Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chaplain Traitor Item: Death Shroud
VictorMAngoStein Wrote:Traitor chaplain should get a special clown mask and a hatchet man medallion that lets him use cola as stimpacks so he can bring the dark carnival to the station (WOOP WOOP!)

dark carnival? wat?
VictorMAngoStein Wrote:Traitor chaplain should get a special clown mask and a hatchet man medallion that lets him use cola as stimpacks so he can bring the dark carnival to the station (WOOP WOOP!)
No, we're not bringing ICP to SS13.
Stop it.

thanks for your meaningful and insightful input on the idea of a death shroud for the chaplain!
Minor question: Will the Chaplain be able to see this wraith?

Big Question: Are there any objections to this item?
While round types and items that allow players to influence whether they become antagonists or not do present problems, as has been mentioned, such as alien mode, artbox, revolution mode; and this was my first thought on this matter, this item seems more in-line with present items such as the roboticist syndie-cyborgs, vampire thralls, and mindslave implants.
Overall I think this is a workable item, with one adjustment:
I personally don't think the shroud should be reusable. 6 TC isn't a huge investment and leaves more than enough for the chaplain to get a projectile weapon and wreak some traitory havok, and there's tons of items on the station for traitors to go about their nefarious tasks. If the shroud is reusable that puts it head and shoulders above the other, albeit slightly cheaper, ally-making options. And that really discourages careful use of shroud and preservation of the body. Why should you care if one corpse rots when you can just go grab/make another? There's never any shortage of corpses by 20 minutes in.
That said, the shroud should use similar code as the cloner to determine if a corpse is viable. If the player is rotted, nothing happens of course. If the player has logged out the shroud should project some suitably spooky message to that effect ie "The dark shroud glimmers hungrily for a moment then fades to a forlorn black. Perhaps the spirit has fled?"
A few other thoughts:
- When functional, the shroud should emit a soft green light, making it easier to identify (similar to the powersink) and encouraging better hiding. Otherwise I'd just chuck the corpse on the solar wing, or in the owlery behind a tree and forget about it.
- When the wraith is banished the shroud and corpse should crumble to ashes
- If the shroud is removed from the corpse, the shroud crumbles to ashes in the holder's hand and the corpse rots to a skeleton.
I personally think it should be re-useable. Up the cost from 6 to 8+ if its too cheap.
Lets try and flesh this item out a bit, here are my suggestions:

The death shroud must be draped over a recently deceased, non brain dead, non rotted person. Once put on, it will turn that persons ghost into a 'shade' a lesser form of the wraith, but still a powerful ally. Much like a wraith they are invisible and can fly, and while they share some wraith powers they also have powers of their own. The biggest divergence from the wraith is that they can only get points from haunt, or from witnessing death and destruction, with damage the chaplain deals out giving a big boost to points.

My suggestion for powers:

Haunt (same as the wraith power)
Whisper (same as the wraith power)
Spy: similar to clairvoyance, this allows a shade to spy on and know the location of a specific crewmember, which can be helpful to the chaplain
Draining touch: the deathly nature of the shade allows it to drain the life force and energy of a target next to it. The drained stamina and health is transferred to the chaplain.
Shadow Armour: wreathes the chaplain in a shadowy aura that deflects some attacks and lessens damage.
Shadow Aura: wreathes the chaplain in a shadowy aura that makes his punches very strong and stamina draining

I think it could do with some more/different powers but i can't think of any more at the moment. I see the shade as more of a spy/shadowy assassin than a malevolent jerk like the wraith.
Any permutation of the Chaplain's ghostly friend ought to be able to use possession spells.

Nothing like the Chaplain calling down the wrath of some heaven only to have every damn glass in the bar tip and spill on that nay-saying Mechanic!
Alright then, since no one can think of anything else to say on this: How hard would this be for the coders to make?