Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Martian Spriting Dump
Small update.
Resprited the mini-torque so now it's smaller and more slimline
[Image: Qw20b.png]
Finally got my head around designing the ship, the engine section is complete.
[Image: 8PZZQ.png]
Just an update, I have the stasis pod done now. It can heal people who are alive, and revive the dead at a cost of 50 biomass currently.

I'll probably be able to do the birthing polyp, now that you sprited a weapon that it can spawn. If you could find a better quality version of that sound effect, that would be good. Maybe download an episode of the show? Idunno.
fyi those purple blocks I sprited months ago are supposed to be walls, not floors Some kind of zombie chewing tobacco and crying I g

Floors: [Image: IKEda.gif] [Image: rVWcp.gif]

Wall: [Image: AyLol.gif]

Corners and edge accents:
[Image: dCLzl.gif] [Image: wMgLy.gif]
[Image: kKLIQ.gif] [Image: Xk1vs.gif]

[Image: JryYH.gif] [Image: Q5Js2.gif] [Image: 2ZQy8.gif] [Image: GP7aU.gif]
Cogwerks Wrote:fyi those purple blocks I sprited months ago are supposed to be walls, not floors Some kind of zombie chewing tobacco and crying I g

I was going to mention that but I didn't want to bust his balls. Way to bust his balls, Cogs.
Cogwerks Wrote:fyi those purple blocks I sprited months ago are supposed to be walls, not floors Some kind of zombie chewing tobacco and crying I g

Sundance Wrote:I'm aware that I've use a wall sprite for the flooring, I'm going to use a different sprite for the walls of the spaceship, something different.

They totally look squishy enough to be walked on. I'm designing a vieny wall tile similar to the floor tile (that was meant to be a wall tile :mrgreen: ) that's full on viens, darker purpler color than the floor
Oh and while I'm at it, here's the update on the martian spaceship
Ooh shiny
[Image: L8wQt.png]
Oh god this is glorious, something cool is actually getting done, kudos to you Sundance.
I have the birthing polyp functional. I'll do the mini-torquebow next!

After talking with drsingh/magicmountain, I think he might be doing the code for the setup/progression/end conditions of the actual game mode.

Some things from mollymillions' thread that I think are cool and you should try your hand at spriting:

MollyMillions Wrote:[*]Martian Helmet (10): Makes you look cool. Also offers some protection from attacks.

[*]Tentacle Barb (20): A vicious melee weapon worn like a bracelet on one tentacle. Only martians can use this effectively, for obvious reasons.

[*]Egg Sac (10): When used, this hatches a couple of baby martians who run around fuckin shit up.

I think the martian helmet/tentacle barb were thought up with the martian sprite that we already have in mind. The tentacle barb, in my opinion, should be a glove-slot weapon so you can't drop it. (seeing as how martians have very little storage space) Also, mini-martians would be pretty fun.
MyBlueCorners Wrote:I have the birthing polyp functional. I'll do the mini-torquebow next!

After talking with drsingh/magicmountain, I think he might be doing the code for the setup/progression/end conditions of the actual game mode.

Some things from mollymillions' thread that I think are cool and you should try your hand at spriting:

MollyMillions Wrote:[*]Martian Helmet (10): Makes you look cool. Also offers some protection from attacks.

[*]Tentacle Barb (20): A vicious melee weapon worn like a bracelet on one tentacle. Only martians can use this effectively, for obvious reasons.

[*]Egg Sac (10): When used, this hatches a couple of baby martians who run around fuckin shit up.

I think the martian helmet/tentacle barb were thought up with the martian sprite that we already have in mind. The tentacle barb, in my opinion, should be a glove-slot weapon so you can't drop it. (seeing as how martians have very little storage space) Also, mini-martians would be pretty fun.

Neat I'll design martian clothing like you mention there, shouldn't be too hard.
I do need however, the original martian player sprite, so I can design a helmet that actually fits.
Was this what you guys meant by a martian helmet or did I take it way too literally?

[Image: WDVEv_zps33e2a153.png]
Azungar Wrote:Was this what you guys meant by a martian helmet or did I take it way too literally?

[Image: WDVEv_zps33e2a153.png]

A fine helmet, although one thing to remember is that everything the martians use is bio-technology, so they wouldn't really have anything made out of metal and stuff.
I have the mini-torquebow and rechargers done.

About the torquebow:

I figure that martians, at most, will only have two pockets worth of storage space. While I like the idea of the Reaper Injector, I don't know if it will be a good idea to start them out with two things they will almost always want to carry around, because at that point they will already have no more room except for their hands.

So what I did was make the torquebow have a 'bite' melee attack that stuns the victim and prevents them from 'succumb'-ing for about 60 seconds. To compensate for the melee attack being so good (with its unlimited uses), I reduced the max charge on the torquebow from 4 to 3 shots. Thoughts?
(also, I got a nice 'twang' sound effect)

About the recharger:

I think the sprite might need to be a little bit bigger. It's a little hard to tell what it is doing without looking closely.

If you'd like to see any of this in action, you can find me on the irc or something, and I can host a temporary server.
Wooh finally back, and finally finished the martian mothership!
[Image: scMka.gif]
The .gif image is buggy because I made it online, and it's also twice as slow as I'd like it to be, but I'm working on it.
[Image: ucFLT.png]
[Image: DcM6f.png]
[Image: ZxVQR.png]
[Image: MYH8S.png]
[Image: 75wmq.png]
[Image: UQ7dr.png]
[Image: 7zBdI.png]
[Image: 3hSXj.png]
[Image: I0JUr.png]
[Image: uu5yq.png]
[Image: pIF4K.png]
I'm not too sure how it looks in game yet, and I'm not too sure wether the green glassy section of the ship is too much green and might need something to make it more "glassier" like a sheen effect or something.
I'm also going to sprite a damaged looking ship, Hull integrity at 75%,50%,25%.

MyBlueCorners Wrote:I have the mini-torquebow and rechargers done.

About the torquebow:

3 shots sound is a big hit and miss, so perhaps to compensate that the firing sprite is extremely quick, like much faster than a taser?
In regards to the reaper injector, I was thinking that it could be good if worked as some sort of probe (butt probe heh) so that when you inject it with someone, that you can use it to spy on that player, listen to his chatter, something tactical like injecting the captain/hos and letting him go instead of using them for biomass, so you could be one step ahead?

MyBlueCorners Wrote:About the recharger:

I think the sprite might need to be a little bit bigger. It's a little hard to tell what it is doing without looking closely.

If you'd like to see any of this in action, you can find me on the irc or something, and I can host a temporary server.

Yeah, I was thinking it was a bit too small, I'll try resprite it maybe after I check it out in game, so hosting that temp server would be a good idea.

Also some people were asking me how exactly the interior/exterior thingy works, so let me explain:
[Image: QlvP5.png]
The exterior pod is what is moving around, the big X is where you can enter the ship and warp over to the X at the interior of the pod (which is on a different z-level), same for exiting but visa versa.
The computers 1,2 and 3 all have different functions and can only be used by the martians.
Computer 1 controls the attachments of the ship. For example if you get a bomb attachment for the ship, clicking the attachment to this computer will upgrade the exterior of the ship, and will appear in the pod tab.
Computer 2 controls the actual exterior of the ship. This is kinda makes you into camera mode, where you can move the ship around and fire, etc. You can exit the camera mode and controlling the ship by an "exit pilot" in the pod tab.
Computer 3 controls the door. If switched on, anything can enter/exit once they stand on the X. By switching off, it shuts the teleportation to the interior, so essentially locks everything out.
Sundance Wrote:In regards to the reaper injector, I was thinking that it could be good if worked as some sort of probe (butt probe heh) so that when you inject it with someone, that you can use it to spy on that player, listen to his chatter, something tactical like injecting the captain/hos and letting him go instead of using them for biomass, so you could be one step ahead?

Maybe the reaper injector/probe could be made into a high-cost item that basically makes a mindslave out of whoever you inject and temporarily gives them access to the martian 'radio'? Maybe it only works for like, 10 minutes or something. Although the idea of using a probe for reconnaissance is cool, I don't know if anyone playing martian would rather observe someone with a camera-monitor type item than go out and fight.

Also, I've done most of the code for the tentacle spikes, egg sacs, and (an item of my own choosing) bio-mister(complete with really dumb placeholder sprites!).

The bio-mister is an item that holds two charges, and when squeezed, it makes a smoke cloud that severely slows down any humans that it catches. That combined with the fact that smoke blocks the line of sight could make it a great tool for martians; they could use it to get an edge during a fight, prevent humans from fleeing, or to make a quick escape.

Quote:Yeah, I was thinking it was a bit too small, I'll try resprite it maybe after I check it out in game, so hosting that temp server would be a good idea.

yep, just get on the IRC and if i'm online, PM me.
Less of a spriting, and more of a list of things to expect after I'm finished my dang summer exams

ALERT: TEXT EVERYWHERE
So I've been going over a list of things that is going to go into the polyp, I've assorted it into Weaponry, Clothing and Tools. I haven't decided the costs of each yet.

Weaponry
Torquebow: (Available on spawn) Has arrows containing a paralysis emulsion which can be rapidly shot. The limbs of the bow are also imbued in this liquid along with a poison that puts the target in statis. 3 arrows per charge.

Pulsecannon: A resonance weapon of higher and lower frequency. Lower frequency causes the target to be deafened and slowed whilst suffering minor damage. Higher frequency short circuits cyborgs and mechanical beings, impairing them severely. 15 shots per charge; lower frequency costs 2, higher costs 3.

Antisapien rifle: The martian assault rifle. Burst fires armor piercing organic projectiles that ricochet within the target causing bleeding damage. Has a secondary function upon close quarters in which the rifle can stamp a sticky residue upon the targets limbs, binding them. 10 burst shots per charge.

Redeemer: A heavy sophisticated weapon capable of firing a volatile embryo that explodes on contact, potentially rupturing downed targets. For use against fast moving humans and crowd control. 4 shots per charge.

Egg sac: Upon detonation, it spawns several infant martians that have been bred for nothing else but war. Spawns 5 infant martians

Leviathan: A evil creature that finds pleasure feeding off the fear from mortals. Known to stalk beings until they reach insanity. Its full powers are unknown, but martians records have observed it being able to move through walls, inflicting space madness upon touch, and its screeching causes a scathing dread.

Clothing
Compact Backpack: (Available on spawn) A versatile backpack designed to fit the contours of the martian body.

Exoskeleton: A bio-engineered exoskeleton that can withstand heavy impacts from either projectiles or melee weapons, defending the essential organs. The skeleton while still vulnerable to stunning, can augment martian internal systems, reducing paralysis time up to a half.

Martian Helmet: A brawny helmet when used in conjunction with the exoskeleton is the complete uniform in martian soldiers. This helmet features built-in thermographic imagery.

Serrated Barb: A vicious barb that tears through human flesh with ease. Worn as a glove, this weapon can be used as a backup if disarmed, but also can ground electrical shocks like an insulator.

Tinted Visors: Advanced technology allows the wearer of these visors to be invulnerable to disorientating flashes, and act as reversed engineered meson scanners

Tools

Mechanic suture: (Available on spawn) A handheld device which can repair hull damage on the mothership. The mothership must remain still once repair is undergoing, and can only be done outside, leaving the ship and the repairer vulnerable to attack.

Void device: Stolen technology from the coveted void research centre. Can deconstruct walls and doors with ease, but martian scientists have yet to discover how such a device can construct.

Void Cartridge: Munition for the Void device

Reaper injector: An intricate device which upon injection can transport targets to a selected area, in the case for your mission: beside the biomass vat. Can also be used as an extraction device for fellow downed martians.

Hollow implant: Implanted humans will be become willing mind slaves to the martian cause and can also speak telepathically, but their chatter will be unknown to their fellow sapiens. Tests subjects are known to have a short life, their mental health will rapidly deteriorate as will their internal organs.

Laser Attachment: Upgrades the mothership lasers so that they can do more damage against structures such as pods

Thermal Attachment: Allows the pilot of the mothership to spy beyond enemy walls.

Tracker Attachment: Deploys semi-intellegent globules that will chase a human target once it is space, absorbing the target and rendering paralyzed if caught.

Defense Attachment: The mothership will now take less damage from blasts and projectiles.

Bombard Attachment: Installs a large rocket launcher that can fire enhanced redeemer projectiles. Slow recharge.

So yeah alot of work to be done, hah. It'll take a while, but it shouldn't be too difficult to sprite all of these, like most of the shit will only have one sprite per item, the only ones needing any animation would be the simple projectiles from the weapons. I'm also am hoping that when people play as martians, they assign themselves tactically, so like one martian will be a pilot, another be an engineer repairing hull damage, manufacture and regulating biomass, another be a scout searching for lone humans, etc.
I've also added in a bit of plot, like the void research centre, if anyone remembers the martian ship at donut. Also a cthulhu based mob, because somebody suggested it and I thought "why not?".
Also, MyBlueCorners, I've revised the Reaper injector so now instead it works similar to the port-a-brig. I'll add your personal idea into the weapon section, perhaps your weapon would work better as a grenade?