Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Space Zoo!
All credit for this one goes to Old Man Jenkins.

He says that there's a ton of animals available in game... enough to have a whole space zoo for them! Personally, I second this idea, and I think it'd be kindof cool to try out. I like the idea of having more varied job positions, and Zookeeper sounds like it'd be a fun civilian job to try out. Also: Think of the possibilities! A traitor Zookeeper letting out the space bears into the bar so they can party....

I unno, Jenkins said it a lot better than I did. What do you think?
Nah, man, set up the space zoo as a separate area, on another z-level. Make it so only the entrance/exit can be accessed by telescience. Have the zoo be run by aliens, with a few NPC humans named after some of the games more infamous people. Have the alien keepers post weird rules that, if not followed, might have Bad Things happening to rule breakers. Have the whole thing be something that can be accidentally stumbled upon by exploration and/or random event/admin fun.
This is honestly a good idea, Except for the fact that people would release killer tomatos and space yeti's every round. Like Neogeo said, It would probably have to be on a different Z-level, Maybe have a beacon on it to use the teleporter for.
This has been suggested too many times to count and unless you put serious thought behind it and how it can be balanced it most likely will never be implemented. What you need to do is think "How do I make it so it can't be abused and how do I make it a balanced traitor role without causing collateral damage with minimal effort.

I myself have had a few ideas and I'll post them once I've finished them but if you can cover them before I get there go ahead.
Spoiler: The Station is already a zoo. No points for figuring out who/what the exhibits are.
Livestock Farmer/Zookeeper suggestion:

The animals:

Dangerous:
Space Lion (Rare) (Dangerous)
Space Yeti (Rare) (Dangerous)
Space Bee (Medium) (Dangerous)
Spore (Medium) (Dangerous)

Safe:
Space Walrus (Rare)
Space Seal (Medium)
Space Owl (Common)
Space Pig (Common)
Space Cow (Common)
Space Sheep (Common)

Duds:
Cockroach (Very Common)

I may have made a few up, if this idea gets anywhere I might try to sprite them also.

How to procure the animals:
The animals would all come in eggs (They’re space animals get over it) which could be ordered by QM or found by miners. These eggs would then be sent to the Farm where they could be placed in the incubator to heat up before being teleported into the corresponding cage.

The cages and you:
There would be two kinds of cages, the safe cage, and the dangerous cage. The safe cage can be opened by the zookeeper, or anyone with access whereas the dangerous cage can only be opened when the zookeeper is a traitor with his job specific item “The file (Tool)” which costs 10 telecrystals, can destroy the cages, unweld doors and rub peoples faces off if hit in the head too many times/random occurrence. The cages of course would be indestructible by all other means, including bombs to prevent shitheads from releasing the dangerous critters.

What is the point:
The Zookeeper could use his safe livestock to make beneficial things for the chef and assistants everywhere. Space pigs could be shaved to procure bacon and killed to get the usual ham. Space cows could be milked when the intent is set to help and the zookeeper is holding a bucket in the other; shaved for leather to make cowboy hats and leather boots and killed to make a physical meat called Beff. The owl is a commodity, but could be made edible if added to the butcher able whitelist. Space Sheep could be shorn to gain wool which through the magic of science can be turned into fabric for the autolathes.

I’ve tried to balance this out and make it a reasonable addition to the station. I am well aware of all the previous suggestions of the addition of a zookeeper but I’m hoping this one makes it more reasonable and more likely.

Here are the sprites I made for this:
The gate and the fence:
[Image: RhvN2.png] [Image: oP46Y.png]
What they look like on astroturf:
[Image: DCD2w.png]

The gates opening sprites:
[Image: RhvN2.png]
[Image: Xyesw.png]
[Image: NipyF.png]
[Image: d7vnU.png]
[Image: Lctkg.png]
[Image: EA8WO.png]
[Image: hvkZX.png]

The gif of it opening, it's too fast but you get the idea:
[Image: mAht3.gif]
Also I couldn't work out how to do it with transparency so I put it on astroturf too.

The incubator:
[Image: d9GMv.png]

The incubator at work:
[Image: D0zLw.gif]
OR
[Image: irA0b.gif]

I'm unsure which I like better.

If they're going to be implemented I can post the frame by frame sprites, but this has probably just been a waste of time.
There was a more botannical-bent space zoo during Halloween Donut Station Week off on another Z-level sxomewhere, I went exploring, saw some vague machines hinting at dinosaurs, then got stung by a space bee, beat up by a tomato, and eaten by a maneater.
Winged_Chiller Wrote:Livestock Farmer/Zookeeper suggestion:

The animals:

Dangerous:
Space Lion (Rare) (Dangerous)
Space Yeti (Rare) (Dangerous)
Space Bee (Medium) (Dangerous)
Spore (Medium) (Dangerous)

Safe:
Space Walrus (Rare)
Space Seal (Medium)
Space Owl (Common)
Space Pig (Common)
Space Cow (Common)
Space Sheep (Common)

Duds:
Cockroach (Very Common)

I may have made a few up, if this idea gets anywhere I might try to sprite them also.

How to procure the animals:
The animals would all come in eggs (They’re space animals get over it) which could be ordered by QM or found by miners. These eggs would then be sent to the Farm where they could be placed in the incubator to heat up before being teleported into the corresponding cage.

The cages and you:
There would be two kinds of cages, the safe cage, and the dangerous cage. The safe cage can be opened by the zookeeper, or anyone with access whereas the dangerous cage can only be opened when the zookeeper is a traitor with his job specific item “The file (Tool)” which costs 10 telecrystals, can destroy the cages, unweld doors and rub peoples faces off if hit in the head too many times/random occurrence. The cages of course would be indestructible by all other means, including bombs to prevent shitheads from releasing the dangerous critters.

What is the point:
The Zookeeper could use his safe livestock to make beneficial things for the chef and assistants everywhere. Space pigs could be shaved to procure bacon and killed to get the usual ham. Space cows could be milked when the intent is set to help and the zookeeper is holding a bucket in the other; shaved for leather to make cowboy hats and leather boots and killed to make a physical meat called Beff. The owl is a commodity, but could be made edible if added to the butcher able whitelist. Space Sheep could be shorn to gain wool which through the magic of science can be turned into fabric for the autolathes.

I’ve tried to balance this out and make it a reasonable addition to the station. I am well aware of all the previous suggestions of the addition of a zookeeper but I’m hoping this one makes it more reasonable and more likely.

Here are the sprites I made for this:
The gate and the fence:
[Image: RhvN2.png] [Image: oP46Y.png]
What they look like on astroturf:
[Image: DCD2w.png]

The gates opening sprites:
[Image: RhvN2.png]
[Image: Xyesw.png]
[Image: NipyF.png]
[Image: d7vnU.png]
[Image: Lctkg.png]
[Image: EA8WO.png]
[Image: hvkZX.png]

The gif of it opening, it's too fast but you get the idea:
[Image: mAht3.gif]
Also I couldn't work out how to do it with transparency so I put it on astroturf too.

The incubator:
[Image: d9GMv.png]

The incubator at work:
[Image: D0zLw.gif]
OR
[Image: irA0b.gif]

I'm unsure which I like better.

If they're going to be implemented I can post the frame by frame sprites, but this has probably just been a waste of time.
I think instead of having an dangerous cage no one can open, we should have all the dangerous animals spawn with shock collars to keep them from escaping.
Wait, so is the Zoo an animal farm, or an actual zoo? To be honest im not a big fan if it is a zoo because either the animals would be locked in miniature fortresses where the crew can only stare at them. Or it would be a more open zoo, where Hippie B. Freakington would run in with a fire extinguisher and bust all of the animals out all of the time. Both dont sound very good.
The bad animals you can only look at while the peaceful ones are used for legitimate reasons. And Mr fire-extinguisher wouldn't have access. The crew would be able to see into the pens but the access to them would be on the other side only available to the keeper.
I think it could possibly be fun to have some sort of critter zoo in space somewhere maybe, but I really don't see this working as a station job.

also... shaving a pig to get bacon? what the christ
I think it would be interesting if in space there's an abandoned ship in space with trophy pens, all the animals and stuff, the deeper you go the more threatening the animals are, ranging from space yetis to npc predators,
aside from the attractions, the ship has other stuff too to plunder.
Of course there's a catch;
If you stay in the ship for too long you get knocked unconscious and you wake up inside a trophy pens with two strange creatures looking back at you, a strange buddy comes to inject you in which you scream and then you become tamed (Death essentially, a npc version of you is spawned)
Sundance Wrote:If you stay in the ship for too long you get knocked unconscious and you wake up inside a trophy pens with two strange creatures looking back at you, a strange buddy comes to inject you in which you scream and then you become tamed (Death essentially, a npc version of you is spawned)
Fucking this
sorry for the bump but uh this would be cool as a side job because we seriously need some new flavor jobs
less assistants more zookeepers
since Cogstation is fucking huge i think this would be cool on that server, and just imagine the potential with traitor zookeepers
6 Telecrystals- Injector to make animals un domesticated (Lions and Walruses just wrecking shit)
Theres so many critters in game that arent seen normally so I think a zookeeper job would be pretty sweet to utilize them (feed them, train them, etc)
Zoo Tycoon Station 13
if you're an assistant and you can't find a gimmick to keep yourself occupied without a vanity job i think that's your problem and not SS13's

seriously, with how many raw materials we have in the warehouse now, you're practically guaranteed to snag enough to feed into the GM across from the quartermaster's office to spit out a full set of tools. after you've got that you can do pretty much anything you want.