Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Locked door exploit
You can shove AI shells, borgs, and people into doors to open them when you otherwise wouldn't normally have access.
Not so much an exploit of doors as it is an exploit of people, grabbing that guy while he is thinking things over and shoving him against the ID reader.
Doors open when people with access to them walk into them.
Pushing people into a door counts as them walking into them.

This isn't a bug
Wizard golems do this too last time I checked.
This isn't a bug?????????????????????
Not a bug.
Zadeon Wrote:Wizard golems do this too last time I checked.

So do Anima-Living Objects
I, too, think that I should be able to get into anywhere I want just because I spent three seconds to grab an AI shell out of robotics.
Someone lugging an AI shell around and shoving it into doors is incredibly obvious and can be stopped with a modicum of effort if anyone wants to stop them.
Being able to grab someone and smack them into a door to open it is intended and kind of useful. You don't have to go through the hassle of stealing someone's ID, you don't have to barter or bribe your way through somewhere, and you don't have to stand and beg the AI to fix you up when you can just grab the geneticist who just cloned you, apologise to him, and then slam him into an airlock to get out and go back to not working.

And that example is kind of silly and I can't really think of a benefit to it that doesn't exist elsewhere.

Firstly, yes people will steal anything not nailed down, but who is going to drag an AI shell around when they need a door opening? Honestly, it's easy as hell to go anywhere you want, really. Get some tools, make your way through a single wall (there is at least one perfect spot for this, which I abuse often), grab some insulated gloves, and then spend a couple of minutes pulsing an errant door's wires. With that done, you can now open any door on the station.

Secondly, hauling an AI shell around is not exactly subtle. Getting access to Robotics might not be a huge ordeal, but you're now dragging an inactive AI shell around. People will notice the AI, some people even like the AI, and even among all the dumb things that happen, someone pushing their way around the station with an AI shell is odd. People like odd things. I can see people asking questions, calling over the radio, crowding around to figure out whether you're performing some kind of interesting and potentially fatal experiment, security taking an interest... It's easier and less likely to attract attention if you unbuild walls and hack doors.

Thirdly, where are you going to go with it? Engineering? Enjoy dying in the ball of fire that is the Engine. QM? Someone probably broke into QM already and is screwing up their weed farm. Science? Science is fairly busy, with chemists and artefact research and so on. If you're trying to get into Telescience, let's face it, you'd get into Telescience anyway. Head further north? Okay, someone has stolen your AI shell and now wants to see if they can deep-fry it. EVA is ransacked. And so on. Everywhere on the station, except perhaps Security during the more normal rounds, is rife with idiots dismantling their way to glory. Which is much easier than pushing an AI around, and gets less attention than pushing an AI around, because everyone is used to seeing somebody using an air tank to break into EVA five minutes into the round just so they can steal the metal foam grenades and throw them on the escape shuttle.

Oh, and this sort of behaviour is not a game mechanic issue. This is a player/community attitude issue. It's technically a crime to have shit you shouldn't have and be places you shouldn't be, it doesn't matter whether you pinched the Captain's ID or hacked all the doors and walls or pushed an inactive bot in front of you to fool the doors like some kind of sci-fi Weekend At Bernie's. You can get Security involved and have them remove someone's stolen possessions, and evict them from the restricted area. Or not. It's entirely up to how you prefer to play, what you think is acceptable, all that jazz.

In short: I really don't know what you're objecting to, this is just a really clumsy way of replicating one of the game's existing features. Also I am probably rambling.
holy shit why would you respond to a non-bug with a fifty page effort post