Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Syndicate Fanny Packs
I just finished a round and discovered that fanny packs are in the game; tourists spawn with them! For the longest time I've thought that fanny packs for nuke operatives would be a perfect addition both in utility and tone. It's good and practical to have a belt-mounted backpack, considering how important the jetpack is. It's even better for the tough-as-nails suicide-revenge-mission operatives to stuff their murder gear in a goofy little waist pouch. Bonus if it has custom Syndicate branding, as if they're trying to make a fanny pack look sinister and/or stylish.

This leaves both hands free and keeps you from choosing between losing all your gear if you go down and having easy access to your jetpack/air supply. It removes the handy holster function the belt slot normally provides, so you can't draw nearly as quickly if your backpack inventory isn't already open.

I know the lessened restrictions on the utility belt is already handy for this purpose and everyone carries their backpack in-hand anyway, but the important part is it's just not as funny.

You could either remove backpacks from the shuttle and let syndicate fanny packs hold normal items, or let both exist and have the fanny pack be a reskinned utility belt comedy option. Either one might prevent it from being a completely superior change. Even a compromise to leave one backpack for everyone to fight over/decide who gets to be the gear mule could work.

On the other hand, ditching the jetpack for stealth loses a lot of the advantages of the pack, and it's this case where the backpack is clearly better. Even then, they can just find another backpack in crew storage or a dead assistant. Plus having someone trying to pass as a crew member and getting caught because of a suspicious fanny pack, of all things, is too good to pass up.
You can turn any backpack into a fanny pack easily with the achievement dingus.
Berrik Wrote:You can turn any backpack into a fanny pack easily with the achievement dingus.
I think you mean satchel.
DyssalC Wrote:
Berrik Wrote:You can turn any backpack into a fanny pack easily with the achievement dingus.
I think you mean satchel.

Yeah. Satchels are still worn on the back slot (where the jetpack goes) and it's a cosmetic change.
"Anarchy packs"? I'm trying to think of a syndicate analogue to the clown's "Funny pack".

Apart from bad names, this is a good idea, having to carry your backpack around and having to pick it up all the time is annoying.
Walrus Wrote:"Anarchy packs"? I'm trying to think of a syndicate analogue to the clown's "Funny pack".

Apart from bad names, this is a good idea, having to carry your backpack around and having to pick it up all the time is annoying.

Would "Evil Planny Packs" work, or is that too much of a stretch?
Infamy packs.
It's probably not well-known, but operatives can order stealth storage containers, which fit in jumpsuit pockets and hold normal-sized items (guns etc.) as well. A fanny pack would be more intuitive to use, though, not requiring drag and drop.
Syndicate's Dan's Super Fun Time packs.

Should be the Fanny pack name.
Trade my toolbelt... Which I can open any and every door in the station with, or even take out walls with.... Just so I can hold more guns...
That really is a tough call.
Silvercloud29 Wrote:Trade my toolbelt... Which I can open any and every door in the station with, or even take out walls with.... Just so I can hold more guns...
That really is a tough call.

Even with the weakest implementation would still let you fit seven tiny-class items, such as every tool. You'd just be putting your welder and multitool and such in a goofy looking/sounding bag instead of a toolbelt! That's assuming toolbelts were even removed from the syndie shuttle as a result.
Oh! That wasn't a sarcastic pos. It was a real thought. The idea of having a belt to carry more guns really grabs my intrests. However to lose my tools over it.. Well.. I still vote ys on the idea
Maybe make it a 1 TC traitor item and give it the stealthy no-message-thing like stealth storage? It might have to have some drawback like an obvious sprite or examine text.

Sometimes I pick Tourist just so I can get the fanny pack. I wish there were some on the station.
Jerkops Wrote:Maybe make it a 1 TC traitor item and give it the stealthy no-message-thing like stealth storage? It might have to have some drawback like an obvious sprite or examine text.

Sometimes I pick Tourist just so I can get the fanny pack. I wish there were some on the station.

Was thinking making it an obvious sprite, like how the red space suit is immediately and unmistakably recognizable as being a bad guy's outfit- it's just harder to see/verify at first glance because the sprite is smaller. The fanny pack sprite would probably be the same kind of black and red coloration, unlike the dark gray of backpacks/satchels/the tourist fanny pack. It would be just nuke ops equipment, so seeing it would make people think it was a nuke ops round and could possibly blow your cover. Same thing happens when people grab the red space suit that still(?) spawns somewhere in the world.

If it held normal items like a backpack did, I think it might be enough to have it be one of the 1-TC equivalent items that only show up in surplus crates, like how the syndicate command armor itself can show up. It could be a source of misdirection and confusion: people would think you're the stealth syndie equivalent of an unknown dude that didn't take their PDA off their belt, and would be on high alert for your non-existent buddies. People screaming over the radio that they're going to get nuked because they spotted a sinister fanny pack!

Who knows. Maybe a traitor tourist could get a surplus crate equivalent: a syndie fanny pack pre-loaded with 10-15 crystals worth of random handheld stuff including the derringer and revolver but not the shotgun. Nobody expects those guys, and they don't have any access anyway.

Also Silvercloud, I don't remember if the syndicate shuttle toolbelts start fully loaded, but if there are toolboxes you could load the pack just like anyone else (even engineers!) on the station: move each item from the toolbox to your fanny pack manually. Maybe just one ready-to-go belt and some toolboxes would be a balance there.
This would be amazing to have.