Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Martian Spriting Dump
Martian pulse rifle
Covenant from Halo was the main inspiration.
[Image: z6VWVZ0.png]
[Image: sjJhLky.png]
[Image: SDgZI0x.png]
Don't think their should be different sprites for the higher/lower freq setting, but perhaps a different sound, like a high humming noise for high freq, a low humming noise for low.
Honestly, the Martian weapons need to look more organic. Maybe like the weapons tyarnids use in warhammer 40k?
I think we should look at the weapons used in the N64 game Perfect Dark; they're smooth and the animations are almost organic. They reload by absorbing what looks like an egg into the side of the gun! That's the sort of gun I figure martians would use; just recolour them to suit, and it'll be fine.

[Image: b5g7v4h]
Yeah, I haven't been able to sprite much lately because my laptop is bunched, which has the software and all of my other stuff, so this project ain't dead, just halted for a little bit until I get around to getting it fixed.

Also, this is very much work in progress, I may go back and resprite various things like I did with my torquebow.
Currently I'm pretty happy with the torquebow, it's a bow and it looks pretty alien, insect like, which I was going for.
The pulse rifle I will probably make it more organic looking, perhaps with pointy parts looking more like jagged teeth, with a fleshier shell.
There's two other weapons, the antisapien rifle and redeemer I've sketched already, but like I said they're not the final work. The antisapien rifle currently resembles the railgun in District 9, funnily enough I gave it a smooth blue and purple shell which seems very like FarSight from perfect dark, but not quite.
The Redeemer is more leaning towards what epicdwarf suggested, it's bulky and heavy looking, resembling a shell with a maw in which the projectiles fire out of. It's color is similar to the torquebow, brown and red.
You see, there's many ways of making something look organic, nature itself is pretty diverse.

The martian clothing, I've some really neat idea's. The helmet looks like a glassy brain like mojojo from powerpuff girls (inspiration from everywhere, ya dig?), while the armor looks like a black carapace with a glowing yellow stripe down the front. The backpack is the same color as the martian flesh, so it looks like they are pulling guns from their body.
Martian weapon sprites kinda exist already, they're in the handheld artifact stuff. I'd suggest using those as the basis.
Cogwerks Wrote:Martian weapon sprites kinda exist already, they're in the handheld artifact stuff. I'd suggest using those as the basis.

The martian handheld artifacts range from seeds to guns, and I feel that they have a certain aspect of ambiguity about them (it even says in the description "You have no idea what this is!") because they are meant to look very mysterious and I feel as artifacts they serve their purpose
Color scheme wise, I am using purple/pink hues as it is, venturing into brown/reds in the odd occasion.
The Pulse rifle, when I get my damn laptop fixed, I will sprite with the "shell" around it a more pinky shiny color, very much similar to the artifacts in mind.
Martians should be able to activate any artifact by touching it. As they created them and want them back.
bladex454 Wrote:Martians should be able to activate any artifact by touching it. As they created them and want them back.
This would be cool for Martian artifacts at least...maybe even give them the ability to steal martian artifacts from the station to use against it?
BlackPhoenix Wrote:This would be cool for Martian artifacts at least...maybe even give them the ability to steal martian artifacts from the station to use against it?

Please make sure that Martians know what the artifacts do so we dont end up with a squad of aliens accidentally suicide-bombing the station
Perhaps a little icon should show up next to artifacts, giving the martian an idea of what the artifact does.

e.g a little glowy ball over artifacts that generate a forcefield, a vague image of a teleporter for artifacts that randomly teleport, a lightning bolt for artifacts that fire electrical charges, etc. Basically a simplified hud that instantly explains the artifacts use.
This could be a thing, but what there's no martian artifacts on board during a martian mode round?
And what if there is martian artifacts and people decide "oh fuck possible martian mode, lets space these artifacts because fuck you martians"
I like the idea though.
Don't make it work for just martian ones, just have it work for any artifact. They're all knowing evil bastards, they can figure out how to turn on whatever.
Sundance Wrote:This could be a thing, but what there's no martian artifacts on board during a martian mode round?
And what if there is martian artifacts and people decide "oh fuck possible martian mode, lets space these artifacts because fuck you martians"
I like the idea though.
As to your first concern, the idea isn't to make "Activate the artifact" a priority of the martians. It's just a neat side thing they could do.

As to your second, people could also say "Oh fuck possible bomb traitors, space all bomb making supplies and lock down toxins". We don't because we aren't shit.
BlackPhoenix Wrote:As to your first concern, the idea isn't to make "Activate the artifact" a priority of the martians. It's just a neat side thing they could do.

As to your second, people could also say "Oh fuck possible bomb traitors, space all bomb making supplies and lock down toxins". We don't because we aren't shit.

Well, ok.
Well how about this idea?
The artefacts have a secondary degree function to the martains, the first degree being the normal function that we the humans use. This secondary degree function would be like an emp bomb, nuke, or perhaps a battery to fuel more biomass so they can manufacture more weapons.
Like Weavel said, they know the artifacts true potential
Weavel Wrote:Don't make it work for just martian ones, just have it work for any artifact. They're all knowing evil bastards, they can figure out how to turn on whatever.
Update on the artifact idea;
When I get back to this project, it won't be long, my laptops fixed now just looking for some free time, I might sprite a martian key. When you use the key on a large artifact, it'll activate it's second function. Each class will have a different secondary function, so like wizard will be like an emp because they're technophobes and all that, while martian large artifacts can be used as biomass reservoir tanks. I completely forget the name of the class of the purple ones, y'know the dangerous ones, the key used on them would be a very strong bomb. Lot's of idea's, throw them my way for the robot and other ones.
This way the martians can still activate it's primary function just on touch, whilst keeping the secondary function restricted to the key. I suppose that'd be much easier to code. The key would just really work as a scanner, and thus activating once the class is detected and deleting the artifact.
Perhaps a martian key hidden somewhere in a z-level? Potential traitor miner fun.