Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Secret recipes
Inspired by a discussion on Enriched MSG in another thread. Someone made a very good point regarding secret chemicals: A lot of them seem to be centered towards chemistry or a barman with way too much time on his hands. There are only two recipes geared towards beverages and only one geared towards integration with food, as compared to the fifteen other secret recipes! Restaurants pride themselves on secret recipes all the time; why should the galaxy-renowned cafeteria of Space Station 13 be any different?

This thread will be updated with possible ideas as I'm able to come up with them, but in general, really want the barmen and chefs of the station to get more exotic ingredients and recipes to mess around with, instead of all of the cool stuff mainly being produced in the chemistry lab.
that sounds pretty good, and with the amount of items available in game the possibilities are endless. you arent limited to the chemistry system when you can shove literally any item into an oven.
As a frequent chef, I'm down for this, kitchen needs a revamp anyway, and certainly being able to shove things into an oven would be nice.
Why not give kitchen it's own mini chemistry system.

A good way to do it would be spices.

herbs & Spices would be things grown by botany, extracted into spices (probably just reagents in a special container), and when added to food make it better or worse.

Maybe specific recipes would need spices to be made, like a specific style of cheeseburger. You would also need exact measurements otherwise you ruin the food.

Salt would actually have a use, since you could marginally improve the "taste" of bad food by adding salt to raise quality a tiny bit.
Also it would be cool if you could find recipe books in assorted places that chef can look at for ideas.
atomic1fire Wrote:Why not give kitchen it's own mini chemistry system.

A good way to do it would be spices.

herbs & Spices would be things grown by botany, extracted into spices (probably just reagents in a special container), and when added to food make it better or worse.

Maybe specific recipes would need spices to be made, like a specific style of cheeseburger. You would also need exact measurements otherwise you ruin the food.

Salt would actually have a use, since you could marginally improve the "taste" of bad food by adding salt to raise quality a tiny bit.

Yes. This would be excellent. There was talk of having food play a larger impact on the station, with a possible favorite foods thing where each player would have a certain dish they preferred with eating it giving some bonuses. Spices, sauces, and other condiments would help a lot with this, as you could have crewman share a food item as their preferred meal, but maybe have one person prefer more salt than another, or someone else like more spice. Plus, I'm sure there will be some exotic spices with unique effects to the foods they are added to.
I never really played chef before. Is there all sorts of spices available to the chef? If not, start there.

Some Examples:

(I know Salt and pepper exist already)
Black peppercorns
Cayenne pepper
Coriander
Turmeric
Cumin
Paprika
Parsley
Oregano
Basil
Bay Leaf
Garlic Powder (Could be made possibly by drying out Garlic Cloves and grinding it down into a fine powder using a machine.)
Onion Powder (Save as above)
Mustard Seed
Wasabi
Saffron (Throw it in rice, make it yellow rice)
Sage
Star Anise
Cinnamon
Peppermint

A simple mix recipe could be something like: garlic powder, paprika, pepper, coriander, dried chill, and cayenne pepper. This would make Chili powder.
Maybe the chef should have a chem dispenser that dispenses herbs and spices?
THREAD NECROMANCY!

Anyway. No one really thought anything about this? I guess cooking on SS13 is a lost art.