Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The monkey business on SS13
And by monkey business I do not mean implement gorillionares (or do I?) but rather an upgrade to monkeys AI.
I am also not talking about random pain-in-the-ass movement they have on other servers, I am talking about monkeys interacting with objects or the enviroment, for example:
  • pressing buttons
  • turning valves
  • pressing buttons on radios/signalers
  • following banana trails
  • accidentally pulling triggers
  • giving them some bongos for them to play once in a while
  • mixing beakers in their hands
  • spontaniously putting on clothing items
  • flinging shit at clowns
  • riding bees

Imagine:
CREW, there are 6 maxcap bombs in the station, and two dozen monkeys beeping away with their toy signallers hidden all over the station. Who will evolution favor today?

the possibilities are endless, we just need to find those that are easy to code!
Make a dwarf fortress style machine using your monkey slaves to power it!
I adore this idea and even if half of it went of it went in it would be great. Something so monkeys aren't just fleshy beakers that geneticists test, that basically have no soul.
One other thing that would be great is some sort of aggressive pack mentality where other monkeys will attack a player if another monkey is harmed within their sight, whilst that monkey will defend itself. It would make the kill monkeys objective alot more amusing. It would make genetics alot more amusing too if monkeys were to pick up random shit and possibly throw it.
The only problem I see with this is that currently monkeys are mutated humans, so when geneticists scramble them and they stop being monkeys, would they lose this whimsical behavior?

I just don't know, it sounds like it could be a lot more complicated than it would seem at the surface if mainly for that reason.
If all non-player human mobs do this sort of stuff it would be fine. I'm sure shitty bill and father jack would have a grand time in the diner every round.
Sundance Wrote:One other thing that would be great is some sort of aggressive pack mentality where other monkeys will attack a player if another monkey is harmed within their sight, whilst that monkey will defend itself. It would make the kill monkeys objective alot more amusing. It would make genetics alot more amusing too if monkeys were to pick up random shit and possibly throw it.

At one point this was actually a thing. A handful of monkeys could easily take on almost the entire station.
RolandTDapperman Wrote:
Sundance Wrote:One other thing that would be great is some sort of aggressive pack mentality where other monkeys will attack a player if another monkey is harmed within their sight, whilst that monkey will defend itself. It would make the kill monkeys objective alot more amusing. It would make genetics alot more amusing too if monkeys were to pick up random shit and possibly throw it.

At one point this was actually a thing. A handful of monkeys could easily take on almost the entire station.
RIP monkey survival where monkeys crawled through the vents and picked up items to wreck the station- the only way to win was be in the boxing ring unarmed with bruise packs around so the monkeys would pick it up and heal you
They should be able to get in fights with one another. One monkey throws so much stuff at another it flips out and starts attacking the other. Watch genetics become a blood bath.

They should also pick up objects on the floor and use them as weapons when angered. Monkey cage fights anyone?
I once witnessed a berserk rat attack a monkey so I killed the rat and brought the monkey to medbay to be cured.

Yes to more animal fights. Also to monkey behaviors that make mechanics laugh.
I will say this, it might give shockpacks a real reason to exist again instead of just being a component to a shitty chair.
Something to consider: monkeys spawn with a random mood or aggression level. As in some could be kind and loving and wont get mad/do stupid stuff no matter how much you hit them.

Others could literally blow up just by you moving into their field of view.
I suggested monkey riots a year ago and nothing ever came of it.

Meanwhile some other dude asks for a pet bat and gets it instantly < mad >
Zadeon Wrote:Something to consider: monkeys spawn with a random mood or aggression level. As in some could be kind and loving and wont get mad/do stupid stuff no matter how much you hit them.

This, along with certain actions changing their mood. Toss them bananas or play them some soothing sax music to calm them down.
i want monkey traitors and syndicate operatives.
Frank_Stein Wrote:
Zadeon Wrote:Something to consider: monkeys spawn with a random mood or aggression level. As in some could be kind and loving and wont get mad/do stupid stuff no matter how much you hit them.

This, along with certain actions changing their mood. Toss them bananas or play them some soothing sax music to calm them down.

Eat a banana in front of them to piss them off.