Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gang Wars - Official Discussion Thread (Wonk)
CaptainBravo Wrote:there's a bitchin' leather jacket so you can pretend to be greasers. that's all anyone really needs.

we got bombed horribly, rip QM gang

If im going to get murdered by a bunch of people running around naked wearing only horse masks, I want to die wearing a nice suit.
Honestly I really don't like it at all. I've been a leader three times in three completely different situations, and a subordinate once, and it hasn't been enjoyable. It seems to be that gangs either do utterly nothing but stay in one place, or the opposite happens where everyone just murders everyone else on sight. Even when it's organized, it's just systematic killing.

There's also the massive glaring problem of Station Super Hero where someone decides they're going to fight EVERYONE, killing anybody in gang clothing regardless of their actual stance as a gang member or not. This is really especially shit given that people have known for the last while that Gang's being tested; Sec teams and random fuckwits are just charging into places wherever they want and murdering people as best they can because there's bound to be a gang there. It's especially frustrating with regards to the AI, who can just bolt whoever he wants wherever he wants forever because they're in a gang. Along with that, there are places with such amazing advantages (read: Mining) that you just really can't win against them.

Honestly I think it needs an absolute massive set of changes to be viable as something that people would enjoy coming up as a real mode. It's an excuse for Shit McFartpubbie to sprint around spraying Dans at anyone in pink jumpsuits, and for Bobby Captain to laser anyone who talks to him. There's no actual Gang Warfare; no uneasy truces, no turf-wars or whatever, it's just a straight up murderfest with no rules.

I have really no ideas I could give towards fixing it to be honest. I can't see how a mindslave-less murderfest is ever going to survive with the amount of shitty play that goes on with it. I'd love to see it actually working but for now I am really not a fan.
Weavel Wrote:Honestly I really don't like it at all. I've been a leader three times in three completely different situations, and a subordinate once, and it hasn't been enjoyable. It seems to be that gangs either do utterly nothing but stay in one place, or the opposite happens where everyone just murders everyone else on sight. Even when it's organized, it's just systematic killing.

There's also the massive glaring problem of Station Super Hero where someone decides they're going to fight EVERYONE, killing anybody in gang clothing regardless of their actual stance as a gang member or not. This is really especially shit given that people have known for the last while that Gang's being tested; Sec teams and random fuckwits are just charging into places wherever they want and murdering people as best they can because there's bound to be a gang there. It's especially frustrating with regards to the AI, who can just bolt whoever he wants wherever he wants forever because they're in a gang. Along with that, there are places with such amazing advantages (read: Mining) that you just really can't win against them.

Honestly I think it needs an absolute massive set of changes to be viable as something that people would enjoy coming up as a real mode. It's an excuse for Shit McFartpubbie to sprint around spraying Dans at anyone in pink jumpsuits, and for Bobby Captain to laser anyone who talks to him. There's no actual Gang Warfare; no uneasy truces, no turf-wars or whatever, it's just a straight up murderfest with no rules.

I have really no ideas I could give towards fixing it to be honest. I can't see how a mindslave-less murderfest is ever going to survive with the amount of shitty play that goes on with it. I'd love to see it actually working but for now I am really not a fan.
But..... that's what makes it fun! But really, he has pointed out some flaws there.
This mode was fun i loved it

Space Warlocks!!!
CaptainBravo Wrote:we got bombed horribly, rip QM gang
WEIRDGUERILLAS4LYFE WOOP WOOP
It's kinda impossible to moderate currently, so personally I just kinda view it as a goof mode to be used once in awhile for some laughs, like hitting the all-traitor button. I'm surprised it even got turned into a real mode, thanks again to Infinite Monkeys for rapidly implementing it!

re: neutral crew being vigilantes... I'm honestly not that bothered by it unless they're just straight up rampaging with no other thought behind it. Gangsters are criminals after all, join a gang at your own peril. Or stay neutral at your own peril. Or go vigilante and probably end up with everyone wanting to kill you? I think that stuff will kinda sort itself out once people get more used to the idea of a really free-form mode like this. It's not gonna be a super frequent round-type anyways, at least not after the testing period is over.
having way too much fun with this now. it's like rev on bath salts. kind of agree that it should be a silly gimmick or something to bust out occasionally because sitting out the first gang round in hours after you get one-shotted by a fire extinguisher is sadness.

still, love rolling up on whole gangs and taking them out. love snatching single members from the middle of an entire gang and dragging them back to base. a+ round type.
This is cool and all, but lockers shouldn't be movable (I think infinite said they wouldn't be in the next version).

On a higher note, it was really very fun and I think it's best suited to a thing the admins can just do every so often for fun, like everyone else is saying. I think another issue is that a gang leader's starting location can really impact his gang's success. A gang started by a scientist has the scales tilted WAY in its favor over say, a gang started by the barman. Maybe if you are selected to be a gang leader, you should be guaranteed to be a Staff Assistant, forcing you to either waste time trying to break into/get access to someplace nice early on, or to start your gang in the chapel or something and try to attract people with access to nicer places to join you.
With other game modes, security and command protect the station from baddies and everyone else does something productive (mining, botany, cooking, medical/research stuff). With gang wars, everyone fights everyone else and the roles become more or less pointless. It becomes especially important to have smart security in gang wars mode, as Infinite Monkeys can confirm. It's a fun game mode in theory, but in practice it's not something that can be done without several admins.
In that last round I was the captain and right away thought it was going to be no fun but actually it surprisingly was. I simply told sec that gang members are only to be taken in if they're seen committing a crime, and they did so. It was sort of a mutual agreement where gangs didn't attack us and we didn't attack them, without reason at least. It was much less chaotic and more in the flavour of what I think Gang Warz 2013 needs to be.

On a side note I saw most people who didn't join a gang doing their jobs. Robotics, medical, genetics and research seemed to be functioning as normal. Even if some of them were using it with gang ties.
420 blaze it extinguisher no-scope kush weed goku ladderstall flash strip

[Image: P6MGT.png]

sad cats rule
I added about sixty new words to the gang name generator.
On the first live round after that update, the resulting gangs are:

The OLD BROTHERHOOD vs. The STREET MEN vs. The DISCOUNT MONKEYS vs.
The HORSE DRACULAS vs. The CAT DADS vs. The SPICY ATTITUDES.

I am currently laughing myself to tears watching the SPICY ATTITUDES trying to recruit people
If the leader dies, the others in the gang need to be alerted in some way that a new leader is needed. When joining a game, it should implant you with some chip that signs you to that gang until you are hit with a freedom implant or something like that. When the leader dies, it sends a signal back to the locker which tells others with the chip that it needs a new leader. Anyone can claim it as long as they have the chip.

Initial leaders should have the syndicate uplink to get things to cause extra chaos (limited almost harmless things).

Medical should not be a safe zone. There should be one place out of the entire station that is neutral and unable to be claimed (marked by red crosses or crescents) and medical should go there with as much supplies to help those in need. Also to make things interesting, the nuke engine should be included in that list of safe zones.
Also because I can not edit, the bridge should be the main area all gangs should flock to. There was talk of making the shuttle auto-called at 50 minutes which can be recalled from the bridge. To ensure the bridge is protected by whatever gang, it should call every 10-20 minutes to make sure one gang still has control so when the round ends, they will most likely have taken control of the station.
I haven't been a gang leader since the gametype became proper and not just extended. I assume the names are just a combination of two lists? If so does that mean we will never see the likes of the glorious council, arch rivals to the Tunnel Snakes, ever again? I kind of liked them. They were a true rival indeed. We even came close to making peace once...almost.
Tunnel Snakes 4 Lyfe!