Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Money/Economy/QM Thread
I'm all on board for revamping the QM market. I've been able to generate about 100k in credits whenever metal sheets are in high demand.

Perhaps we could retool the merchant offers as well? As it stands, they are generally just not worth the bother. We get one offer five minutes into the round asking for 10 corpses, and in exchange they'll give us 200 credits. After declining this, we never get another offer ever and spend the round selling Centcom its own metal. It'd be nice if we got more offers from Gragg(Especially once mining get's a bigger role with the new engine), and maybe some more offers trying to sell us new, cool stuff. I know that lizard fellow sometimes offers to sell us batteries and "Camera viewing equipment". That and the shrouded guy occasionally sells miracle matter. Make the offers come more often and a bit more interesting and they might be taken up more often.
Cogwerks Wrote:(Lots of text)

I support this. Would make playing Quartermaster much more fun.
I't's very easy to generate half a million credits in a normal round with the current system.

And like David said, the merchants just don't offer enough.

SUPER OFFER: 100 credits for every brain delivered will not help me.
I was thinking instead of having market shifts just make the specials on certain hard-to-get items set all round. One round the QM may spend trying to sweet talk CE to give him the RCD to sell for 15000. The next maybe have it be the captains hat, or a set of Thermals, etc.

Or maybe just a randomly generated list of junk that you'll only get paid on, sending the QM on a quest to get all blue jumpsuits, or left robot arms, CO2 Cannisters, etc.
making the QM have to hedge their bets to better exploit the market would be cool. I'm also really glad that the shuttle is gone and the QM no longer has to wait around for stuff to arrive, that was just tedious.

When more vending machines are implemented, giving the QM the power to unlock them to stock them/tweak the prices would also be neat, and give them a reason to leave their little fortress now and then.
Cogwerks Wrote:words

I think all of cogwerks ideas are good, but perhaps a random event involving a rapid drop of prices (e.g a going out of business sale) should occur, so that the station has the chance to occasionally buy extremely low and make a profit.
Cogwerks Wrote:Ore should not be worth more than metal, and the sell prices shouldn't be higher than the buying prices.
While I'm sure it's reasonable to say that ore with the potential of being smelted down and cast into any shape could be worth more than metal which would return a portion as slag when melted and can only otherwise be used to make specific things, especially since it has been cheaply processed by CentCom into the shit they used on Space Station 13. Sell prices being higher than buying prices can be easily explained as you finding an advantage in the market based on one company, the one you sell to, not knowing the current buying price. Instead of informing them and ruining your deal, you make loads of cash on them.
Now, if that fluctuated so that sometimes it was possible to buy low and sell high but then they start to move towards or over the buying price, that'd be cool. I think maybe if it were possible to make it so the selling price follows behind the buying price, not too slowly but not too quickly. If the buying price takes a sudden and dramatic drop, you still have a few minutes to quickly buy low and sell high. If suddenly it jumps to new heights, the selling price sadly lags behind and causes that product to cease being viable as a money maker. That would force quartermasters to change what they're buying and selling and seriously play the money making game.
BlackPhoenix Wrote:
Cogwerks Wrote:Ore should not be worth more than metal, and the sell prices shouldn't be higher than the buying prices.
While I'm sure it's reasonable to say that ore with the potential of being smelted down and cast into any shape could be worth more than metal which would return a portion as slag when melted and can only otherwise be used to make specific things,

if NanoTrasen would go through the trouble of outfitting a station with magic machines that can turn worthless metal into valuable ore, why would they not give their broader shipping division the same technology?

i guess my real point is: in what way is making something from nothing not shoe-on-ass stupid? because that's literally what happens.
FrontlineAcrobat4 Wrote:Giving the crew more money would be nice, too bad Centcom is cheap enough not to give us a crew worthy of the pay raise.
You act like Centcom doesn't pay their employees in company scrip.
Late joiners should arrive as packages in the quartermaster office.
Nightgunner5 Wrote:Late joiners should arrive as packages in the quartermaster office.

If that happens then no one will ever open the blast doors.
Nightgunner5 Wrote:Late joiners should arrive as packages in the quartermaster office.
All of my this
Nanotrasen doesn't exist, i don't give a damn what the impromtpu excuse is for crates of metal generating tons of cash when shoved two tiles over into the sell lane. It isn't a feature, it's an exploited coding overthought that should be addressed.
I always figured nanotrasen was the corporation that owns the station, and centcom was the branch of corporate overlords (e.g the admins) that interfere with the daily lives of the crew and make announcements and demands.

Maybe Goons isn't RP enough for a corporate hierarchy, but it would be nice to have some kind of backstory. Maybe even some dusty paper in captains office or something.

Anyway, I'll still miss ghost riding the QM shuttle to the centcom zlevel when I'm a dead assistant with nothing better to do.

Also why not add fabric spools to the list of things you could buy from QM, throw them in the GM and you have a couple basic uniforms, or some chemical bandages you can slap people with. The station has things that use fabric but no easy way besides bedsheets to actually get fabric.
Implement space cotton as a QM plant.