Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Allow ghosts to enter their own VR or something
Pretty straightforward: give dead people the ability to enter their own VR area to play with go-karts and whatnot while waiting to be cloned or for the round to end.

It would drastically increase the use of VR and dead chat would be less unbearable.

I feel this would also increase the average round time from 50-60 minutes to 70-80 minutes since most shuttle calls are really done as a courtesy to the dead players who get bored only spectating.

Dead people would have something to do.
Winklabom Wrote:Dead people would have something to do.

The reason I'm vary of most of these ideas, including this one, is that giving dead people something to do encourages taking yourself out of the game. For example, this particular feature would encourage people to, instead of having to deal with perhaps being dragged out of VR, to die and VR instead, thus eliminating that risk. Death is a state that is intentionally very limiting because of this.
Marquesas Wrote:For example, this particular feature would encourage people to, instead of having to deal with perhaps being dragged out of VR, to die and VR instead, thus eliminating that risk.

Isn't it already like this though?

I have barely ever seen more than one person use VR over the past few months that I've been playing on Goonstation servers because everybody fears that they might get robbed and/or killed. Maybe I'm just not around when people do use VR, but the way I see it is that it's a waste of a fantastic activity.

The only other way that I believe would increase the use of VR would be to actually give people who spend time VR a reward they could use in the "real world" so to speak.

I don't know, perhaps placing down a 3D printer-like device that would let people acquire trophies and items they could win by racing or something.
I think with that horde arena planned in the other thread, we'll probably see more VR use. Right now, the place is pretty boring with just a overly large go-kart track.

As far as people purposefully killing themselves to do VR, I don't really think it would be that huge of a thing. They could already do it while living, and it's purposefully and almost irrevocably choosing to be able to do less things in game.

But dang, the construction server makes this a non issue so whatevs.
There is no reason to incentivize dying. This is a bad thing, especially since it would add lag for the people actually playing the game.
i think this would be fun in general and for people like me who routinely suicide
Dead people already have something to do: bitch about being dead, laugh at the living, stalk the treasured few who can see them, and hope they stop being dead at some point.
Here is what a wise person once said in one of the other monthly ask for ghosts to play in vr thread

Spy_guy Wrote:List of fun things to do as ghosts:

1. Watch the round.
2. Whine
3. Get told to shut up
4. Ponder how to be less dead next time
5. Ask to be macho man
6. Get told to shut up
7. GOTO 1

What more do you greedy people want!? smith considering suicide
Pro tip: Download minesweeper, spider solitaire, solitaire, and pinball on your computer, that way you can be entertained while dead and/or cloning. This is good training for your prestigious future as a working employee whenever your boss isn't watching.
Dead players should switch to one of the other three goonstation servers if they're bored. You don't need to call the shuttle "as a courtesy" to them.