Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fix the Doors
I like the new sound.
I like the new doors.

The sound ought to be amplified by 5dB though.
In the future, INCREDIBLY SERIOUS GAME-BREAKING CHANGES like this one will be done in very small increments, with no mention in the changelogs, so you insufferable nerds won't get your panties in a twist. Enjoy wondering whether we've changed your FAVORITE game mechanics in the future.

This thread got shitty. Stop it.
Winklabom Wrote:I like the new doors.

The sound ought to be amplified by 5dB though.
my only complaint is that it was too quiet compared to the other sounds
I could care less about realistic door opening speeds and whatnot, but i like the old sound because it was big, it let you know when someone was entering a room, it wasn't a mcdonalds drive through window or a mouse squeaking in the hallway or whatever. If we can find a sound that can give that same effect than i'm all for this.
volundr Wrote:In the future, INCREDIBLY SERIOUS GAME-BREAKING CHANGES like this one will be done in very small increments, with no mention in the changelogs, so you insufferable nerds won't get your panties in a twist. Enjoy wondering whether we've changed your FAVORITE game mechanics in the future.

This thread has quite a bit of constructive feedback. People don't like the change, so they're voicing their opinions...like this subforum was made for? Just because it isn't game breaking doesn't mean it isn't worth discussing.

And don't tell me the players don't tolerate change, new features are added and existing features are tweaked almost daily and you certainly don't see a 3 page thread for every single commit.

That aside, please bring back the classic door sound. It's like the game's signature, the sound most people will hear the minute they join the game if it isn't a fire alarm, the clunk of a fire extinguisher on someone's skull, or the clown's horn. It's one of those things that make the game instantly recognizable, even by sound.
Tobba Wrote:The iconic hiss was changed because it was half a second too long and sounded incredibly stupid with the fast doors
Doors were changed because they made the game feel extremely laggy due to the desynchronization of when it looked like you could pass through and when you actually could

I could bring the opening time back to 1 second but theres no way in hell I'm bringing back the old timing for the density changes

That and the sound is mostly there because nobody could figure out where the hell cogs is and yell at him to make a non-terrible sound

I'm not familiar with dream maker, but I'm assuming you're saying that you could maintain the old animation and sound but have the player able to go through without the animation finishing?

If so that sounds like the perfect solution to me, the doors look like you could easily fit half way through the animation anyways.
volundr Wrote:In the future, INCREDIBLY SERIOUS GAME-BREAKING CHANGES like this one will be done in very small increments, with no mention in the changelogs, so you insufferable nerds won't get your panties in a twist. Enjoy wondering whether we've changed your FAVORITE game mechanics in the future.

This thread got shitty. Stop it.

Most people were giving constitutive criticism and good feedback and this is how you reply to the thread?

Anyways I don't mind the speed of the doors now. After playing around with it and I now think it makes the chases better no longer can doors stop you dead in your tracks and get you caught/killed. I do agree with the sound of the doors being lame but that is a Verysmall issue.
The sound was changed because it made doors sound like heavy pneumatic bulkheads instead of flimsy pneumatic interior doors
imo external airlocks should have the old sound so they sound bulky and serious. If it's still needed, I'll try to find or make a new sound for the internal doors.
Cogwerks Wrote:imo external airlocks should have the old sound so they sound bulky and serious. If it's still needed, I'll try to find or make a new sound for the internal doors.

I heard it like this the last few rounds I played and it sounded on par. I actually like the Jetsons-esque hiss of the new glass airlocks.
Okay, I don't want all the doors sounding like squeaky farts
I don't see why people don't like the star-trekesq door sound. I found one will worship our star-trek door sound overlords in hopes that we can get big flatscreen control panels with colored boxes to click on, and inflatable walls
Tobba Wrote:The iconic hiss was changed because it was half a second too long and sounded incredibly stupid with the fast doors
Doors were changed because they made the game feel extremely laggy due to the desynchronization of when it looked like you could pass through and when you actually could

I could bring the opening time back to 1 second but theres no way in hell I'm bringing back the old timing for the density changes

That and the sound is mostly there because nobody could figure out where the hell cogs is and yell at him to make a non-terrible sound

Don't change a thing, I love the startrek sounding door swish and the fast doors! You should add the sound to the fire doors on the air bridge. cool