Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Martian Spriting Dump
I'm not so sure on that idea Sundance; it makes artifacts not only more complicated code-wise, it also gives martians (which are already strong as fuck) another potentially game-winning bomb or similar. Maybe the martian key could be something that has to be bought with Biomass?

Anyway here's a few ideas for Martian things, please note I've not read much of this thread at all so most of these are probably already suggested.

BIOMASS SHIT:

Pistol

It's basically a revolver resprited with (4?) shots, which does burn damage instead of brute + bleed. Classed as laser, not stopped by armour, doesn't cause bleed. All martians start with this.

Rifle

Essentially the same as the above, but with an extended ammo hold, maybe about 15 shots? I dunno. Shooots a bigger looking beam, does maybe a bit more damage.

Mounted Cannon

The equivalent of an Emitter that doesn't need to be wrenched and shit; take it out of your bag (martians should have something that's not a bag like a nasty martian pouch or something) and slap it on the floor, then click it again to activate it like you would a meteor shield generator.

Martian Biopods

With pods now being A Thing, the martians should be able to get one; fly it over to the station, pile out and shoot dudes, chuck dead dudes inside, teleport home. Job done gg.

The Claw

Martian melee weapon, works like the Chef's butcher knife without the thrown damage function or bleed; if you gib someone with it, however, it auto-converts them to biomass. Not as much as if you'd tossed them in the pool, though.

Martian Corpsebot

Works like a deployable guardbuddy; take it out of your bag and activate it, and if a human body is near, it drags them back to wherever the martians have set it to go. (definitely 100% not stolen from that Corpsebot suggestion thread)
Weavel Wrote:Stuff
I'm certain this wouldn't be too tough to code at all. I'm almost certain artifacts already have which class they are in code from the previous artifact lab, the key would just recognise what class they are, and (note, this is important) when scanned what artifact it is, the key would activate, not the artifact. This would delete the artifact as it is "used up".
Also note, the bomb the eldritch artifacts use wouldn't be as strong as a some of the nuke artifacts, probably just 12x12. That could potentially work against you, as you require the human remains un-gibbed.

Now onto some of your suggestions. You're right, most of these have already been suggested/decided.

Quote:Pistol
It's basically a revolver resprited with (4?) shots, which does burn damage instead of brute + bleed. Classed as laser, not stopped by armour, doesn't cause bleed. All martians start with this.

The martian starting gun is a stunning device called the Torquebow. It stuns on fire, and stops the target from succumbing (because some people would all like, fuck this) when melee attacked.

Quote:Rifle

Essentially the same as the above, but with an extended ammo hold, maybe about 15 shots? I dunno. Shooots a bigger looking beam, does maybe a bit more damage.

That sounds like the martian anti-sapiens rifle. It's armor piercing burst shot, but does the same damage as normal rounds as AP rounds do on a pistol would do. Cuffs the target on melee.

Quote:Mounted Cannon

The equivalent of an Emitter that doesn't need to be wrenched and shit; take it out of your bag (martians should have something that's not a bag like a nasty martian pouch or something) and slap it on the floor, then click it again to activate it like you would a meteor shield generator.

Would the mounted cannon target players or fire in one direction? Either-way, I've a weapon in mind called the Redeemer which is a carried cannon. It is essentially a grenade launcher, the disadvantage when using it that you are forced to a walk, and there isn't much ammo.

Quote:Martian Biopods

With pods now being A Thing, the martians should be able to get one; fly it over to the station, pile out and shoot dudes, chuck dead dudes inside, teleport home. Job done gg.

Go back to page 2, a pod has already been done and sprited wink
The only difference is that the pod is about one tile bigger all around than the singularity. It's a big-ass ship, it's the mothership. Take a read on what I have in mind.

Quote:The Claw

Martian melee weapon, works like the Chef's butcher knife without the thrown damage function or bleed; if you gib someone with it, however, it auto-converts them to biomass. Not as much as if you'd tossed them in the pool, though.

Again, this is a thing, but not exactly as you said it would. It's a serrated barb, it's worn as a glove which means it can't be disarmed, it does bleeding damage but nothing else, it's a last choice weapon when all your guns are wasted, or you are disarmed.

Quote:Martian Corpsebot

Works like a deployable guardbuddy; take it out of your bag and activate it, and if a human body is near, it drags them back to wherever the martians have set it to go. (definitely 100% not stolen from that Corpsebot suggestion thread)

Well with the martian mothership movable, it is your centre of base, so while this could be potentially useful, there's something called the reaper injector which does this:
An intricate device which upon injection can transport targets to a selected area, in the case for your mission: beside the biomass vat. Can also be used as an extraction device for fellow downed martians.
The only thing is that it can be only used once.

If you want to go back to page 2 and on the last post is pretty much the most of the things I have yet to do aside from what Mybluecorners suggested, if you see something that "well that sounds too strong" or "Here's a different function that it should do instead" that would be G.
Question, would Mob martians be peaceful with Player martians?
And, if so:
Martian Distress Beacon:
Would summon 3-4 Martian NPCs to aid you:
25% chance of soldier
25% chance of warrior
20% chance of engineer
20% chance of mutant
5% chance of (Insert potential Super Secret Martian Type here)
5% chance of Martian Trader, THE FRIENDLY MARTIAN (A dud for you, a win for the crew!)
I'mma going to get back to this project very very soon (my pm's are disabled for some strange reason), but to reply to xenonia;
There's no thing as Martian classes anymore, because I think that's a bit anti-fun and unnecessary. Instead, lets get people to make up their own classes with agent cards! Far more fun!
Something like this:
Martian #1: "Dibbs being pilot of this heap of shit" (The Martian becomes the Pilot)
Martian #2: "Well, I ain't going out to get killed, somebody has to look after maintaining this damn ship and the weaponry" (The Martian becomes the Technician)
Martian #3: "I'm going to make sure that every human we down gets to the mothership for biomass" (the Martian becomes the Hoarder)
Martian #4: "Fuck y'all, I'm buying a redeemer and blasting these humans to pieces" (The Martians becomes the Bombardier and then gets murdered by his fellow Martians for gibbing corpses, and then ironically turned to biomass)
... etc.. etc

I am thinking of critters you can spawn, one that's already an idea is Martian infants, which acts as a grenade and spawns little hell critters that bash people like Micromenn
Soldier and all that are NPC mobs. Those are their names. Not Martian classes/castes.
Sundance Wrote:one that's already an idea is Martian infants, which acts as a grenade and spawns little hell critters that bash people like Micromenn

I have this coded already, just missing some sprites that don't look terrible. It's a little egg grenade that you can throw and a few baby martians pop out and whip people.

Also, I think having classes might be good as a high-cost upgrade for martians that they can choose. Basically, they pay a ton of biomass so they can get a special power or two.
MEGA UPDATE (GOTTA DO THIS BEFORE I GET HAMMERED FOR PADDY'S DAY)

Right so I have listened to all your suggestions regarding the sprites, this is what you have asked for:
+Make them larger, regarding the charger
+Make them more organic, like game A/game B, or make them look like artifacts
+Use the original color pallette, Red for floor, pink for wall.

I have done all of this bar the last point, I am getting around to it, it shouldn't take too long.

First up, I am super excited to show you the update on the martian mothership. I've learned a bit of photoshop, and it really goes a long way. It currently doesn't animate, I'm getting around to that, but it looks FAR more ominous and threatening

[Image: QKdRp9V.png]

I'll also sprite a damage overlay, cracked glass and fire and all that.

Next up, I made the charger bigger like mybluecorners suggested. I've made it look more organic too, it now looks like a critter. Due to it looking stupid on the original table, I've done a new table so it now spans over two tiles. Oh and new booze. Oh and the mechanic suture that spawns on the right table. To know what it does, skip back to the last post on page 2. (To know what each of the weapons do, go back to page 2 too)
[Image: LA9SuKk.png]
[Image: P2oycV2.png]
[Image: 0tu2Yba.png]
[Image: gLLlMRe.png]
[Image: DNyuXdO.png]
[Image: Cxg1yMn.png]
[Image: OLsz8kV.png]
[Image: Myk7qgR.png]
[Image: XBnNkNW.png]
[Image: Ckf9JxO.png]
[Image: eoiLIG9.png]
[Image: 3D7aIuD.png]
[Image: lymV73k.png]
[Image: bGl5MHf.png]
[Image: RYpmEm1.png]
[Image: f01xQjP.png]
[Image: fQy7BJg.png]
Next up, is the new weapons. The torquebow now has the fleshy overlay on it, along with insect-like wings at the back. I like the way when you use certain artifacts, they activate on touch and make a cool noise and colors. All the martian guns do this now, with inactive modes and active modes (when picked up)
It also shows you how many shots you have left, like a taser would.

Inactive
[Image: EH7cJtz.png]
Active
[Image: oPjU9mP.png]
[Image: jcdr928.png]
[Image: g5KDX7t.png]
[Image: XgmyfKR.png]
[Image: l0Kc8kN.png]
(Sprites for shots are back a few pages, it's one of the first things I did)

I've gone and resprited the pulse-rifle in the same fashion as the torquebow. It's active mode is changing color, and it has different color tip for different mode (again look back on last post on page 2)

Inactive 1
[Image: n94ddX5.png]
Active 1
[Image: RjJaqGD.png]
[Image: iAfe1aM.png]
[Image: opdCJHF.png]
[Image: 55d9rJO.png]
[Image: 8iOAg03.png]
Inactive 2
[Image: ETZvAce.png]
Active 2
[Image: 7i5DxIi.png]
[Image: nCAnc7w.png]
[Image: VuNqNB5.png]
[Image: SkmlHvG.png]
[Image: cktG6zN.png]
Shots
[Image: jnj58BU.png]
[Image: oxvDZfe.png]
[Image: xd7KVvW.png]
[Image: RtwXh1P.png]
Meet the anti-sapien rifle. I've incorperated parts of the gun into what was suggested. It's also translucent, and has a neat active mode (albeit lots of frames) and shows you when it's empty (no egg).
Full inactive
[Image: Tt0X86R.png]
Full active
[Image: IEIVoTx.png]
[Image: RCnv4Qp.png]
[Image: fcJK157.png]
[Image: WJpEcyg.png]
[Image: rBp3Jp0.png]
[Image: CYRRd6X.png]
[Image: dWSX3oh.png]
[Image: pxwPUqI.png]
Empty inactive
[Image: bqvBOQT.png]
Empty active
[Image: XfXGuxI.png]
[Image: wACWI10.png]
[Image: ot72xdm.png]
[Image: 2xvhpnr.png]
[Image: gclQu7q.png]
[Image: VYYdIYS.png]
[Image: O03Uyj4.png]
[Image: O0zQbye.png]
Shots
[Image: fiCvlPt.gif]
[Image: Rp83Yx1.png]
[Image: j4iYIRT.png]
[Image: 2Jut6YW.gif]
This is the Redeemer. I've gone full organic on this one. This is the kind of weapon if someone sees you with it you want to run a mile away. It shows how many shots you have left (currently 3 shots per charge)
Inactive
[Image: Sn04AgE.png]
Active
[Image: MHY2JYh.png]
[Image: rnDbDHn.png]
[Image: 9Tz4nCS.png]
[Image: 7zhey4F.png]
(shots have yet to be sprited)

So that's it really for now. I'm about 66% through this project, 50% was spriting that labour of love mothership. It was a real pain in the ass that one haha
What needs to be done next is:
+Damage overlay
+Learning how to make .gifs so I don't have a thousand sprites on the forums (or wiki if it gets that far!!)
+Respriting certain interior so it looks blends in with the red floor.
+Bit's here and there, tools etc.
+Armor
+Inhand sprites (this applies to both weapons and armor)
The last two points would be done much easier if my damn PM's on this forums were working (long story short they are not, and I don't know why)
In the meantime if someone could post the actual martian player sprites, that would be extremely helpful in me spriting both the armor and in-hand.
Otherwise, keep the suggestions up, I do act on them for the most part!
holy hell these are all great
I've had a good look over the page 2 ideas you had sundance; one thing that caught my eye was how pretty much everything had a secondary function.

- helmet with built in thermal
- insulated gloves with melee capability
- sunglass-meson visors

I don't think these are a great combo to allow. Martians are already pretty goddamn effective from the get go; they have a mobile revival system and free knockout-tasers, and all they gotta do to start their rampage is arrive and grab someone. With things like stun-reducing armour and thermal vision clothing, they'll just be way too OP if they get anywhere near their gathering goals.

One simple fix could be that these objects cost a tonne; however, I've had another idea that might be more fun: technology stealing.

Toss a pair of thermals into the bio-pool, they get absorbed as Tech and can be combined with specific items; slap them in your helmet! Why not chuck the Janitor's cleaner grenades in, and see how your new martian eggs work when they slip their opponents! Or maybe throw a chainsaw in, and give yourself freaky alien chainsaw gloves! etc.

I don't want the martians to end up as ungodly invincible murder-masters like T.U.R.D.S occasionally were. They should be like the Syndies; yes, they're outnumbered, and yes, they've only got a small amount of equipment, but it's how you use it; scavenging can make you more effective. If the martians get easy-access to insulated melee weapons and thermals, they'll be way too unstoppable.
I was under the presumption that there would be weapon drops for the crew to give them a fighting chance.
What sort of drops? Like that supposed Chinese Takeaway pod thing, or like a random QM crate with lasers?
I think it would be like the weapon drops during zombies attacks and disaster mode. A bunch of weapons and tools spawning in certain parts of the station
It's still WIP and it's great to have these idea's throwing around.
From my perspective martians have alot going against them. Remember, they are clearly alien, so the AI would be subjective to attack on sight, as is the borgs. They have stunning gun, and the melee device on it only stops the player from succumbing, thus keeping the body "fresh"
Don't forget, that one of the mission fail is that if the mothership explodes. It ain't invincible, and if this ever gets implemented, expect dramatic pods fights.
Another idea, which I think you would like, is that the martians cannot interact with human devices, from a taser to a screwdriver. It's essentially a whitelist on everything bar their own technology, thus making their own items very important, such as the melee glove to prevent shocking, and their own RCD for deconstructing, since they cannot use the humans one.
On the flipside to this, humans can't use martian technology. As is human bodies valuable to martians for biomass, martian bodies are valuable for reverse engineering. Think about it, you capture a martian corpse, use their SE on security so now they become buffed with martian guns. It will be brilliant
Ah well that sounds a lot less murder-rampage-aliens now. I still like the idea of tech-stealing though; both sides should have the ability to do it. Sure, give the HoS a Martian genome. But maybe the martians have taken his ID, and replicated the ID chip to give themselves biological all-access? I dunno.
Update: interior about 80% done.
Here's the new biomass
[Image: r5HDvj3.png]
[Image: dqOdF2Q.png]
[Image: 7TkmWpX.png]
+ Adjacent wires
[Image: oOMTPZI.png]
[Image: 8m1ljDI.png]
Main computer (the pod control, pilot control, w/e you want to call it)
[Image: yxk98VJ.png]
[Image: EPwHjzc.gif]
Here's the interior concept, about 80% complete as I said, it's missing one or two things but otherwise this is the general feel of the interior base the martians occupy.
[Image: OSB03UI.png]