Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A quick logistics question/discussion
Is it RDM to blow somebody's arms off, but then replace them in SS13?

On another note, is RDM still RDM if the man kills them, but then re-clones them?

I'm creating this thread more as a question/discussion hybrid, being I've never really pondered the question before.
TheBloodMaster Wrote:Is it RDM to blow somebody's arms off, but then replace them in SS13?

On another note, is RDM still RDM if the man kills them, but then re-clones them?

I'm creating this thread more as a question/discussion hybrid, being I've never really pondered the question before.
For both questions (unless you were some sort of antag, like traitor, syndie, changeling, etc, or doing it to a CONFIRMED antag) you need to ask yourself two things: Were you intentionally trying to do it? If no, was what you were doing incredibly stupid and bound to lead to that end result?

If no is the answer to both of those, than no, it's not "RDM", it's just a mistake, shit happens. Though make sure to correct said mistake to the best of your ability, ESPECIALLY if somebody accidentally died because of you.
I advise newbies that the best way to determine if an action is antag-only or not is to ask yourself this:

Does this intentionally, unavoidably and permanently fuck over someone else's ability to play their round?

Making deadly floorpills is permanent and intentional, but perfectly avoidable - just don't eat them.
Acccidentally killing a guy is unavoidable and permanent but not intentional.
Flashing or stunning someone is intentional and unavoidable, but not permanent.

So those are all kosher and unlikely to get you into shit with the admins, though security is welcome to apply Space Law to your face.

Things NOT to do: Killing dudes, obviously. Cutting off arms. Welding into lockers. Intentionally stranding people off station. Straightjacketing. Stealing living peoples' ID cards. Making areas of the station uninhabitable.
Grayshift Wrote:I advise newbies that the best way to determine if an action is antag-only or not is to ask yourself this:

Does this intentionally, unavoidably and permanently fuck over someone else's ability to play their round?

Making deadly floorpills is permanent and intentional, but perfectly avoidable - just don't eat them.

So those are all kosher and unlikely to get you into shit with the admins, though security is welcome to apply Space Law to your face.

Things NOT to do: Killing dudes, obviously. Cutting off arms. Welding into lockers. Intentionally stranding people off station. Straightjacketing. Stealing living peoples' ID cards. Making areas of the station uninhabitable.
This is an excellent way to look at it and an excellent post.
A+ would read again
Haine Wrote:
Grayshift Wrote:I advise newbies that the best way to determine if an action is antag-only or not is to ask yourself this:

A+ would read again

Seconded, well put. I feel it's necessary to mention that the last one's a little contextual, though. While flashing/stunning someone isn't actually harmful per se, it can have nasty side effects depending on what's going on. If you flash/stun someone in an airless hallway and they don't have internals, they're liable to suffocate, for instance. If you stun a sec officer in a public place they're probably going to get all their shit stolen, and that's is almost assuredly permanent because he's not getting that junk back. So just try to be aware of what's going on around you, and be aware of the kind of consequences your actions will have.

On another note, what the hell does RDM stand for?
Crumplehat Wrote:On another note, what the hell does RDM stand for?
Random Death Match. The term works better in games such as Trouble in Terrorist Town, due to it mainly being about shooting and stuff.
Zadeon Wrote:
Crumplehat Wrote:On another note, what the hell does RDM stand for?
Random Death Match. The term works better in games such as Trouble in Terrorist Town, due to it mainly being about shooting and stuff.
it's mainly a darkrp thing and this is the cringiest thing in the observable universe
Splatpope Wrote:it's mainly a darkrp thing and this is the cringiest thing in the observable universe
I'm sorry you seem to be forgetting the term "murderboner"
Haine Wrote:
Splatpope Wrote:it's mainly a darkrp thing and this is the cringiest thing in the observable universe

And don't forget we also have the verb form "murderbone" and "murderboning", also applicable in adjective form, mostly to traitors.
Okay this is really beginning to make me mad,

RDM isn't a term for just gmod, or dark RP, or TTT, it is a universal term in just about any FPS,

this can range anywhere from killing fellow teammates in other games such as Battlefield, COD, Quake, Doom, etc, etc (TKs as they're called) or killing friendlies in tf2, RDM did not originate in gmod, in fact RDM has probably been around as long as shooters have, but they were not always called RDM, they can be called freekills (if you're in CSS) or Teamkills (for a lot of other FPSes) or griefing (minecraft, SS13, Terraria, etc)
Forgive my double post, I couldn't find an edit button,

I do agree with you on a few things however

1. RDM is a term used a lot in gmod, I don't blame you for this misinterpretation

2. Dark RP is very cringe-worthy,

3. TTT does use RDM as a term, but they more often use griefing/mass murdering rather then RDM, but thats just my take on it, I don't play TTT nor dark RP much.

Anyway, we're getting off track, but thanks for answering my question,
Haine Wrote:

A+ would read again

I feel like the "Permanent, unavoidable, intentional, pick two of these" should go in the rules page of the wiki along with an exact copy of greyshift's post.
Haine Wrote:
jesus christ what the fuck even is this murderboner shit, that's it i'm out cya