Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Engineering computer, or APC change
Given the fact that engineers now have no more access to spacesuits or building materials than the common assistant; I think it's safe to say that after they've set up the Singularity and solars, they have absolutely nothing to do after the first 10 minutes of the round. I think that instead of the current Power Monitoring Computer that they currently have, they should have a computer that allows them to remotely control the APCs of the different rooms on the station. i.e. you select which room's APC you want to access it and then you can prioritize whether or not it gets equipment power, or lighting, or environment from the computer rather than having to walk all the way down to a room to access it manually. Maybe doing this coupled with reducing the amount of power the singularity generates, would make the engineers much more important to the rest of the station.

I suggest that, which is something to help engineers, or simply give every job access to the APC in their job's room. That would be very helpful for jobs like security, robotics, and genetics since they often loose power and can't clone people or fabricate things, but they still waste power on those worthless lights. Because presently it is almost impossible to call an engineer down to you to change the power and it is sometimes hard to get the AI to fix it for you because when you start losing power the AI usually has it's hands full elsewhere.
I like this idea. It's next to impossible to do any repairs without a spacesuit, and if there's a decent amount of both Miners and Engineers, then there are none to spare without breaking into EVA. Giving Engineers somethin' to do when not whining at the station for wasting supplies is important.

However, I do believe cogmap has a new engine which requires or encourages constant effort on the part of the engineers??? So this may not be a necessary addition.
This is already being implemented actually, an upcoming switchgear machine lets you interact with APCs from Engineering.
Cogwerks Wrote:This is already being implemented actually, an upcoming switchgear machine lets you interact with APCs from Engineering.

quick nosy question: will every department finally have access to their own APC on cogstation?

please say yes
no

Most of the APCs will actually be in maintenance behind the associated office, with a few exceptions. Same cardlock as before.

Goddamn dudes, if you want the lights to stop wasting power, USE THE LIGHT SWITCH ON THE WALL
Cogwerks Wrote:no

Most of the APCs will actually be in maintenance behind the associated office, with a few exceptions. Same cardlock as before.

Goddamn dudes, if you want the lights to stop wasting power, USE THE LIGHT SWITCH ON THE WALL

keep forgetting it exists because i'm just not used to robotics having it :oops:
I ctually think this is a stupid idea only because this is just an easier way for the ai to shutdown an APC if it is rogue. There should be a wire, like the ai, that connects the APC to the computer and can be cut so it is off the power system monitor access. That way the AI doesn't gain much more access. i also think that elcetricain device scanners should be able to scan regular terminals and APCs just becuase it is usefull if one is broken. They could be able to replace it instead of having no power to that room, making it useless to fix.
APCs can already be fixed, though, so why not just do that?
Iq2Gamer Wrote:I ctually think this is a stupid idea only because this is just an easier way for the ai to shutdown an APC if it is rogue.
You ever played a rogue AI? It's utterly trivial to blow all the lights on the station as it is.
Addendum: the switchgear is a work in progress that sorta works right now will require some substantial rewrites to electricity code to work really well, but it'll probably happen eventually.