Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Artifact research scripts
So I've been spending a bit of time with artifact research lately and since I also recently figured out how the guardbuddies work I remembered that there was this bit about scripts for Dwaine terminals on the wiki. Long story short, typing the same commands into the art-research computer over and over is a pain so I made myself some scripts to make things more convenient and thought I'd share them here.
echo #!|ngptio poke xray radstrength 1|ngptio activate xray ^./xr1
echo #!|ngptio poke xray radstrength 2|ngptio activate xray ^./xr2
echo #!|ngptio poke xray radstrength 3|ngptio activate xray ^./xr3
echo #!|ngptio poke xray radstrength 4|ngptio activate xray ^./xr4
echo #!|ngptio poke xray radstrength 5|ngptio activate xray ^./xr5
echo #!|ngptio poke xray radstrength 6|ngptio activate xray ^./xr6
echo #!|ngptio poke xray radstrength 7|ngptio activate xray ^./xr7
echo #!|ngptio poke xray radstrength 8|ngptio activate xray ^./xr8
echo #!|ngptio poke xray radstrength 9|ngptio activate xray ^./xr9
echo #!|ngptio poke xray radstrength 10|ngptio activate xray ^./xr10
echo #!|ngptio read xray ^./xr

echo #!|ngptio activate heater ^./ha
echo #!|ngptio deactivate heater ^./hd
echo #!|ngptio read heater ^./hr
echo #!|ngptio poke heater temptarget 200 ^./htm
echo #!|ngptio poke heater temptarget 400 ^./htp

echo #!|ngptio activate elecbox ^./ea
echo #!|ngptio deactivate elecbox ^./ed
echo #!|ngptio read elecbox ^./er
echo #!|ngptio poke elecbox voltage 1 ^./evl
echo #!|ngptio poke elecbox voltage 100 ^./evh
echo #!|ngptio poke elecbox wattage 1 ^./ewl
echo #!|ngptio poke elecbox wattage 50 ^./ewh
Each line creates one script file in your current directory, you just have to navigate to /mnt/artlab first and then enter them one by one. The bit at the end is the filename, modify it to your liking but I wanted them as short as possible so I just used one letter for the device, one for the command and one for additional distinction. Should be pretty self-explanatory what they do, for the xray I combined setting the value and activating because it deactivates by itself and this allows for quickly scanning through all strength values. I didn't bother with the pitcher because I never use it but feel free to make your own.
I also tried making a script that would go through the voltages/wattages at increments of 10 but there is no delay command so it seems to just process about 4 commands at once. Also unless there is a way to upload a file instead of manually entering it the character limit means you have to break up the script into about 20 lines you have to enter one by one. Wasn''t there a paper scanner on the station somewhere? maybe with that, anyways have fun.
You, sir, deserve a medal.
Call it the "You're a NERD!" medal and award it for doing too much stuff on a computer in a round and I'll sprite a nerd-glasses & white shirt skin for it wink
I'm sad that I didn't think of this. Bravo and well done.
Since scripting is fun. Here's a fun thing you can do as a head with dwaine access.
Code:
su
term_login
echo By signing in you agree that you are a nerd that smells like farts ^/conf/motd

Note that I think you have to sign out before you can actually see the addition to the login screen so if you run into artifact research and login and then logout of the artifact computers. the scientists might see it.

If I recall correctly one of the connectable points on the network is the AI's computer. You can talk to the AI via terminal if you find it.

Also use echo words ^/mnt/printername (cd /mount for a list of printers and other things like /mnt/lp-security) to send words to printers. use this to be productive or send the word nerd to departments you don't like.

Code:
echo This is the captain, go solve crimes ^/mnt/lp-security

Printers are prefixed with lp on the mount list.

I'm pretty sure you can use that regardless of department access as long as you have access to a dwaine computer.

Note don't use these things to be huge jerks.
great now install ati drivers on debian 7 64-bit and you'll officially become badass

on a more related note, if only it was proper bash, I think i'd be able to condense this into a single script, not sure if it would be that more practical though who knows
Also now that I think about it, isn't that research script just a bunch of clever alias's without actually having an alias command.
Splatpope Wrote:great now install ati drivers on debian 7 64-bit and you'll officially become badass

very constructive

also who the fuck uses ati
Splatpope Wrote:on a more related note, if only it was proper bash, I think i'd be able to condense this into a single script, not sure if it would be that more practical though who knows

That would have the same problem as my larger script in that entering it is a pain in the ass. Character limit on computers is about as long as two of my scripts, to make larger files you have to keep adding to the same file. What I do with these is start with the "xr1" and "xr" scripts until I find an artifact I actually want to activate, then I do hobo-artscience. Only if it's still not activated I start entering the other scripts.

One thing I've been wondering is how precise certain triggers need to be and what works as a trigger apart from the machines. Sometimes you have artifacts with activation thresholds outside the machines ranges. Usually with impact where you need a bomb to do it but I also had an artifact that seemed to need radiation slightly above xr10. I also ghosted a round where an admin activated a wish artifact, he said the trigger was cold but the guy testing it said he tested the art for cold on the heater. How can you activate an art that needs a temperature below 200°K without an admin? I tried cryostylane and spacing but neither seemed to do much. Would cold gas in a room work?
As for the precision question, usually I keep the heater on the lowest setting and test for heat with the welder. And I only use min/max values in the elecbox but since on the xray sometimes you needsto go through all the strengths I wondered if the same level of precision can be necessary for other triggers. I also revently had an artgun that responded to impact but both bashing it and a giant explosion failed to activate it so it seemingly needed something in between.

As a last note, I have a spreadsheet of artifacts I compiled with the values you get from the machines. Seems like the xray values are pretty much enough to clearly identify the artifact function. The list is probably far from complete but the common ones are definetly in there. I was thinking of sharing the list but I'm not sure if that's okay to do.