Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Face Mask"
BruiseCruise Wrote:This looks like it's about to turn into another "Well I don't think it's creepy/Well I think it's creepy" threads.
No it doesn't. Nobody is saying it's creepy anymore. The only people concerned with it seem to be saying it's NOT creepy, despite the fact nobody is saying it is.
I'd rather we discussed if my idea has any merits, please.

What I envisioned initially, as per the OP, was a temporary mask (it decays over a few minutes) that would make your mob's name change when you are examined:

E.G: My name is Joe Shmoe. I make and wear a mask of Clown Johnson. When I speak, it will show up as Joe Shmoe (as Clown Johnson).

When examined, it will show my name as Clown Johnson (as Joe Shmoe) right up until I speak and if I'm still wearing my original ID. However, it should also show in a bold red text that something is definitely wrong with my face as the mask starts decaying:

Clown Johnson's face looks strange and seems to emit a putrid smell! Gross!
That's disgusting. Please, never implement this.
Grek Wrote:That's disgusting. Please, never implement this.
Fuck you for bringing this back to this point, or perhaps this should be directed at Winklabom.

Okay, so from a mechanic's standpoint, nothing else rots flesh-wise. It's not really important that it rots, considering it's pretty much just the bonus of wearing a mask with somebody else's ID but also looking like them.

To elaborate more on Grek's point, that is in fact disgusting. It's a videogame, but after a certain point some things become so putrid that even the thought of it happening digitally triggers the gag reflex. And even though it could be said the face mask itself is gross, what's grosser than a face mask? A face mask with graying skin and decayed flesh under it emitting a foul odor.

Unnecessary and repugnant, best added as just a face mask.
I dunno why there can't just be latex masks imo.
It's really simple. Just make it so you can wear decapitated heads that have no brain or skull in them. It would be worn on the helmet slot not the mask slot. The sprites are already there. Easy to implement.
DyssalC Wrote:
Grek Wrote:That's disgusting. Please, never implement this.
Fuck you for bringing this back to this point, or perhaps this should be directed at Winklabom.
I don't mind skull masks. I don't mind fried limbs. I'll happily pick a heart up out of a pile of gibs and chow down. But you know what all of those have in common? None of them involve smearing rotten meat all over your face! That crosses a line that I'm having trouble articulating. Its like poo. It makes me wonder if its somehow related to someone's fetish. Maybe that's rude of me to think, but it gives me the creeps the same way.
It most definitely is not a fetish but merely a mechanic that I thought of in order to determine whether or not the person you're talking to is an impostor and to perhaps force people to change faces often.

I'm not going to argue with you that the thought of rotten flesh makes you uncomfortable but it already is part of the game:

Corpses that are not in a morgue tray/filled with embalming fluid will rot over time and bloat before fully decomposing into skeletons. There even is a chemical called Rotting that makes the living go through the process of a purely aesthetic decomposition.

I just thought it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to have a similar mechanic for the proposed face masks.
Its not a question of it being realistic. It's a question of, "What does this add to the game other than being really gross?" This idea doesn't add new crime options, since it would be much easier to just steal their ID and wear a gas mask. More effective, too, if face masks rot. There's no non-crime reason to cut someone's face off and wear it as a mask, other than aesthetics. But if its aesthetic only, why have it rot off? Having the masks rot isn't required for traitor balancing, since steal face + voice changer is not some sort of OP combo. Its not in line with other mechanics, since we don't have worn butts decay on top of people's heads. Basically, what I want to know is:

1. What does being able to cut someone's face off and wear it add to the game that gas mask + ID doesn't?
2. Why does access to these masks need to be made limited time only and/or unreliable by big red rotting face messages?
3. Why go with the ultra gross 'decaying severed faces' option instead of some kind of temporary latex costuming?
Grek Wrote:1. What does being able to cut someone's face off and wear it add to the game that gas mask + ID doesn't?
2. Why does access to these masks need to be made limited time only and/or unreliable by big red rotting face messages?
3. Why go with the ultra gross 'decaying severed faces' option instead of some kind of temporary latex costuming?
I'll agree with you that the rotting part is unnecessary for a number of reasons.

However, the reason it's better than gas mask and ID is because it's less suspicious because it looks like a person with no mask being themselves rather than a person with a mask skulking about.

Why go with cutting the face off instead of a mask? Because it's fun. Cut somebodies face off, now they have no face. Wear their face! Steal a bunch of people's faces and be the only person with a face! It alone isn't really that gross, and really the only part slightly overboard is the rotting bit, but that's because it adds an extra layer of difficulty to the coding bit and doesn't really do anything except making the masks temporary, which honestly I feel takes away from the fun of the idea.

The rest is just you having a weak stomach. You can state that it's gross over and over again until you're blue in the face but there's no rule about creepy anymore. You'd have to make a better case rather than pulling some bullshit "I think it might be somebodies fetish" move, because that's fucking stupid that you're accusing somebody, more than likely the person who came up with the idea, of having a Face/Off fetish.
Just to clarify: I have no problem with ripping faces off being added to the game! I actually suggested something similar in the replicant thread. It's the "But they need to slowly go rotten!" thing that makes me go confused . Well, that and it having to specifically be a dead person's face. What's the point of ripping someone's face off if they can't run around screaming with no face?
My idea involves using something already in the game (disembodied heads without skulls and brains).

Having an actual face removal surgery would be absolutely fantastic but I believe it would be more complicated than just turning an already existing item into a wearable item coding-wise.

The rotting part is not absolutely necessary and if people are against that then it can be removed. It was just a thought I had back when I originally created this thread because Halloween was close and I believed that it would be spooky.
This is actually a good and fun idea. Skull-less and brainless heads are in game and so is replacing the head sprite. I guess I just posted this to show my support for this idea.
Hufflaw Wrote:This is actually a good and fun idea. Skull-less and brainless heads are in game and so is replacing the head sprite. I guess I just posted this to show my support for this idea.

TBH I had the same thought when I saw decapitated heads could have their skulls removed.
Daeren Wrote:
Hufflaw Wrote:This is actually a good and fun idea. Skull-less and brainless heads are in game and so is replacing the head sprite. I guess I just posted this to show my support for this idea.

TBH I had the same thought when I saw decapitated heads could have their skulls removed.

How complicated would it be to implement this to the game ?