Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Synergy with Pathology
A lot of departments have this synergy system going on, where they can both combine what they do create something better than either of them could create on their own. For instance, Botany can grow all sorts of stuff for the Bar/Kitchen to make new recipes that they'd otherwise be unable to. Or, Mining works with various departments (QM, robotics, etc.) to keep them supplied with materials. What if we got a synergy going on between Genetics and Pathology too? There's no reason why DNA injectors wouldn't be able to work on pathogens, as well as humans. Now, a lot of mutations like blindness or epilepsy would probably be ridiculous, but something like glowy or the honey mutation works perfectly. If Genetics lends Pathology a glowy-injector, Pathology can then insert that into a pathogen to produce bio-luminescence. Anyone then infected would also glow until the disease was cured. Something like the honey mutation could lead to the pathogen producing honey from its petri dish and a person infected with the disease would have honey being pumped directly into their bloodstream. This idea isn't even that far-fetched. Insulin, for example, is artificially synthesized in yeast and E. coli bacteria. Inducing bacteria to produce bio-luminescence is a common high school science lab.

To expand on this, we could also allow people to use pathogens as little factories for all sorts of chemicals by working with the Chemistry Department. Like how E. coli makes insulin, we could let people make synthflesh from a pathogen. The pathogen would then produce it from their petri dish and, if infecting a crew member, inject it immediately into the patient. Of course, any chemicals would need to be supplied from Chemistry and, by extension, force the crew to work together to achieve something. As for crew members with a lust for blood seeking to make sarin-producing viruses, the poison would also cause harm to the pathogen. Trying to make a neurotoxin bacteria would kill the bacteria before it hurt anyone (perhaps, for the traitor pathologist, a special pathogen immune to poisons that could wreck the station if it wasn't treated). After all, something that can easily kill humans can be just as deadly to a fungus. It would have to be reasonably difficult to induce pathogens to make any chemicals, though. If there's a virus going around that pumps everyone full of heals ever round it would be very annoying for a traitor. Keeping it rare, but very useful, makes it all the more rewarding for Pathology.
No fuck genetics, plus that'd allow them to become the tk-laser eyed-completely resistant-hulk they would want to be by circumventing the instability.

As for the other thing, I think something similar was already said no to, and I still see no purpose to it OTHER THAN THERE ONLY BEING LIKE 4 HEALING MUTATIONS MARQ Argh!
cgrn10 Wrote:No fuck genetics, plus that'd allow them to become the tk-laser eyed-completely resistant-hulk they would want to be by circumventing the instability.

As for the other thing, I think something similar was already said no to, and I still see no purpose to it OTHER THAN THERE ONLY BEING LIKE 4 HEALING MUTATIONS MARQ Argh!

some synergy would be nice though, for example loading up a virus with a genetic power for a cheaper and easier time handing out powers, or disabilities for the more traitorously inclined. Contagious irritable bowel syndrome hoooo!
cgrn10 Wrote:No fuck genetics, plus that'd allow them to become the tk-laser eyed-completely resistant-hulk they would want to be by circumventing the instability.
I agree. Pathogens shouldn't give people genetic mutations, it'd just be too powerful. It's more about giving the pathogens themselves the mutations, then adding those mutations as one of the symptoms of the pathogen - like the honey mutation causes a bacteria to make honey, but releases it into the blood stream (probably just as sugar) rather than letting people create honey like the mutation normally does. I'm not sure what something like hulk or laser eyes would do to a pathogen, but it certainly shouldn't make someone a genetically decked out beast.
Karakoran Wrote:
I agree. Pathogens shouldn't give people genetic mutations, it'd just be too powerful. It's more about giving the pathogens themselves the mutations, then adding those mutations as one of the symptoms of the pathogen - like the honey mutation causes a bacteria to make honey, but releases it into the blood stream (probably just as sugar) rather than letting people create honey like the mutation normally does. I'm not sure what something like hulk or laser eyes would do to a pathogen, but it certainly shouldn't make someone a genetically decked out beast.
I can see some neat effects. Like, adding Telekinesis to a disease makes it transmissible by memetics like speech.
Frank_Stein Wrote:
Karakoran Wrote:
I can see some neat effects. Like, adding Telekinesis to a disease makes it transmissible by memetics like speech.

Pathogens already have a transmission by speak symptom
Here's ideas for them:
Radiation -> Increases the mutability of the pathogen (maybe also release radiation in low doses?)
Alcohol Resistance -> Pathogen releases antihol into the blood stream
Immolation -> Pathogen heats up the patient when infected, more like a fever than on fire. Can be injected into donk pockets as portable microwave.
Cryokinesis -> Similar, but instead cools the patient.
Cloak of Darkness -> Pathogen turns black, causes infected's blood, skin, other organs, etc. to turn black as well
Matter Eater -> Pathogen drastically increases consumption speed of anything inside the infected aside from blood and things used to treat pathogens like spaceacilin.
Dissolve -> Kills the pathogen.
Chameleon -> The pathogen is invisible to the naked eye or with the microscope. Can still be detected by health analyzer, though.
SMES Human -> Pathogen randomly releases short electric stuns to the infected.
And so on.

Like I said, nothing game-breaking, just nice little combinations to give Pathology something to do.
Karakoran Wrote:Here's ideas for them:
Radiation -> Increases the mutability of the pathogen (maybe also release radiation in low doses?)
Immolation -> Pathogen heats up the patient when infected, more like a fever than on fire. Can be injected into donk pockets as portable microwave.
Cloak of Darkness -> Pathogen turns black, causes infected's blood, skin, other organs, etc. to turn black as well
Matter Eater -> Pathogen drastically increases consumption speed of anything inside the infected aside from blood and things used to treat pathogens like spaceacilin.
Chameleon -> The pathogen is invisible to the naked eye or with the microscope. Can still be detected by health analyzer, though.
And so on.

Like I said, nothing game-breaking, just nice little combinations to give Pathology something to do.

Radiation is a thing I think, cant say 100% on that,
Alcohol resistance is pretty much there considering it stays in your blood stream for maybe 10ish seconds
Immolation, cryokinsesis are things
MAtter eater is a thing,
Smes is a thing,
And chameleon would literally make it impossible to cure without super extensive trial and error
cgrn10 Wrote:Pathogens already have a transmission by speak symptom
Well dang. I have to say, I don't actually know all the ins and outs of the current system
Karakoran Wrote:Here's ideas for them:
And so on.

Better suggestion for chameleon.

>Chameleon--> Your blood and skin randomly change color every once in a while, organs also are random colors.