Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nerf colds somehow
In a long round it's not uncommon for every damn person on the station to end up with 3-4 different colds at once, because there's no way to get rid of one other than sleeping for like ten minutes. Spaceacillin doesn't seem to cure them at all.
Pathology is going to be the solution for this I think.
Nerf what exactly? I've never suffered negative effects from a cold, besides coughing and sneezing, and annoying messages about mucus.
Please stop complaining about everything arbitrary.
No, actually I was intending to make this very thread at some point, and I actually had to go check to make sure I hadn't already.

It would be one thing if colds actually behaved as they're programmed to. If internals actually kept them out, because they're airborne, or if sleeping ACTUALLY cured it in any meaningful way, or if "airborne" didn't mean that if the disease exists at all then suddenly everyone without internals - or with them, as the case tends to be - gets the disease, even if they're floating out in deep space in a pod, then it wouldn't be so annoying.

But it happens every round, it's dumb, it's not funny, and I'm just kind of sick of it. There may be no negative effects to it (aside from it being annoying) but what's the reason to keep it in? Because it annoys people? That was the excuse for keeping poo in, and it actually did stuff (and it was still dumb and stupid but it was also not ENTIRELY pointless).

I just don't get it. Sorry for being a big dumb nerd but I just don't like the cold in any facet as it currently is.
Colds being arbitrarily dumb is a thing pathology will solve. Up until then it's one of those things which work weirdly but since it affects people literally no more than the display of a few messages and is broken for no good reason (I actually looked into this, nothing indicates you _should_ be getting more than one copy), I think there are much more pressing things to worry about.

That being said, the time invested in fixing this could be better spent on something else. Beer, for example.
Multiple infections from one disease were supposedly fixed ages ago.

The reason that had to be fixed: some pathologist player had managed to create a strain of that cosbyitis gimmick disease that kept infecting themselves thousands of times with new concurrent instances of it. This caused them to emit an endlessly repeating nightmarish cacophony as overlapping bill cosby oggs blared out thousands of times a second.

ss13.txt
Marquesas Wrote:(I actually looked into this, nothing indicates you _should_ be getting more than one copy)

I thought the message that says "your cold gets worse, somehow" was supposed to indicate the presence of another stacked cold, since virtually no other disease past or current gives any indication when it actually goes up in intensity anyway.

If it's not as simple as just taking it out or deleting it or whatever (or banishing it back into the Necronomicon, I don't know, I'm not a coder), then whatever, I'm just saying it's a silly thing that exists and it'd be nice if it didn't until it actually worked. shrug
I can confirm that you can have multiple colds, I scanned myself once while sneezing, and it told me I had three separate colds, one at stage 1, and two at stage 2.

Also, sleeping is bugged as all hell. I tried to sleep away my cold, and the "Sleep In" command would never work. I tried it standing on the bed, lying down on the bed, buckled into the bed, I flashed myself on top of the bed, nada. I even disassembled the bed and rebuilt it, no dice. So far, the only way I've found to be able to reliably sleep is to use the Sleepers in Medbay. Beds almost never work.
Sleep-in command is kinda pointless, you should be able to sleep anywhere but wake up if you take damage or jostling.
I've managed to sleep fine in beds, including the one in the mod booth and the ones by Genetics. It was waking up that was the problem. And I don't think it did anything to my cold anyway.
Out of all the times I had a cold, sleeping in worked once, but my character was also drunk at the time.
Crumplehat Wrote:
Marquesas Wrote:(I actually looked into this, nothing indicates you _should_ be getting more than one copy)

I thought the message that says "your cold gets worse, somehow" was supposed to indicate the presence of another stacked cold, since virtually no other disease past or current gives any indication when it actually goes up in intensity anyway.

That's the thing, that message supposedly gives you a flu.

Oh. Well I just realized what's happening.

Not that I will fix it. (But pathology will! Contribute to the 'cure enough diseases for the release' effort today!)
For a less rude answer, a current work-in-progress project should fix this soon.
So, uh, maybe I'm just stupid... but if "Sleep-In" is useless, how do I make my spacemans go to sleep? What's the actual command I need to be using?