Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chemistry med changes/additions
I'm just gonna list some stuff I'd like to see added and changed, speaking someone in medschool.

Naloxone: A counter to opioid based drugs. It blocks off the receptor site that opiates attach to. This stops a current opiate high and keeps the high from coming back for some time. Opiate dosages in large amounts will cause respiratory depression (barely any breathing) and eventually respiratory arrest (no breathing). If you give Naloxone to someone in either states, within 30 seconds, they will be back to normal completely. This is a drug carried by pretty much all ambulances throughout the US so it's a big drug.

Morphine: I'd like to see morphine cause respiratory depression and eventually arrest. As it is now you just pass out for some time and never have breathing issues.

Atropine: I'd like to see 1 or 2 auto-injectors added with the paramedic suits simply because many ambulances carry them in case of a terrorist attack. They're meant to protect the first responders so that they can do their job. Also, Atropine should stop heart problems at their current stage and keep it there for a while. It's great for cardiac stabilization.

Mannitol: This stuff will make your patient pee, a lot. I don't believe it currently does that right now.

Haloperidol: This also treats Tourette's syndrome. Make it not cause outbursts.

That's about it off the top of my head.
Morphine's relatively easy to obtain, I'd be leery making it something on-par with say sarin (which is also easy to obtain but at least requires chemistry). And if it isn't a good poison then naloxone won't really have a reason to exist.
Haliperidol cures space madness and berserker, so it already kind of does that.
Doesn't treat tourettes.
I assume by auto injectors on the paramedic coats you mean like the vapomatic or injector belt and atropine causes movement confusion so I do not see how that would help them do their job at all. A shot of epi would be a much better effect imo, if you're too low just jam a patch on also be able to walk in the correct direction
Ali0en Wrote:Doesn't treat tourettes.

Tourettes is genetic, though.
As I said atropine is used irl to block nerve agents such as sarin.

Also yes crumple it is used irl to treat tourettes.
We don't "treat" things in SS13 we cure them. Why treat it when mutadone gets rid of it entirely (except for the twitchy sprite which has been an issue for-fucking-ever).
Loads of drugs in chem that treat things so that's irrelevant.
I'd be down for ibogaine to get a feature over naloxone if only because it makes you barf profusely while treating the opiate addiction.
DyssalC Wrote:Haliperidol cures space madness and berserker, so it already kind of does that.

haloperidol + mannitol is my home remedy for drug withdrawls in medbay.

Haloperidol for the shakes, and mannitol for any residual brain damage.

Also taking both and then having to pee a lot would be funny.
Add transplantable kidneys. If you don't pee when you need to (e.g. mannitol) you will eventually develop kidney failure and need a new kidney.
If removable kidneys becomes a thing then dialysis should be a thing.

It might venture too close to awful territory, but dialysis was first invented in 1943 in the nazi occupied netherlands.

It was a hodgepodge of parts including a washing machine because they didn't have a whole lot of resources.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialysis#History

If crew quarters gets a washing machine and somebody can jury rig several containers and some tubing, I think using crew quarters as a ghetto dialysis room would certainly interesting if kinda gross.

It sounds like something goons would do, if in a completely horrible way.

As for safe medical treatments, an actual dialysis machine that could be connected to the surgery table would be a good idea, at least until a kidney becomes available for the victim.
Kidney Failure could reduce the rate at which chemicals are removed from your blood and causes symptoms like vomiting, passing out, lose breath, reduced movement speed, reduced stamina (regeneration), toxin damage, etc. with worsening effects as the staging escalates. There should be a good number of stages, and dialysis would reduce staging over time (down to stage 1).
So let me see if I understand this correctly:

Ali0en Wrote:Naloxone: A counter to opioid based drugs. It blocks off the receptor site that opiates attach to. This stops a current opiate high and keeps the high from coming back for some time. Opiate dosages in large amounts will cause respiratory depression (barely any breathing) and eventually respiratory arrest (no breathing). If you give Naloxone to someone in either states, within 30 seconds, they will be back to normal completely. This is a drug carried by pretty much all ambulances throughout the US so it's a big drug.

Morphine: I'd like to see morphine cause respiratory depression and eventually arrest. As it is now you just pass out for some time and never have breathing issues.
What you're saying is that drug overdoses should cause your lungs to stop functioning and Naloxone is the counter medicine to lung problems while also stopping the effects of the drug. Are there any downsides to naloxone? Overdose effects of its own? Which drugs we have in the game actually fall under the opiates category? If I understand it correctly lung problems are currently modeled with the LOSEBREATH value that if it gets too high increases suffocation damage until you get heart problems. Would you want to replace that or add to it?
On the one hand I like the idea that you might need to be a bit more careful about using meth all the time. On the other hand, while it may be realistic for people to die if they OD on drugs, it would make a bunch of stuff that is easy to obtain in high quantities very lethal. What might be interesting is having some prolonged use effects for drugs but that's something different altogether. My point is going for realism should not come at the cost of fun stuff you can do in the game.

Ali0en Wrote:Atropine: I'd like to see 1 or 2 auto-injectors added with the paramedic suits simply because many ambulances carry them in case of a terrorist attack. They're meant to protect the first responders so that they can do their job. Also, Atropine should stop heart problems at their current stage and keep it there for a while. It's great for cardiac stabilization.
These might be useful? If I understand it correctly the auto-injectors kick in if you get to crit yourself so atropine would keep you somewhat stable. The question is since it keeps you in crit would you be able to actually act in order to save yourself and others or would you just die after the atropine wears off? Never had atropine used on me without doctors around or other chems mixed in.
The problem here is that auto-injectors are somewhat rare at the moment, making them easier to get is not necessarily a good thing. People would just grab or steal these immediately and fill them with their own resurrection cocktail for maximum robustness.

Ali0en Wrote:Mannitol: This stuff will make your patient pee, a lot. I don't believe it currently does that right now.

Haloperidol: This also treats Tourette's syndrome. Make it not cause outbursts.
Mannitol making you pee sounds fun enough, Haloperidol could suppress the tourette's flailing but then like others mentioned it's much harder to get haloperidol than mutadone which just cures the tourette's altogether with less side effects. So not much of a point to it