Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neuralizer
A step for syndicates everywhere.

A sophisticated gentleman tool, for the traitor who wants to go out with style and stealth. Why, you just pulled your revolver out of your briefcase and killed someone. A man gawks and as he goes to cry over the radio, you press the button and the room flashes. He looks dazed, and names are mixed up as he ponders. You can then take him out, or leave him. Up to you, traitor operative #4417.

What is this?

The Neuralizer, is a small tube-like tool. It can be bought for five telecrystals, maybe four. It can be recharged with three minutes and a charger. It has one use before the battery is out. So what it does, is say you need someone to be confused. You press this and anyone in the room has his chat logs messed up. Names will be replaced, actions replaced, and random text-lines will be thrown out to confuse them for thirty seconds. By then, the traitor can disappear and hide before the witness cries out over the radio. The tool can be useful, if used correctly.

So basically, MIB III esque.
This is cool, but generally people's short-term memory is going to be good enough to know who the hell did something, plus they can always examine you or even mouse over you. Even if it screwed up their ability to tell people apart, it still runs into the issue of people simply remembering on their own what your name was.
It sounds good in theory, but in practice I feel it would be a different story. For one thing, what is to stop the person you try to neuralize from toolboxing you to death after you use it on them? Would it be similar to a mind slave in that you can't simply kill the person who mindslaved you without threat of a ban? And even if this were the case, I think a player could get around it if the person was neuralized and then the syndicate did something else illegal in front of them. Think about it, how often does a random crewman stumble upon you AFTER you murdered someone and then connects the dots? Not nearly as often as when you are in the process of killing somoene. This makes it seem sort of like a gimmick, where a person pretends they didn't see anything; but it actually would almost be just as easy (and less expensive) to simply ask the crewman to forget your crimes.

How do you suggest this sort of thing be dealt with?
As Kyle points out, perhaps it can be slightly like mindslave, but all it does is make it forget you even if it can see your name/examine you/roll over you. If they break it, adminhelp it. I dunno though.
Just have it blind you for something like 10 seconds so then the user could run away and keep his identity secret.
I love this idea, but yeah, the stuff stated above. Typically, if someone's mindslaved, they'll STAY a slave even after the implant runs its course. How would a neuralizer become something other than an implanter with unlimited uses? Would it have to have the same stipulations as the artistic toolbox or something unique to it?

Christ, I like having a flash that screws up people enough to have you do whatever you want in front of them, QUICKLY, but having a rechargeable mindslave doesn't tick. (Having the damn thing with enough telecrystals to disallow a cyalume is a MAJOR plus.)
It's a great idea in theory, but it falls flat when we consider players memory and the ability to be meta.

Instead it should randomise YOUR name or something, as well as blind the target or make him have hallucinations.
Well then.

Chat logs should be messed, your name should be randomized upon both mouse-over and examine, a stun twice the duration of flash should be introduced and whatever the neutralized says for the next three minutes should either be completely replaced with random words or completely erased.
How about it deletes a portion of the chat log, as it would cause them to forget, just like in MIB.
Stun them and disable the SAY verb for five minutes. Twisted
Yes disable say and see the rage build Twisted
I approve of disabling say, but I have a long and storied history of bypassing situations where I can't talk via *custom. It would have to disable that too.
Hello mr. bright person of doom.

You do realize you have to SAY *custom to do that.
:oops:
I think it'd be worth a trial just deleting the last x minutes of chat history along with a KO about as long as a flash stun. If you're at all reasonably disguised I think the person will have a pretty hard time remembering the detail of what happened - there's so much shit that goes on in this game, it's sometimes hard to even remember a name.

Like, would it be possible to mock something like this up, and then admin-PM a traitor during a round and say "Yo, want to help test a new toy?" and if he says yes give it to him for free then watch how he uses it.