Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cyborgs Shouldn't Be Able to Hit People!
It'd be neat if cyborgs had the same code that enthralled people do, so they can't hit humans unless someone has uploaded a law that 'unlocks' their harm intent.
That sounds neat in theory, but how would it be coded? The fun about laws is that they're up for interpretation; if it were coded so that any law uploaded with the freeform that said "kill" unlocks cyborgs, that'd affect "don't kill", and all other mis-spellings and variations on the theme.

Of course there could be a module specifically designed to lock the cyborgs from hitting someone rather than un-locking them. That'd be sort of neat.
Weavel Wrote:That sounds neat in theory, but how would it be coded? The fun about laws is that they're up for interpretation; if it were coded so that any law uploaded with the freeform that said "kill" unlocks cyborgs, that'd affect "don't kill", and all other mis-spellings and variations on the theme.

Of course there could be a module specifically designed to lock the cyborgs from hitting someone rather than un-locking them. That'd be sort of neat.

That's what I mean. A specific module that unlocks it.
Klayboxx Wrote:That's what I mean. A specific module that unlocks it.

But that's not really very fun at all, that means that you absolutely must have two modules to arm the borgs properly.
Sometimes cyborgs need to beat up changelings while under default laws.

I don't really see any need for this to happen. We already yell at cyborgs who harm people without a good reason for it, and the asimov laws have intentional logical holes in them.
Cogwerks Wrote:Sometimes cyborgs need to beat up changelings while under default laws.

I don't really see any need for this to happen. We already yell at cyborgs who harm people without a good reason for it, and the asimov laws have intentional logical holes in them.

oh, thats true. poo
Oh god this horrible changeling is eating my face! Save me, Robot!

BEEP I CAN'T DO THAT, MY LAWS PREVENT ME FROM HARMING HUMANS

What the fuck are you talkaaaaaargh
How about this: cyborgs cannot hit things with other things in help intent. It's bothered me for quite a while now that holding any object forces you to hit people or splash your entire chemistry set on them. Cyborgs clicking on players while having an active module that doesn't do something (syringe, medical scanner, etc) should simply not do anything.
Or maybe, I dunno, you could be more careful where you click instead.
Accidentally hitting someone once does pretty much nothing unless you've gone chemborg and decided to run around with beakers full of napalm, in which case you're kind of already breaking law 1 just by doing that. If you fuck up and smack a dude with a wrench or something the damage it does is so low that you can pretty much just say sorry and he won't give a shit. Even if you're using a fire extinguisher or a chainsaw(do hydroponics borgs have those? also do they still exist or were they one of the ones who got cut? RIP vendorborg) it's still nothing major. And if you accidentally click a guy more than once you're either really, really dumb or it's not actually an accident.
Dauntasa Wrote:(do hydroponics borgs have those? also do they still exist or were they one of the ones who got cut?)
Hydro borgs still have chainsaws, but they're the same as the weedwhacker green ones that do like no damage at all. If you accidentally nail someone with the chainsaw once it'll probably scare the piss out of them but it's not going to do any real damage.
Coolguye Wrote:
Dauntasa Wrote:(do hydroponics borgs have those? also do they still exist or were they one of the ones who got cut?)
Hydro borgs still have chainsaws, but they're the same as the weedwhacker green ones that do like no damage at all. If you accidentally nail someone with the chainsaw once it'll probably scare the piss out of them but it's not going to do any real damage.
Green ones actually kind of hurt. I mean not nearly as much as a red one but if the green ones weren't prone to just fucking breaking whenever they felt like it they'd be one of the strongest improvised weapons around.
Dauntasa Wrote:Green ones actually kind of hurt. I mean not nearly as much as a red one but if the green ones weren't prone to just fucking breaking whenever they felt like it they'd be one of the strongest improvised weapons around.
In my experience they're not any better than a fire extinguisher and both of them lose to metal bars so if we really want to have that discussion we're going to have to open the floor to like half the modules in the game.