Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Polybius: The "ghost" arcade machine
Anyone here know about the arcade game Polybius? Basically, it's an arcade game released in 1981 that may or may not have existed. Apparently, it caused players to go insane, causing them to suffer from stress, horrific nightmares, and suicidal tenancies. A short time after it's release, it supposedly disappeared.

After learning of it's existence, I realized how fucking awesome it would be if we had something like this on the station. Put it in a dark corner of the station, and to get it running one would need to go about getting random things to repair it with and such. Some games it spawns, sometimes it doesn't. Maybe make the location random? Perhaps it could be implemented to where it has a one tenth chance of spawning, or even lower.

Once someone gets the game up and running, random, horrific shit could happen. Maybe cause mass hysteria, hallucinations, ect. Until eventually they get knocked out and enter a dream state (mob just teleports) to a horrific nightmare-like place.

Now this would be difficult to code, so I understand if this gets a "no." But the idea of having something like this is feasible. I just described how I think would be the best way of doing something like this. That's why suggestions to this would be great, as my ideas are sometimes ambitious, to say the least.

Regardless if the idea is shitty or structurally sound, it's an interesting topic and controversy.

[Image: 220px-Polybius_Cabinet.jpg]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polybius_%28video_game%29
So essentially make a randomly spawned arcade machine that you need to get parts for, for a chance that it might not even work and if it does you get hallucinations and then stripped and sent to a dark better adminmaze with more mobs ensuring you die? I like it.
I like the idea, perhaps this could be one of those admin items intended to screw with players, like the void crown or that king book we never see anymore.
atomic1fire Wrote:I like the idea, perhaps this could be one of those admin items intended to screw with players, like the void crown or that king book we never see anymore.

i've seen the book recently. sadly the captain hated fun and kept it under lock and key.

if this becomes i thing i want electricians to have the ability to make more of it. maybe every time it gets reproduced it becomes less stable and more harmful to the crew.
I think it would be pretty funny if fake traitor objectives could be a random effect of playing it, The person won't get traitor items so that they begin randomly attacking people or otherwise attacking the station for no reason.
Right, I remember hearing about this. According the guy who told me, supposedly it was one of those crazy CIA mind control experiments, which, along with the moon landing being faked and a shadow government of alien lizard men, forms the goddamn conspiracy theorist holy trinity/voltron/whatever.

I think it would be kind of nifty if a circuit board for this was hidden out on one of the space derelicts, requiring a dedicated electrician/whatever to go fly out, find it, and assemble the damn thing. Playing it could have a random chance of either immediately dispensing something cool, like a toy sword, plastic egg, basketball, etc. (this way there'll actually be an incentive to risk it for bored assistants), or giving you an injection of space madness followed by eventual teleportation to the adminmaze.
Dachshundofdoom Wrote:ispensing something cool, like a toy sword, plastic egg, basketball, etc. (this way there'll actually be an incentive to risk it for bored assistants)
Those items aren't that good of an incentive, since you can get most of those items quite easily. Strange relic possibly? championship belt? Bottle of Superglue? Geromy's jumpsuit? Fedora Hat? How about add a few cosmetic items from the admin's spawn menu? Supposedly the list of items are huge, and most never are rarely touched.
atomic1fire Wrote:I think it would be pretty funny if fake traitor objectives could be a random effect of playing it, The person won't get traitor items so that they begin randomly attacking people or otherwise attacking the station for no reason.

Yeah it would hilarious for people to start murdering each other because they thought they were an actual traitor, then get banned because they did not have the insider knowledge to know it was a joke.

I support any idea that can cause the crew to be maimed and killed horribly.
Dachshundofdoom Wrote:Right, I remember hearing about this. According the guy who told me, supposedly it was one of those crazy CIA mind control experiments, which, along with the moon landing being faked and a shadow government of alien lizard men, forms the goddamn conspiracy theorist holy trinity/voltron/whatever.

I think it would be kind of nifty if a circuit board for this was hidden out on one of the space derelicts, requiring a dedicated electrician/whatever to go fly out, find it, and assemble the damn thing. Playing it could have a random chance of either immediately dispensing something cool, like a toy sword, plastic egg, basketball, etc. (this way there'll actually be an incentive to risk it for bored assistants), or giving you an injection of space madness followed by eventual teleportation to the adminmaze.
[Image: polybiusmotherboard.gif]
[Image: NGKQR.png]
Aphtonites Wrote:[Image: NGKQR.png]
It begins! Also rumor has it that Shigeru Miyamoto made polybuis.
If the fake traitor objectives were especially nonsensical there wouldn't be too much of a risk for griff, e.g OBJECTIVE 1, "THEY HAVE THE DONUTS, WE MUST HAVE THEM."
Objective 2, "Assasinate the forbidden one!!!!

Where there's no clear end goal, but someone is convinced an admin might be involved.
FrontlineAcrobat4 Wrote:Yeah it would hilarious for people to start murdering each other because they thought they were an actual traitor, then get banned because they did not have the insider knowledge to know it was a joke.

Why the hell would we ban people for doing something we added and expected them to do?
Cogwerks Wrote:
FrontlineAcrobat4 Wrote:Yeah it would hilarious for people to start murdering each other because they thought they were an actual traitor, then get banned because they did not have the insider knowledge to know it was a joke.

Why the hell would we ban people for doing something we added and expected them to do?

I thought he meant give people actual traitor objectives like kill a person or escape alone, but now I realize what he actually meant.
I just played the SHIT out of this game.

Farmer Jeff is for, as they say, "scrublords" and "scrubber duckies."