Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blood System Feedback
The blood system will be on by default after the next build goes live. This is the place to tell me your thoughts on it.
It's still a work in progress, and there's likely things that still need tweaking, but it's stable and fleshed out enough now that I think it can be on from here on out.

What I'd like to hear your thoughts on:
- Weapons, items, things like that, and how much they damage you.
- Medbay and the new medical items, how hard it is to stay alive or keep people alive now that blood had been thrown into the mix.
- How it affects your antag rounds.
- What features you'd like to see added to or removed from the system.

Features that are planned but are not currently in:
- Staunching bleeding by putting pressure on wounds by clicking on someone with help intent.
- Removing blood from your actual blood pool with syringes/vampire bites, rather than magically creating blood out of nowhere like they do now.
- Blood types playing a part in transfusions.
- Blood donation and refilling blood bags being far less clunky and bad.
- Probably a couple other things I've forgotten but will add to this list as they come to mind.

Some tips in getting started working with the system:
- You start with 500 units of blood. You might heal a bit of your total blood volume every life cycle if you're below 500.
- Your bleeding goes up to a max of 10u loss per life cycle. Each life cycle, you have a small chance for your wounds to clot a bit, dropping your bleeding 1u lower. Low levels of bleeding and high levels of bleeding have a lower chance to clot.
- Examining someone will give you extra text related if they're bleeding or have lost a lot of blood.
- Health analyzers will tell you if someone's getting low on blood.
- Bandages will heal a bit of bleeding on application. Sutures will heal all of it.
- You can refill blood bags by injecting clean blood into them.

I'm very very tired and kinda sick today which means it's the perfect time to turn this on and then pass out weeee
This is from someone else, so take it with various amounts of salt, but apparently, some fellow went "from green to crit in a matter of minutes" due to getting stapled once. An easily fixable injury under normal circumstances, yes, but given the ubiquitousness of staple guns, this heavily increases their lethality, perhaps to unwanted degrees.
Stabbing someone with a broken bottle causes YOU to bleed. Tested with a monkey.

[Image: pN0LKCB.png]

Also what this doesn't show is that the monkey took no damage at all.

Thought about putting it in bugs but thought this to be more of a bleed system sort of thing.
BaneOfGiygas Wrote:This is from someone else, so take it with various amounts of salt, but apparently, some fellow went "from green to crit in a matter of minutes" due to getting stapled once. An easily fixable injury under normal circumstances, yes, but given the ubiquitousness of staple guns, this heavily increases their lethality, perhaps to unwanted degrees.
I kinda doubt that, but I'll do some testing to see. Considering VVVV I could very well have fucked something up somewhere.

DyssalC Wrote:Stabbing someone with a broken bottle causes YOU to bleed. Tested with a monkey.

-snip-

Also what this doesn't show is that the monkey took no damage at all.

Thought about putting it in bugs but thought this to be more of a bleed system sort of thing.
Yeah I accidentally set broken bottles' bleeding/damage target to, uh, the user. That'll be fixed asap.
oop yes turns out I'm an idiot and it was re-applying bleeding damage every time the mob went "oh hey there's a projectile in me" which made bleeding increase to stupid levels really fast, the fix for that'll be in real soon
So, to discuss, what role do you intend for blood types in all this?

I'm not a medicine man but I'm pretty sure getting a transfusion of the wrong blood type can cause some pretty serious shit, like kidney failure and circulatory shock, and it would be pretty bullshit if a syringe of A blood and B blood became the most volatile poison around.
The current blood bags contain 0- blood, which means the blood is compatible with any A, B, O, or AB blood group, but 0- can only receive blood from other 0-. Ab can receive blood from everyone.

This isn't counting the wacky blood types, like duffy, bombay, and resus though.
DyssalC Wrote:So, to discuss, what role do you intend for blood types in all this?

I'm not a medicine man but I'm pretty sure getting a transfusion of the wrong blood type can cause some pretty serious shit, like kidney failure and circulatory shock, and it would be pretty bullshit if a syringe of A blood and B blood became the most volatile poison around.
Yeah, no, ain't gunna do anything like that. I'd like it to have SOME impact, definitely a bit of flavor text, but nothing so debilitating that it became the Preferred Murder Option.

I've been toying with the idea of a blood processing machine, where you feed it a beaker/whatever of blood and maybe one of plasma and it spits out Generic Universally Transfusable Blood, but that's pretty silly, even for magical space plasma. I wanna err on the side of gameplay rather than realism, though, so if it comes down to magical space chemical blood, then so be it.

In other news, I've messed with the numbers a bit, so now any level of bleeding has a chance to clot, 1u-10u, but you have a much lower chance of it happening at low and high levels of bleeding.
Staplers are still pretty deadly. Someone shot me 3 times and i bleed out in 1-2 minutes
BaneOfGiygas Wrote:This is from someone else, so take it with various amounts of salt, but apparently, some fellow went "from green to crit in a matter of minutes" due to getting stapled once. An easily fixable injury under normal circumstances, yes, but given the ubiquitousness of staple guns, this heavily increases their lethality, perhaps to unwanted degrees.
I got shot with a Tranquilizer Rifle and almost bled to death. I probably would have bled to death but I was a Changeling and ended up going Shambler after a while.
Haine Wrote:
DyssalC Wrote:So, to discuss, what role do you intend for blood types in all this?

Yeah, no, ain't gunna do anything like that. I'd like it to have SOME impact, definitely a bit of flavor text, but nothing so debilitating that it became the Preferred Murder Option.

I've been toying with the idea of a blood processing machine, where you feed it a beaker/whatever of blood and maybe one of plasma and it spits out Generic Universally Transfusable Blood, but that's pretty silly, even for magical space plasma. I wanna err on the side of gameplay rather than realism, though, so if it comes down to magical space chemical blood, then so be it.

In other news, I've messed with the numbers a bit, so now any level of bleeding has a chance to clot, 1u-10u, but you have a much lower chance of it happening at low and high levels of bleeding.

Well, you could just make it so that the wrong kind of blood only has a serious effect when you do a huge transfusion. Like a syringe full of bad blood is totally harmless but if they strap you down and give you a major transfusion of it then that's when the seriously bad shit starts to kick in.

That'd prevent people from running around murdering people with syringes of AB blood without having to just ignore blood type entirely.

changeling blood should do real fucked up shit to people also
I like the new blood system and the fact that many previously underused items are now quite potent weapons because of the sheer bleeding they can cause.
i think its kinda good in theory

but as a cyborg i spent 5 minutes shanking a guy with a scalpel and he wouldn't go down
The borg scalpel and saw are heinously bad now. I couldn't even put a guy in red with them.
They've always been bad, surely? Those aren't good weapons.