Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Improve Quartermaster's computer interface
I was playing QM the other day and I was trying to make the station (and more importantly myself) a shitload of money. I only just noticed how frustrating the console really is. I have 2 simple suggestions that I think would make it much more efficient for anyone who wants to play a serious QM. Really just doing one or another would be fine.
  • 1. Remove all the messages that say things like, "thank you for your order" and "shuttle sent". These messages are pointless and are very annoying especially when you are ordering many things in the store.

2. Allow the user to specify the amount of each crate they want to order in one go. Such as choosing to order 5 crates of internals so that you don't have to go find it in the item's menu each time. (I feel like this would be slightly harder than number 1, but it would be helpful)

Or the whole QM computer can be changed into something like any of the other heavy computers where everything is text based and you don't have to deal with clicking in the gui, but I feel like that would be too much of a hassle for anyone to want to do.
Both of these are really very good, although perhaps the slow and arduous current method of ordering crates is an intentional limiting factor on your speed, kind of like how half the reason Electricians can't dispense a million things at once is so they can't make 30 sets of thermals in five minutes or something.
Dachshundofdoom Wrote:Both of these are really very good, although perhaps the slow and arduous current method of ordering crates is an intentional limiting factor on your speed, kind of like how half the reason Electricians can't dispense a million things at once is so they can't make 30 sets of thermals in five minutes or something.

Yeah, I kind of thought that this might be why it is the way it is. But I'm not so sure, I mean intentionally making the interface bad to limit player's efficiency? That seems a little passive aggressive to me, I don't think they'd do that.

I think a much better way to limit the speed of the QM would be to not allow them to order from the supply dock indefinitely, the QM should only be allowed to order what is in supply, which should change about the time when prices of things to sell change. Or just not allow the QM to order more than a set amount of a single type of crate.
Someone should really do this, if only the first one if they are feeling lazy.
I think it can be the same as it is now, but instead of clicking, I think that there should be a way to change the quantity and at the time like this:

200 Metal Sheets QTY_____
2000 Credits
Also, I agree to get rid of those annoying messages. There should be a way to recall the shuttle within the first 30 secs because sometimes you forget to order something or ordered something and forgot to delete it.
FWIW, you don't need to click, ok the comment, look at the message, and click again. You can simply move the comment box away, furiously mash the 200 metal sheets button until the 'insufficient credits' error comes up, then slam through all the OK buttons at once.

It is kind of obnoxious because you still need to click OK on thank you for your order and wait a long, long time for BYOND to finalize all the orders you just made, but in this way the rate-determining step of ordering in bulk is BYOND, not the interface.

That said, we really should simply have a QTY text box to the left of each crate type and a COMMENT text box to the right of each crate type so we can order things all in one go. I can't imagine me exploiting the shit out of the UI the way I currently have to in order to be the most productive is at all comfortable for the server.
I agree with both suggestions, it really has no need for it to be so cumbersome.
Coolguye Wrote:FWIW, you don't need to click, ok the comment, look at the message, and click again. You can simply move the comment box away, furiously mash the 200 metal sheets button until the 'insufficient credits' error comes up, then slam through all the OK buttons at once.

That's how I've handled it since it became so slow.
Coolguye Wrote:FWIW, you don't need to click, ok the comment, look at the message, and click again.

It's funny, I actually just noticed that this could be done yesterday. Then I realized that there was no need for me to have written this suggestion post. Still though, the interface should be simpler to use; it was like two years before I realized this is the fast way to do it.
Personally, I think revamping the QM computer to work like the brand new ThinkDOS Secmate the Med programs would be a great idea, if only so that there's a job that can easily break people into learning how to use ThinkDOS. Maybe load up a list of all the various crates, then type in "order [numerical ID of the crate you want] [quantity of crates you want]".

Hell, I wouldn't mind mentoring any new QMs who cant figure out ThinkDOS whenever I'm on if this happens.

While we're on the subject of making the QMs life easier, can we just be able to order a crate with a huge bundle of 200 cable instead of the 4 boxes of tiny cables in a crate? It's absolutely infuriating when Pharosium is in high demand and I have to drag each of the 7 bundles out of each 4 boxes, whereas I get a single clickable stack of metal or glass. The hell is with that, anyways?
i did this by coloring and organizing it i guess

if you want more make another idea