it so this can happen or make it so that you must touch the ATM with an open hand to recognize your fingerprint after you swipe your card.
i think the crux of the money problem is that we don't have anything fun to buy.
Shoddy Wrote:i think the crux of the money problem is that we don't have anything fun to buy that we can legally use in ways that make it fun.
kyle2143 Wrote:a variety of zoo animals.

What is with you nerds and zoo animals
Dangerous animals are cool! 8-)
Klayboxx Wrote:
kyle2143 Wrote:a variety of zoo animals.

What is with you nerds and zoo animals

Dude, to make a zoo... IN SPACE. It's pretty awesome. And should there be a zoo animal vendor, it's almost obligatory that a emagged one can vend space-yetis and space-bees... So yeah.
oh for fuck's sake
how did this turn into zoo shit? I just want to buy overpriced medical goods if the doctors are awful/dead
Vending machines in general are a good idea. I think stockable vending machines would be cool.

But yes, on topic, i think this is an amazing idea.
Well, in actuality, it would just be frustrating to have zoo animals come from vendors. But it just seemed like the thing to say since I bet there are some people who would actually want to buy these animals. But having them distribute medical supplies or internal supplies would be very useful.

The main thing I was trying to say before and what I want to reiterate now is that the way players access their money should be somewhat simplified. That is, if there are to be certain things sold that are more useful and expensive than lime-aid or robust coffee. Few people use money, not just because there is little to buy, but because it is a hassle to get.
please do not shit up this thread with general economy/money/zoo suggestions
Please, lets just NOT talk about arbitrary shit that we know will never get in and actually talk about the idea here, which was good. i support the idea of medical supplies in vending machines for a high price. smile
Remove the Medical ID lock from the Medbay vending machine and allow non medical staff the ability to purchase the items in the machine for money. People who insert a medical id get the items for free.
I like this idea, and always felt like there should be more vending machines in general.. Nanotrasen love to make a profit don't they?

The following types of vending machine would be neat:

Tool vendor
The idea in this thread
'emergency supplies' vendor (breath masks, firesuits etc)