Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Get rid of LLJK #1 or 2
It seems lately there's been a big problem with pretty much everyone who plays going to server 4. There never seems to be enough people on 1 or 2 to justify joining, and if one of them was removed, the 8 players on each of those servers suddenly becomes 16, a somewhat reasonably enjoyable number of players.

So basically, remove one of the two servers that are underpopulated (and not a test server), and we can maybe solve the issue of having nowhere decent to play when you die on 4.
Agree. We have more players overall than when we had two servers, yet back then you can actually have proper rounds on both. Now #4 is the only viable server if you want a proper secret round, 24/7.
No.

See, here's the thing, guys. LLJK 4 is the server that just about everyone and their dog goes on, but not everyone appreciated getting bombed within ten minutes. Some people appreciate the opportunity of having a more low-key server and having the ability to test things out. LLJK 1 and 2 were godsends for me and still are, as a relatively new player, because the ability to figure things out can be very difficult with FIFTY GODDAMN PEOPLE flailing around. I understand that insanity is part of SS13's reputation, but we need to consider the people who aren't accustomed to it. Some people don't learn very effectively from being tossed into a pool, and if we get rid of one or both of the servers, we deprive them of maneuvering room, and effectively, new players.

I think that the current setup works very well. LLJK 1 is a lowpop secret server, allowing for antagonists to try out the trade and the players to pick up basic anti-antagonist measures. LLJK 2, usually being on extended mode, gives a perfect playground for people to research secret chems and hellburns and go on grand telescience adventures. LLJK 4 and the insanity thereof sometimes grows tiresome, and the ability to have a relatively chill reprieve gives an ability to recharge, reboot, research, rearm, and go back for another round. They encourage experimentation and familiarization, and lessen the looming threat of dying just enough to make people comfortable. I don't know about you, but it seems like LLJK 4 would be an absolutely shitty place to try and figure out secret chems and such as an average player.

Two cents distributed.
BaneOfGiygas Wrote:No.

What he said.
I swear this thread pops up every two months. If you want a medium density server to play on when you're dead, join a low pop and encourage other deadchatters to join the same one. Simply saying "Nobody cares about people who like low density servers, lets force them to become medium density so that WE can have fun" is inconsiderate to both those people, and those that work hard to make it so that you even get to play on more than one server. Show some thought for others, please.
FishDance2 Wrote:Show some thought for others, please.

How on earth is this offensive or a personal attack on people? Where are you pulling this from? Jesus Christ.

When there were only two servers they ranged between 20-40 people each and it was reasonable, rather than the 60-80 that are perpetually crammed onto one server. I understand how having low-pop servers can be helpful to new players but the game is fundamentally broken when there is not enough people playing.

I really don't understand the mindset people have towards LLJK 4 as if it's "!!! CRAZY BOMBING EVERYONE DIES WITHIN FIVE MINUTES ~PANIC~ ADMIN ROUND ASS DAY EXPLOSIONS !!!" all of the time. IMO it is honestly ridiculous that we have these "How to survive on LLJK #4 servers" threads. It's the exact same game as the other servers.
I say we get rid off them. On average there's really only 8-12 people who play the server at a time counting both servers. I get that those servers are for people who want to train and or play to learn the basics or get do telescience. Honestly I think if they migrated over to three it wouldn't matter a whole lot. On another note, can we get LLJK3 to not crash every ten minutes? I swear to god that its always down 24/7. Besides if you guys do fix 3 its never played, having those who play on 1&2 move to it would make some sense since they would still have a server to play on.

tl;dr
Fix LLjk3, put the people from LLJK 1&2 on it, remove the two servers, and bam we have two servers that are gonna be played on. One for the people who prefer calm, and the other people who like the chaos of 4.
We should keep #1 and #2 as each server has its own perks. #4 is the general run of the mill mayhem server, #1 is a lighter round which is enjoyable in its own ways even if not typically my cup of tea, and #2 is the extended/research server which is hugely useful even for those of us that have been around for a year plus. I figured out initro there, came up with a decent hellfoam (though still a work in progress), and learned to bomb there.

As much as I'd enjoy seeing #1 with a few more players (not many, just a few) it shouldn't be done by killing the research server. Now, combining #1 or #2 with the new Construction game mode might work.

I do think #3 should be removed from the listings until it is up and running again.
Walrus Wrote:I really don't understand the mindset people have towards LLJK 4 as if it's "!!! CRAZY BOMBING EVERYONE DIES WITHIN FIVE MINUTES ~PANIC~ ADMIN ROUND ASS DAY EXPLOSIONS !!!" all of the time. IMO it is honestly ridiculous that we have these "How to survive on LLJK #4 servers" threads. It's the exact same game as the other servers.
That's because you're probably used to it. I'm looking at this from the perspective of someone who has only been playing the game for a while, and trust me, to the relatively uneducated eye, LLJK 4 is fucking nuts. Yes, it is manageable if you grow accustommed to it, but I just want to make a case for the people who aren't. I'm going to go back to the pool analogy before: The metaphorical pool of LLJK 4 may he a pretty reasonable pool, but to the people standing over the edge, it looks fucking terrifying.

In short, I'm not trying to say that LLJK 4 is absolute terror and insanity no matter what always. I'm saying that it looks that way to newcomers, and steers away those who might take an interest in the game. And although it is the same game, you cannot deny that there is a noteworthy discrepancy between the playstyles of the highpop and lowpop servers. Perhaps not an incredibly large schism, but still one that is intimidating.
LLJK #1 and #2 seem to be set on private or something, which is probably contributing to them being so underpopulated.

Turning them back to public like #4 will probably even things out.
I like having two underused servers for one reason.

You can do whatever gimmick thing you have planned without station hijinks in the way.

You're guaranteed to have a role of your choice assume the round has already started, because you can just pick captain/another head if you can't get that role.

While there are some roles you kinda have to practice with other people, roles like engineer can be learned on lljk 1 or 2 because no one will try to murder you while you figure them out, and if you have to restart something and you're the only player, you can just suicide to force a round start.
This is a dumb idea, especially considering one of them will be repurposed for construction soon.