Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Money/Economy/QM Thread
i had a job idea for basically a Shopkeeper who'd basically be the "crew's QM", i even had a big post typed up once (with a diagram) but i forgot to log in and it didn't post

basically it'd be a job where they order small, useful, singular objects (like insulated gloves or toolboxes) and try to sell to the crew at a reasonable enough price to make a profit

i don't know how to code so if this is impossible put a gun in my mouth and pull the trigger but basically they'd "display" a picture of an item and then people could swipe their card to purchase the item, or the Shopkeeper could order a crate of whatever is being sold and just put it there and hope no one tries to steal it

basically this job would be good for
  • getting people smaller-scale stuff
  • giving gangs a place to do hold-ups and to extort protection money from
  • make money actually useful, since crewmen can buy this stuff with their wages
And by QM plant I clearly mean an addition to botany.
I know there's some kind of mineral miners can get that makes fabric, but that seems slightly ridiculous considering it's not even the most useful mineral, except when you need a breath mask or clothes.

There's not a whole lot of reason to use it unless there's some secret recipe involving fabric that I'm unaware of.
I just want the jumpsuit dyers back.
icarus Wrote:i had a job idea for basically a Shopkeeper who'd basically be the "crew's QM", i even had a big post typed up once (with a diagram) but i forgot to log in and it didn't post[...]

Most of that looks like it should be part of the QM:s job. Or an assistant gimmick, for the small-scale stuff.
Cogwerks Wrote:Nanotrasen doesn't exist.

This is treasonous talk
I just mean "blame nanotrasen" isn't a good answer for game exploits that are being discussed in the suggestion board.
Well yeah of course
Cogwerks Wrote:I just mean "blame nanotrasen" isn't a good answer for game exploits that are being discussed in the suggestion board.

i was doing the opposite and using it to demonstrate why spontaneously generating cash is fucking dumb, but yes. also realized that BlackPhoenix pretty much agreed anyways and i was being dumb and belligerent for no reason! i'm a butt!
I think what I was saying in my first post got lost in the argument on selling ore.

1) Wages should be increased so that a single person or two can afford to buy a 1000$ crate rather early in the game.

2) Money spent at the QM should be returned to the station budget - not immediately, but at certain intervals like wages are paid. Maybe not all the money, but just a (sizable) portion.
We would have a circular economy: wages > purchase at the QM > Centcom > station budget > payroll budget (if the hop isn't lost/dead) > wages.

The QM would sustain itself on employee money. Additionally the hop could provide more cash, or miners send ores. Or any other mechanism that would be implemented.
Clarks Wrote:I think what I was saying in my first post got lost in the argument on selling ore.

1) Wages should be increased so that a single person or two can afford to buy a 1000$ crate rather early in the game.

2) Money spent at the QM should be returned to the station budget - not immediately, but at certain intervals like wages are paid. Maybe not all the money, but just a (sizable) portion.
We would have a circular economy: wages > purchase at the QM > Centcom > station budget > payroll budget (if the hop isn't lost/dead) > wages.

The QM would sustain itself on employee money. Additionally the hop could provide more cash, or miners send ores. Or any other mechanism that would be implemented.
Are you suggesting the QM should rely entirely on employee money or only partially? Because having the QM rely entirely on other players bothering to buy things from them EVERY ROUND doesn't sound viable.
The QM would still have its budget, for emergencies and whatnot.

But the main way for the crew to purchase equipment would be using their own wages.
Clarks Wrote:I think what I was saying in my first post got lost in the argument on selling ore.

HoP Joe: "QM, start buying shit you jackass the traitor stole our money"

I'm all for this idea.
It'd be a nice bonus, but this would be terrible as the main source of income for the QM, mainly because they would rely entirely on the crew actually wanting to do the Discount Dan's challenge while smoking five packs of pro-puffs.

What if we switch things around? How about instead of raw ore selling for more than the refined product, we require the QM to buy mauxite, then convert it into sheet metal to sell? This has the "un"intended benefit of making it easier to deal with and sell large amounts of cable as well.
david2222121 Wrote:What if we switch things around? How about instead of raw ore selling for more than the refined product, we require the QM to buy mauxite, then convert it into sheet metal to sell? This has the "un"intended benefit of making it easier to deal with and sell large amounts of cable as well.
This makes sense and is a good idea.