Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Constructing AI Cores
It always makes me really sad when I join a match in progress and can't play as the AI. Eventually, I got to thinking: If the Roboticists can construct AI shells, why not take it a step further and go onto AI cores? You could save the life of an AI whose core is badly damaged or even completely broken by performing a neural processor transplant into a new body, you could build a new AI in case the old one is somehow dead and lost forever, and you can give players the chance to be the ship's AI even if no one signed up for the job originally! All one would need to do is make the frame (probably made up of metal, glass, a power core, an AI interface board, and looootsa cables), place the player's brain into the frame, and bring the new AI core over to the upload to "install" the AI core to the station's network!

But I can already hear you ask: What if you build an AI core when an AI core is already installed on the ship? What happens then? Well, I have two ideas on this. The first one is that the upload just flat-out rejects the installation of a new AI so long as there's already one on-board, requiring the dismantling of the old AI to make room for the new one...and the second one is something more interesting: Whenever an AI core is installed, it "replaces" the original AI, leaving them without the ability to interface with station controls! I foresee that this would result in many an "AI war", in which two (or possibly even more) players struggle to get their respective AIs into the station's network and cut off the other one. Definitely an interesting possibility, if you ask me.
maybe so it's not incredibly easy to make 1000 AIs ever round, the fabricator could be in the AI upload/storage?
LinkDaWolf Wrote:maybe so it's not incredibly easy to make 1000 AIs ever round, the fabricator could be in the AI upload/storage?
ugh i am bad at reading. maybe the parts (IE. the AI board or whatever) could be in there. my bad
There should indeed be some specific thing required to make an AI, though I think it should be in the robotics room (I think that's what the room south of the upload is called) as opposed to the upload proper. Makes more sense.

Also, it's not my intention to be able to start churning out AI cores like it's nobody's business, the idea is that they are a thing that you can make if you have the resources. They should be very resource-intensive, but definitely possible within the timeframe of any given round.
You can build multiple AI's on other servers. It just takes a lot of resources.
I'd like to see a syndicate AI core for nuke operative rounds. They'd just have to drag it onto the station and set it up on a floor terminal or something. Nuke ops seem to be underpowered compared to other antagonist types, and this might give them a little leg up.
This has nothing to do with making Ai cores

QP Evergrande Wrote:Nuke ops seem to be uncreative/anti-gimmicky compared to other antagonist types, and this might give them a little leg up.
Fixed that for you

Nuke-ops are plenty powerful when they are quick and work as a team (never). The main problem is that they don't have any fun/original weapons (If you don' count the rocket-launcher, which isn't really fun) or goofy costumes
pizzatiger Wrote:(If you don' count the rocket-launcher, which isn't really fun)
DID YOU REALLY JUST SAY THAT
Thems fightin words. I oughta slap your shit for that. The RPG is fucking great fun.
KikiMofo Wrote:
pizzatiger Wrote:(If you don' count the rocket-launcher, which isn't really fun)
DID YOU REALLY JUST SAY THAT
Thems fightin words. I oughta slap your shit for that. The RPG is fucking great fun.

You haven't experienced fun with RPGs untill you accidentally use a loaded one as a melee weapon.

It's very effective.
Hate to be a killjoy, but we're getting incredibly off-topic here.

Anyways, being able to somehow sabotage a constructed AI core would be an interesting possibility, and would offer a more discreet method of AI subversion than breaking into the upload. However, given how gamechanging a rogue AI would be, this should have a very high telecrystal cost, if it's even a thing at all.

Other idea: Since the AI has the ability to remotely call a shuttle, installation of a Commaster disk might be a necessary component in construction. That on its own would block off any old wacko from building an AI, since most, if not all available Commaster disks require head-level access. The only thing bugging me is that giving such an important task and having it fall under the domain of the Roboticist, a relatively ordinary station position, seems rather...iffy. But at the same time, I dunno who else would be in charge of this.
Maybe the RD or MD could be responsible for it?
It's more a matter of where the materials and construction take place, and having something as sensitive as construction of a new AI core take place somewhere as densely populated and prone to vandalism as medbay seems like a recipe for potential disaster.
Actually what is the reason for AIs not being able to be constructed? Quite often you'll get an admin mid round OOC'ing for a new AI, which is kinda silly.. Why not even have the parts already there in the upload and make them scanable?
QP Evergrande Wrote:I'd like to see a syndicate AI core for nuke operative rounds. They'd just have to drag it onto the station and set it up on a floor terminal or something. Nuke ops seem to be underpowered compared to other antagonist types, and this might give them a little leg up.

This actually sounds like a cool idea. Harder to pull off because they'll need a power source and keep it away from other attackers.

Kill someone, throw their brain in your AI core you just brought and make sure to guard it from would be attackers while it gives your team access to the captain. Maybe include some malfunction type powers so that it can take over borgs or something.
Back on topic though uh having people create their own AI cores all over the station with somehow different laws might be funny. Maybe you could create your own set of default laws with sufficient skill?