Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who here is a real NERD?
MrFable Wrote:and like procrastinating for Organic Chemistry midterms...
I'm a grader for a class on Digital Logic Design. My friend grades Organic Chem 2. Every time we sit together to grade exams, we wager on which class has a higher failure rate for that exam. Whoever gets more failing grades, buys lunch. Thanks for all the free lunches! (although it's always been close as I get between 3-7% less fails)
I've been sharpening my game-dev skills for around four or so years now (kinda how I found BYOND in my searchings, oh the temptations of an easy-mode MMO)...a bit hard to find the time with my current 14 hour work days in mental health frown

Come January I'm busting myself down to two days/nights a week and taking the rest of the time to take an honest crack at turning one of my goofy prototypes into something respectable big grin

Odds are I'll be joining you college types shooting for a CS major around 2016-ish.
btek Wrote:
I'm a grader for a class on Digital Logic Design. My friend grades Organic Chem 2. Every time we sit together to grade exams, we wager on which class has a higher failure rate for that exam. Whoever gets more failing grades, buys lunch. Thanks for all the free lunches! (although it's always been close as I get between 3-7% less fails)

Yeah, Organic Chemistry is seen as a weed out class by many Life and Chemical Science undergrads. The average on our last midterm was around a 60%. The other class (with the tougher professor) had a average of 43%. I mean its hard, I guess, but very interesting, so I'm okay with it. I know Biochemistry majors that absolutely hate Organic Chem. Makes me wonder why they even bother with the major, heh.
J.D., currently in the process of getting bar certified.
B.S. in criminal Justice
Oddball Wrote:I have a masters degree in microbiology and I also work in a research job at a Russell Group uni. I am the biggest nerd.
I'm studying to get my masters in microbiology and a minor in virology so that I can do that kinda stuff. I also run a SpaceFart simulator DnD campaign as well as an IRL one, and I've coded a few games. Basically I'm a nerdier version of Oddball.
MrFable Wrote:
btek Wrote:

Yeah, Organic Chemistry is seen as a weed out class by many Life and Chemical Science undergrads. The average on our last midterm was around a 60%. The other class (with the tougher professor) had a average of 43%. I mean its hard, I guess, but very interesting, so I'm okay with it. I know Biochemistry majors that absolutely hate Organic Chem. Makes me wonder why they even bother with the major, heh.

Yeah, it seems pretty ridiculous how much effort professors go through to get their students to fail. I'm always suggesting to my professor to tone down the difficulty of the exam so people aren't intimidated/flunked out of the major. Those guys hating the class is kind of what I mean by that. At least you're enjoying it! If you're having fun, you'll make it further than most of your peers.

FishDance Wrote:
Oddball Wrote:I have a masters degree in microbiology and I also work in a research job at a Russell Group uni. I am the biggest nerd.
I'm studying to get my masters in microbiology and a minor in virology so that I can do that kinda stuff. I also run a SpaceFart simulator DnD campaign as well as an IRL one, and I've coded a few games. Basically I'm a nerdier version of Oddball.

It'd be pretty great if people posted some of their more fun code projects that they've worked on.
btek Wrote:It'd be pretty great if people posted some of their more fun code projects that they've worked on.
The most "Fun" things that I've ever made were a pretty expansive and in depth Zork- esque text based adventure game, and a Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup kinda game with ASCII graphics. Both were made with Visual Studio in C#, and both were actually quite cool to mea the time, however I no longer have anything I've made because I didn't think I'd ever want it again. I figured since I couldn't post em here I might as well give an example of what they were!
btek Wrote:It'd be pretty great if people posted some of their more fun code projects that they've worked on.

...you asked for it...

Took a few hours out of my day to make this so let it never be said I didn't make a fan-game.

Dropbox wanted to charge me to share stuff so I cooked up a new account and dumped it on NewGrounds...heh.

wasd: move...
mouse: look...
space: floaty jump...

EPILEPTICS GONNA DIE-YOU'VE BEEN WARNED

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/648676

Better hurry before they remove this p.o.s.
Buzzbomb Wrote:EPILEPTICS GONNA DIE-YOU'VE BEEN WARNED

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/648676

Better hurry before they remove this p.o.s.

I was warned.
Oh god the sounds. The horrible horrible sounds.
Also i'm the treasurer of our faculty's IT circle, we manage the whole internet network of the student dorm buildings so i'm pretty much god almighty

We organize lan parties, we create and maintain various services for the students (mailing lists, hosting, TOTALLY LEGAL ftp stuff, a games server, a whole room full of awesome computers manned 24/7 by League of Legends players, beer in the fridge, etc...)
I suppose that the only nerd cred that I have to offer is that I dabble in musical composition on the offchance that my computer isn't being a complete piece of shit. I can throw some dropbox links into here if y'all want to give them a listen, but the rustiness of my abilities will more than likely be clearly audible.
BaneOfGiygas Wrote:I suppose that the only nerd cred that I have to offer is that I dabble in musical composition on the offchance that my computer isn't being a complete piece of shit. I can throw some dropbox links into here if y'all want to give them a listen, but the rustiness of my abilities will more than likely be clearly audible.

Don't forget your pretentious thread titles
A flair for the dramatic tends to come with the territory of being an artsy type of fellow, yes.
Not really a nerd, but I've taken a shit ton of business classes in my life to the point of where I fell comfortable to start my own especially considering everyone in my family has done the same. My brother is going to start his own soon too.