Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[MAJOR UPGRADE][[ROBOTICS]] Cybernetic Augments
Wonk suggested Augments! That got me hype and made me want Augments, so I think the best way to help get them implemented would be to contribute ideas for it.

The AED:

The basis for most augment functionality would be the Augment Enhancement Device, or the AED. The AED would be the power unit that provides energy to the Augments a person has. The AED would be installed on the chest. The surgical procedure would involve making an incision on the torso, places the AED on the torso, then stapling it into place (Scalpel torso, AED to torso, staple torso). Once installed the AED can have a cell installed by clicking yourself with the cell with the torso targeted. To remove the cell for charging or replacement purposes you would click yourself with the torso targeted with grab intent.
(If one of you can come up with something for the limbs to do when the AED is emagged that would be fantastic)

Augment Functions:

Augments would work in 3 different ways (4 if somebody can come up with functions for when the AED is emagged). The first is unpowered. Unpowered augments will perform normal bodily functions and provide some interesting passive effects as well. The second would be powered. Powered augments would either be active use or passive use, with active use augments taking a burst of power per use and passive use augments constantly draining low amounts of power while it's active. Finally, there's electrical interference. This comes from being tazed, stun batonned, zapped by a door or grille, defibbed, or shocked by an APC or Voltagen. When an Augment gets overloaded it will have a negative effect on the Augmented subject, and usually result in loss of functionality in that particular body part.

The Eye:

With all this I propose eye surgery. The sole purpose for this would be to insert eye augments. You wouldn't have to remove them both or have two eye augments, they come out and go in as a pair. This could be done by returning the eye target option or by using the scalpel with grab intent on the head. The procedure would only require the scalpel but would take 15-20 seconds to perform for balancing reasons. Replacing eyes would be using the replacement eyes on the patient while targeting the head with grab intent and waiting 15-20 seconds.

Augments:

Cyborg Arms
Unpowered- Standard hand functionality, uninsulated electrocution from doors only stuns you.
Powered- Passive functionality, gives increased melee damage, allows for standard walls to be punches through and wall girdes to be removed from place by hand.
Electrical Interference- Loss of arm functionality for short duration.

Cyborg Legs
Unpowered- Standard leg functionality, increased movement speed for both running and walking.
Powered- Active functionality, causes you to charge forward similar to the jumpy mutation only farther.
Electrical Interference- Loss of leg functionality for short duration, only able to crawl.

Cyborg Treads
Unpowered- Standard leg functionality, no longer slip on obstacles and slicks.
Powered- Passive functionality, 5x speed boost, slip obstacles and slicks double that boost for a moment.
Electrical Interference- Loss of leg functionality for short duration, unable to move at all.

Cyborg Heart [I DON'T KNOW HOW THESE WORK CURRENTLY EVERYTHING I SAY MIGHT BE DUMB]
Unpowered- Standard heart functionality, defib can be used to escape crit, but you still have to heal injuries to avoid going back into crit.
Powered- Active functionality, recharges a good portion of stamina, increases stamina regen slightly for a time.
Electrical Interference- Double stun duration.

Cyborg Butt
Unpowered- Stand butt functionality, farts come out as cyborg farts.
Powered- Active functionality, emits high frequency toot that stuns and deafens at close range, breaks glass up to 2 tiles out from origin.
Electrical Interference- Uncontrollable farting for short duration.

Cyborg Eyes (General Vision Enhancers)
Unpowered- Standard eye functionality, blocks elevated light levels like flashes.
Powered- Passive functionality, extends sight range by 4 tiles each direction.
Electrical Interference- Blindness for short duration.

Cyborg Eyes (Thermal)
Unpowered- Standard eye functionality, can see thermal images 3 tiles out from origin.
Powered- Passive functionality, thermal imaging extends to whole screen.

Cyborg Eyes (Meson)
Unpowered- Standard eye functionality, emits low light levels in a cone in reaching 5 tiles from origin depending on the direction being faced.
Powered- Passive functionality, can see layout of rooms through walls, entire visible area is lit up.

Cyborg Eyes (Laser)
Unpowered- Standard eye functionality.
Powered- Active functionality, laser fired from eyes in direction being faced, any sort of visors/goggles/glasses will interfere with the laser and cause the damage output to lower.
Electrical Interference- Blindness for short duration and burn damage from laser overload.

Things that could get uses but I can't think of uses for them:

Cyborg Heads - Maybe replacement skulls?

Cyborg Chests - Something that helps prevent burn damage from fire? Bullet-proof? Entire chest replacement? Skin replacement?

Chainsaw Arms - Can't be too powerful but feels like it should be mentioned anyways.

Different functions for different cyborg part variants (Light/Standard/Sturdy/Heavy) - Maybe not all of them but maybe some of them.

Emag functionality - Oh god I don't even know where to start.
No skul-gun no deal[u][/u
Some dumb ideas:

Magnetic Boots upgrade: Augments can now make use of electromagnets inside standard cyborg legs and treads, as a sort of impromptu space grip. This consumes power.

Stun glove upgrade: Augmentation engineers have discovered a flaw in the robot arms grounding design when used with puny human bodies that can cause electrical shocks. But since they figured out why and probably added some safety things it's now a feature ™.

Cooldown required in order to shock again.

Change robot butt powered to allow fart based space travel for a short burst, like how fart supposedly originally worked. (iirc nerds could fart in space to pilot themselves, but I could be imagining that)
I've got some ideas for emag functionality. Feel free to comment on specific entries.

Cyborg Arms - Causes you to uncontrollably punch any nearby people, a la bath salts. If there aren't any people around, you punch yourself occasionally.
Cyborg Legs - Causes frequent bursts of movement confusion, or CONSTANT movement confusion if you want to get really evil.
Cyborg Treads - Turns the wearer into a living segway, making stopping incredibly difficult and causing a collision with anyone you hit.
Cyborg Heart - When shocked by a defib, the heart explodes, stops, or does some other kind of incredibly nasty thing.
Cyborg Butt - Wearer becomes completely unable to fart. Truly the most heinous out of all of these.
Cyborg Eyes (General Vision Enhancers) - Gives you heavily decreased vision range.
Cyborg Eyes (Thermal) - Looking into heat sources like plasma fires, trying to weld, or anything else of the sort will cause a hefty dose of burn damage, stun you for a time, and cause permanent blindness if you stare too long.
Cyborg Eyes (Meson) - Makes everything appear really damn dark.
Cyborg Eyes (Laser) - The laser bounces off of reflective surfaces like windows. Furthermore, if the wearer has any kind of glasses on, the laser will reflect right into their eyes, cause permanent vision loss, and a whole lot of burn damage.[/list
I am actively planning on augments/surgery overhaul being the first major project I tackle once I'm comfortable enough with the code, as a heads up.
I think some general implants could also impart some upgrades.

Some rando ideas:
-an internal radio

Critcal health revival and recovery system. Injects certain revive chems, stimulates heart when owner enters crit. Loudly beeps to alert others.

-Radioscoper. Gives more details on examination of certain things. For instance, it will tell you the contents of people's pockets, if they have implants.

-Hacking upgrade that lets you slowly patch into door controls and computers

-Explosive protection field. Detonates fired and thrown explosives before they come close enough to do major damage.

All of them could run off the AED power system.
Target circuit pulse: Basically a mulitool you can use without a screwdriver and from a distance
Amuys Wrote:No skul-gun no deal
I don't know what that is. What is that?

atomic1fire Wrote:Some dumb ideas:

Magnetic Boots upgrade: Augments can now make use of electromagnets inside standard cyborg legs and treads, as a sort of impromptu space grip. This consumes power.

Stun glove upgrade: Augmentation engineers have discovered a flaw in the robot arms grounding design when used with puny human bodies that can cause electrical shocks. But since they figured out why and probably added some safety things it's now a feature ™.

Cooldown required in order to shock again.

Change robot butt powered to allow fart based space travel for a short burst, like how fart supposedly originally worked. (iirc nerds could fart in space to pilot themselves, but I could be imagining that)

I definitely like the mag boots upgrade. I'm not entirely certain about the stun glove upgrade, mainly because shocks are supposed to overload the AED, but I guess discharging power from the arms is different from a shock. I like your idea for the butt, making it like a jetpack so that it can allow for movement in space, but I also REALLY like my original one. Maybe there could be multiple butt augments?
How upgrades would work is beyond me. Maybe you install them into your AED? Works like borg upgrades, you can have a maximum of 3 upgrades.

BaneOfGiygas Wrote:I've got some ideas for emag functionality. Feel free to comment on specific entries.
  • Cyborg Arms - Causes you to uncontrollably punch any nearby people, a la bath salts. If there aren't any people around, you punch yourself occasionally.
    Cyborg Legs - Causes frequent bursts of movement confusion, or CONSTANT movement confusion if you want to get really evil.
    Cyborg Treads - Turns the wearer into a living segway, making stopping incredibly difficult and causing a collision with anyone you hit.
    Cyborg Heart - When shocked by a defib, the heart explodes, stops, or does some other kind of incredibly nasty thing.
    Cyborg Butt - Wearer becomes completely unable to fart. Truly the most heinous out of all of these.
    Cyborg Eyes (General Vision Enhancers) - Gives you heavily decreased vision range.
    Cyborg Eyes (Thermal) - Looking into heat sources like plasma fires, trying to weld, or anything else of the sort will cause a hefty dose of burn damage, stun you for a time, and cause permanent blindness if you stare too long.
    Cyborg Eyes (Meson) - Makes everything appear really damn dark.
    Cyborg Eyes (Laser) - The laser bounces off of reflective surfaces like windows. Furthermore, if the wearer has any kind of glasses on, the laser will reflect right into their eyes, cause permanent vision loss, and a whole lot of burn damage.

I like all of those, however I kind of expected people to want emagged AED's to make them superpowered, but I guess it's more interesting turning everybody into blind, flailing monsters.

Frank_Stein Wrote:I think some general implants could also impart some upgrades.

Some rando ideas:
-an internal radio

Critcal health revival and recovery system. Injects certain revive chems, stimulates heart when owner enters crit. Loudly beeps to alert others.

-Radioscoper. Gives more details on examination of certain things. For instance, it will tell you the contents of people's pockets, if they have implants.

-Hacking upgrade that lets you slowly patch into door controls and computers

-Explosive protection field. Detonates fired and thrown explosives before they come close enough to do major damage.

All of them could run off the AED power system.

I thought of the internal radio, but I didn't really know what it would be. An antenna? Maybe. Would the antenna have an active functionality? I don't know.
I also like the idea of an internal chem reservoir that functions like an injector belt but in your body. However, I'd like to avoid things that produce chems in your body from nothing, because that's more of a genetics thing.
Radioscoper is also interesting, I assume it'd be an eye upgrade. Perhaps for unpowered functionality it gives you short range x-ray vision, powered functionality gives you x-ray vision and lets you see into people's pockets, and electro interference causes blindness and radiation because of the x-ray generator?
An implant that functions similarly to the thing that borgs can do with doors that aren't linked to the AI would be neat, but it would need to have downsides. It would of course NOT work off the AI grid, so in order to network with any door you'd have to hack it, even if you have access to it. Maybe this would come from having a cyborg head? However that'd work. Unpowered would allow you to see which doors are shocked, powered would allow you to actively hack a door, electro interference would cause brain damage.
I'm not really sure how I feel the explosion protection field. I kind of don't like it. However, that's just me.

Amuys Wrote:Target circuit pulse: Basically a mulitool you can use without a screwdriver and from a distance

That sounds great, but I think it should require the maint panel to be exposed. Doing it from a distance makes sense so you can avoid shocking yourself and overloading your Augments, but considering you're sending a weak electrical impulse through the air to a wire you should at least have to have the wire exposed via opening the maint panel.
Have it be an upgrade to the cyborg arm that you plug into your AED.
Might I sugest agin, a skul-gun for my head. Yesterday in Battery Park, some scum we all know pushes smack for NSF gets jumpy and draws. I take 2 .22's, 1 in flesh, 1 in augs, befor I can get out that dam asalt gun.

If I could kil just by thought, it would be beter. Is it my job to be a human target-practis backstop?
Amuys Wrote:Might I sugest agin, a skul-gun for my head. Yesterday in Battery Park, some scum we all know pushes smack for NSF gets jumpy and draws. I take 2 .22's, 1 in flesh, 1 in augs, befor I can get out that dam asalt gun.

If I could kil just by thought, it would be beter. Is it my job to be a human target-practis backstop?

Vending machines give you lemon-lime when you wanted orange.
Considering the limits that have been recently placed on genetics powers, it's probably alright and necessary for there to be some overlap between genetics and cybernetic augments.
Frank_Stein Wrote:Considering the limits that have been recently placed on genetics powers, it's probably alright and necessary for there to be some overlap between genetics and cybernetic augments.

If anything I'd encourage overlap.

Giving genetics all the cool fun stuff ™ is boring if roboticists can't goof off too.

At least with this, competent players will play both roles, because there's more rewards.

Also I want people to get drunk so they can try to attach augments to themselves.
Daeren Wrote:I am actively planning on augments/surgery overhaul being the first major project I tackle once I'm comfortable enough with the code, as a heads up.
Can you give us an idea of what some of those plans are? Or if anything listed is any use whatsoever to you?

It would probably help the flow of ideas quite a bit.
Aight, so this is my to-do list in the code, partially stolen from an old to-do list from BurntCornMuffin, chats with Haine, and my own ideas, but here goes the basic skeleton of what I want to do.

Quote:Make bullets lodge in/damage the areas people are actually shooting at, to give infrastructure for implants to be in specific parts of the body

Make sweet implants/augs system for robotics that runs on glucose/magical robo energy DXHR style, possibly with aug limbs or whatever as well (and aug butts)

Implant rework: basically what i'd want is "pick a body part/organ/etc, okay that bodypart now contains this object” and then it does Things

Big power drawing implants should cost stamina regen while they operate; the proposal from BCM that gave me this idea involved glucose/its own power source but it could be worked with stamina or just blood level

Possibly tweaking organs some for the robotics systems, adding lungs/liver/etc even if they dont do everything they'd be proposed to do (haine has been working on cleaning organ code)

Nanomachines + heart = STANDING HERE I REALIZE YOU ARE JUST LIKE ME TRYING TO MAKE HISTORY

Can reverse surgery steps so you can carve open the top of someone's skull and put an implant in by doing scalpel-saw, then seal it back up, or pop open access to someone's heart, or put in a tiny vuvuzela in their butt, etc. surgery as-is is pretty damn anemic compared to other servers even though they have additions that get pretty fuckin weird

Related problem: surgery is a clusterfuck because of intents/tools/etc/too few choices. Thought: either new tools to help with contextual surgery, or you select the surgery you want to do with a prompt window/medical table setup, look at Baycode for implementation ideas/surgeries

Implement decapitation because I want to slam dunk my own head

Tobba there need to be more ways to perform medical malpractice
Tobba like
Tobba ways to fuck up that won't necessarily hurt anyone
Tobba but it'll look hilariously stupid
Tobba carve in your name on their chest
Daeren like having legs for arms
Daeren butt on backwards
Daeren head on upside down
Tobba yes

So, yes, most of the aug limb ideas would involve neat things you can do that consume a power source of some variety, as well as implants and augmented organs that work similarly. Right now I'm trying to wrap my brain around the limb code and implant code so I can get them the way I want them, before redoing surgery to make it flexible enough to allow for this sort of thing.
Daeren Wrote:Implement decapitation because I want to slam dunk my own head
Yes please