Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Change weapon sounds to reflect power
So, the fire extinguisher makes a loud, recognizable sound. This is kind of a tradeoff, because while it is an easily available, strong, easy-to-KO-with weapon, you have to be careful where you use it as it attracts a ton of attention.

On the other hand a lot of other items seem to have the same properties as the fire extinguisher, but don't make a sound.

I think most of the 'easy to KO with' weapons should at least make some sort of sound. A some of these do already (like the cyalume saber and tasers, ). But there's a lot of weapons that don't - the baton, gas tanks, rods, etc.

Making these weapons loud would broaden your choices by making other weapons a lot more viable, depending on the situation. You need to kill someone next to that busy hallway? You might consider weapons like a crowbar, fork, cakehat, or briefcase.

Of course, some weapons' damage values and knockout rate might need to be changed to reflect whether or not they make a sound. For example,the spoon shouldn't make a sound, but it's currently really good for knockouts. Also, the chainsaw is super obvious and makes a lot of noise (screaming AND it's own sound effect) but it never seems to actually KO anybody without some time.
I agree with this and I love adding sound effects. Expect a lot more sometime soon.
Everything should have a sound, I think. I don't think the chainsaws even have a sound when they're on. If it had an idle sound of the chainsaw on and then revving up when you hit someone or something with it, it'd be a nice touch.

The electric saw should be wimpier sounding, while the gas saw should be loud and scary as fuck.I agree that some weapons don't really have a sound or they have less of a sound, like the kitchen utensils and knives/scalpels, even the glass shards don't really have a sound.

It should be within reason, anyway.

Stuff that should have sound:
  • Chainsaws when they're on (an engine noise for the gas saw and a whirr for the electric one?)
  • Chainsaws when they're used on something (also both types.)
  • Getting splashed with something from a beaker/bucket.
  • Getting hit with a rod or a stick.
  • Crowbar hit sounds on hard or soft targets.
  • Tools sounds for hitting people or hitting solid objects.
  • Getting conked with a toolbox (empty and full)
  • Getting hit with an air tank (small and large)
  • Sharp-sounding swiping noises when trying to hit with a bladed item. And stab noises.
  • Light-sabreish sound effects for the e-sword
  • Being mauled by George.
  • Getting hit with a welder. And also, using a flamethrower.
  • Pain sounds when you're struck. I recommend the sounds from Goldeneye 007.
I definitely agree with this, while it would slightly sadden me that the medic's sleeping gas tank would probably need a sound and will ruin it, it really should have one. But the stun batons do make a sound, maybe not as you beat someone to death with them, but their stunning sound is loud and obvious and one of the more frightening things to hear on the station. I don't think that every single item should need a sound when attacking, really just the ones that are common place in fights like the circular saw, gas tanks, and toolboxes. Sure there are more items used for fighting, but they are used seldom enough that I don't think many people would even notice a new sound or not.
I don't mind if there are sounds as long a they aren't as fucking loud as the cyalume saber. Goddamn I literally turn my sound all the way down whenever those jerks are around
This would probably make people really angry, but I'm kinda considering making air tanks and fire extinguishers break after too many uses as a weapon. Same sound as when a gas tank ruptures, dump the contents out immediately.
Cogwerks Wrote:This would probably make people really angry, but I'm kinda considering making air tanks and fire extinguishers break after too many uses as a weapon. Same sound as when a gas tank ruptures, dump the contents out immediately.

Jimmy Poo attacks Pubbie Anderson in the head with the fire extinguisher!
Pubbie Anderson has been knocked unconscious!

The fire extinguisher cracks under pressure!
Bath Salts sprays everywhere!
CaptainBravo Wrote:
Cogwerks Wrote:This would probably make people really angry, but I'm kinda considering making air tanks and fire extinguishers break after too many uses as a weapon. Same sound as when a gas tank ruptures, dump the contents out immediately.

Jimmy Poo attacks Pubbie Anderson in the head with the fire extinguisher!
Pubbie Anderson has been knocked unconscious!

The fire extinguisher cracks under pressure!
Bath Salts sprays everywhere!
I see zero problems with this whatsover.
Cogwerks Wrote:crime against humanity

NO NEVER YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO RIP MY EXTINGUISHER FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS BEFORE YOU CAN RUIN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

eh, try it out. Chainsaws break after a while, and yet I would never actually assault someone with a chainsaw ingame. If a person grabs an extinguisher at the start of the round, they shouldn't expect to have a reliable assault weapon in their backpack all round anyway. On space station 13, equipment is unreliable and things break!

(on a similar train of thought, can we have electronics, computers, and doors that randomly malfunction (maybe a door would bolt itself or jolt people with really weak shocks) and require an electrician or engineer to fix them?)
MyBlueCorners Wrote:(on a similar train of thought, can we have electronics, computers, and doors that randomly malfunction (maybe a door would bolt itself or jolt people with really weak shocks) and require an electrician or engineer to fix them?)
Giving engineers/electricians something to do besides make partydomes and mass produce tasers? I approve.
MyBlueCorners Wrote:(on a similar train of thought, can we have electronics, computers, and doors that randomly malfunction (maybe a door would bolt itself or jolt people with really weak shocks) and require an electrician or engineer to fix them?)

That's been a side project of mine for quite awhile actually. I'm still working on it. It'd be for electricians mostly, and it's be like this: machine [whatever] malfunctions due to damage or from sustained wear, people bitch at the electricians to fix it, electrician scans it and sees that it needs a new random part or two. Like a transistor or a relay. Slap those onto it, oh boy, all better.
Cogwerks Wrote:That's been a side project of mine for quite awhile actually. I'm still working on it. It'd be for electricians mostly, and it's be like this: machine [whatever] malfunctions due to damage or from sustained wear, people bitch at the electricians to fix it, electrician scans it and sees that it needs a new random part or two. Like a transistor or a relay. Slap those onto it, oh boy, all better.

^^This should happen with tasers especially. I know there's possibly other plans in the works to make them a little less spray & pray overstun, but it would be great if every shot had a small, but ever increasing, likelyhood to break the taser and require an electrician (or someone with access to electronics) to fix it.
Cogwerks Wrote:im going to give electricians actual responsibility hahahaha.

What?!?!?! You want to give electricians actual responsibility now, AND Make Fire Extinguishers breakable????

*scream
I highly doubt that security needs to have even more disadvantage against the antagonists, and this sounds like just giving electronics more of an opportunity to mass produce the damn things. Sure, four guys running around with rechargeable stun-guns is pretty powerful, but EVERYONE running around with them is just ridiculous.