Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horde mode for VR
So we recently had a round where an admin spawned waves of mobs in Thunderdome. It started with wave 1, being very weak mobs. As time went on, each wave got more difficult. I think by wave 6 we were at wendigo kings and wave 10 the giant drones.

So I'm just gonna put this into a quick and easy to read format.

-Make an area in VR for a horde mode (thunderdome or new area)
-Put lockers in that area with gear and supplies
-Once someone enters the horde mode door, they cannot re-enter if they die, only watch from a window until everyone inside dies
-People can join the horde in progress at anytime but the above point applies to them
-Horde mode with waves up to a certain number, ie wave 1 to 100
-Each wave should be more difficult than the previous, with more/different mobs
-If everyone dies, the wave count resets back to 1, and all mobs and items in the arena are cleared to prevent lag from mob spam

That's just the basics. These next bunch of points would make it awesome.

-Make a new area and have it station themed, such as the space diner or the bar
-Put in barricade tools or new traps that can be set up
-Put in a buffer time between waves or every couple waves for the players to prepare
-Adjust wave difficulty depending on player condition (if players are doing good, throw more baddies at them, if they're doing bad, give them some cool supplies)
-Make the horde mode last 100 to 1000 waves in total
-Make every 10th wave be a boss wave if 100, or every 25th wave if 1000
-Add some super secret cool thing at the end of 100 or 1000 waves like a medal and skin or something
-AND ADD SOME COOL MUSIC FOR BOSS WAVES, I could even make ss13 themed music
This sounds like a fun idea.
There should probably be an upper limit on the amount of people able to fight the horde though, maybe 6?
Also I think 1000 rounds would not be feasible if you consider that most SS13 rounds don't last a full hour. 100 would be a much better number if the aim is to make it possible to complete.
One last suggestion I'd make is to replace your window suggestion with TVs and cameras. This way the mobs inside wouldn't be targeting the people outside and there'd be something fun to watch on the station TV sets.
The reward for winning should be the vr key
I absolutely love this and will work on it after construction if nobody else picks it up by then.
We do this all the time in the Goonstation DnD campaign, and it's a heck of a lot of fun. I support this whole heartedly.
What i always wanted was for marquesas to take his special Admin adventure toolkit and shove it into VR with a special Game designer pod and taking all the space in VR currently and making it blank space. Then you drop the game designer in with the adventure toolkit with a few hard coded guidelines for the VR version and then you have a 100% better VR

That way not only can people make cool adventures but they can make Horde modes, DnD adventures that build as you play, A stage for plays/court-stuff.

Also marquess here is an important question: Is it possible to make custom npc's/traders with your toolkit. It would be the same UI with diffrent offers/speech stuff
Okay, I got a better idea to put in. Rather than gear lockers spawning at the start just make a Vend-a-Class machine. Players in the lobby can use this machine to pick a class, which automatically equips them with that class' gear and tools.

Paramedic: Comes equipped with the paramedic suit, a pack full of high end meds, stimpacks, maybe a cool item that synthesizes meds over time, and some light gun meant for self-defense
T.U.R.D. Trooper: Comes equipped with TURDS clothes and heavy armor, carries a butcher knife for a last line of defense, and advanced eguns
T.U.R.D. Heavy: Comes equipped with really heavy, slow armor that let's you take a shit ton of damage. They carry a big ass gun and a c-saber
Construction Worker: Ripped straight from construction mode, they have all the gear needed to make blockades, traps, and useful devices such as machines and teleporters
Berserker: A class with medium armor, some meds, and a lot of melee weapons. The red chainsaw, csabers, butcher knives, etc. This guy rips and tears

Bonus classes that are unlocked to anyone who's beaten horde mode. These carry over to new rounds permanently. Tie them to a medal maybe? Also give each one a downside.

Axe Maniac: The crazy musical Axe Killer that sometimes appears on the station. Has insanely high health, does a ton of melee damage with his axe, and twitches all over. Downside to using him is that all lights in the horde area don't work
Automatron: The automatron from the solarium, only this thing shoots lasers and moves insanely fast. The downside is that it attracts the attention of mobs more due to its clicking.
King in Yellow: Works the same way as the Berserker, but when he is around allies they gain a decent health regeneration rate over time. The bad thing is that everyone around him starts to hallucinate.
Ali0en Wrote:Okay, I got a better idea to put in. Rather than gear lockers spawning at the start just make a Vend-a-Class machine. Players in the lobby can use this machine to pick a class, which automatically equips them with that class' gear and tools.

Paramedic: Comes equipped with the paramedic suit, a pack full of high end meds, stimpacks, maybe a cool item that synthesizes meds over time, and some light gun meant for self-defense
T.U.R.D. Trooper: Comes equipped with TURDS clothes and heavy armor, carries a butcher knife for a last line of defense, and advanced eguns
T.U.R.D. Heavy: Comes equipped with really heavy, slow armor that let's you take a shit ton of damage. They carry a big ass gun and a c-saber
Construction Worker: Ripped straight from construction mode, they have all the gear needed to make blockades, traps, and useful devices such as machines and teleporters
Berserker: A class with medium armor, some meds, and a lot of melee weapons. The red chainsaw, csabers, butcher knives, etc. This guy rips and tears

Bonus classes that are unlocked to anyone who's beaten horde mode. These carry over to new rounds permanently. Tie them to a medal maybe? Also give each one a downside.

Axe Maniac: The crazy musical Axe Killer that sometimes appears on the station. Has insanely high health, does a ton of melee damage with his axe, and twitches all over. Downside to using him is that all lights in the horde area don't work
Automatron: The automatron from the solarium, only this thing shoots lasers and moves insanely fast. The downside is that it attracts the attention of mobs more due to its clicking.
King in Yellow: Works the same way as the Berserker, but when he is around allies they gain a decent health regeneration rate over time. The bad thing is that everyone around him starts to hallucinate.

Having classes to play as would be awesome!
I fullheartedly approve adding this to VR, while were at it, lets improve the thunderdome idea a bit so that there is an independant gladiatorial death match arena, equipped both with modern/futuristic firearms, and good old fashioned different types of gladiatorial armor/weapons, for the glory of the emperor!
There used to be a deathmatch vr area with wizard tomes and all guns but no one used it so it got removed.

Anyway I think there should be a way to let dead people spawn again. Maybe everyone can respaen after a boss is killed.

Also thought of powerups but that may be tacky.
Ali0en Wrote:There used to be a deathmatch vr area with wizard tomes and all guns but no one used it so it got removed.

Anyway I think there should be a way to let dead people spawn again. Maybe everyone can respaen after a boss is killed.

Alot of people used it (plus it was more used then the go-kart track) I was sadden when it was removed
Ali0en Wrote:There used to be a deathmatch vr area with wizard tomes and all guns but no one used it so it got removed.

I think power ups and respawning would actually be pretty neat in VR. Have a little console outside the arena that let's you toggle different settings like respawn times (10 second delay, after waves are cleared, none) powerups, higher or lower health, infinite stamina, environmental traps, and whatever else might be neat.

Some kind of across round leader board that shows stats on players and what variables they had active would be neat as well.
I meant like useable orbs that randomly drop that would give things like increased speed, temporary genetic mutations, more health, etc.

Also for FUN toggles like what you suggested it'd have to disable the special 100 wave reward.
Oh yeah, I figured as much. Little Quake style things. The other toggables would be more things to make it easier or harder than the default.
Maybe successfully completing other game events, like doing all your wizard objectives, or beating a telescience area, could unlock some vr horde roles.

Maybe some joke hidden roles like:

Clown: Who keeps adding clowns to our VR simulations? Honk (possible achievement for someone who wins while playing as a clown)

Mage: Sorta like the wizard but not a jerk, his/her robes don't protect very well, but their magic is both offensive and defensive, giving the player the ability to spawn forcefields and shoot fireballs in a direction, as well as unlock new spells as the horde progresses in true nerd fashion.

Admin Gimmick only( Martian Ambassador: Armed with martians and a desire for conquest, this player's sole purpose is to spawn minions in their defense and carry a laser, they are incredibly low on health and if they die any remaining martians turn hostile against remaining players)

George the dog: This role is armed with teeth, and a intense dislike of cats. Players get a bonus if george survives the end of the hordes. Basically a VIP.

Chainsaw Enthusiast: No one knows why anyone would work with a person with two chainsaw arms, but their sole talent is swinging their chainsaws wildly in combat and it seems rather effective.

drug addict: armed with lots of drugs, alcohol, and a razer blade, they have a drug dealer who can occasionally drop off a crate of drugs and alcohol. Good for increasing stamina and getting some broken bottles for self defense, except when they're on the floor suffering from withdrawl.

Some of these ideas might be awful because I tried to think of things that would be everything between overpowered and under powered in terms of "you have to unlock this yourself"