SAA/Aesculus is applying for Mentor
Usual Character Name: Thet Raytor
BYOND Username: SAAesculus
Recommended by (if applicable): Marquesas, SgtBriar
Times Available: Varies a lot, + it'd be in the wrong timezone and everything so I'm just gonna give a non-answer.

Reason for Application + Game Experience (300 word minimum): The reason I am applying for mentor is so that I will have the ability to help new players who are learning the game, as well as being able to use my knowledge to contribute to the community. When I started playing, there was no mentor system, and every new player had to learn the game and deal with the learning curve more or less on their own. Personally, the only help I got was a space drunk dude who ended up disappearing sooner or later, and I ended up failing to figure out how to change hands until the next round. Noone should have to deal with that sort of confusion in trying to have fun in a game, and I'd like to help any players, new or old, get the help they need to have fun, because I believe that would be beneficial for everyone and everything. Also a bunch of people bugged me to go apply for mentor already, so I guess that's also a reason for application?

As for game experience, I am pretty knowledgable in the more secret-ey, such as telescience and chemistry areas of the game, having solo'd the solarium. I also know how to make 10/14 chems that are listed under secret chems on the wiki, making me a solid upper-mid-tier chemnerd. However, I understand that such knowledge doesn't usually translate to actual game mechanics knowledge, how to be a good player, how to help out, how to have fun, and so on.

So, as for game experience that actually matters, I am highly skilled in a lot of areas of SS13, with most of that knowledge being self-taught, overheard over the various rounds of my earlier times on SS13, or picked up from some forum thread somewhere. I know a lot of more obscure things too, such as the difference between regular and syndie donk pockets and regular donk pockets. Obscure rumors about things that are barely ever seen or used, well, I usually prefer to test the factuality of said rumors. Basically, I know my stuff.

Admittedly, I haven't really played much as certain roles, such as mining or botany, and I haven't really started playing much on the higher-population servers until around a month or so ago. I have not had much experience with playing AI or cyborg, two roles which I presume that a lot of questions will be asked about much. However, my general game knowledge, playing as a role I know well, is pretty good, if I do say so myself. I don't really have much of a preferred role, being capable of playing most roles competently, and ultimately I believe that I will be able to answer most questions that any player may have pretty well.

Previous Bans (While this will not affect your application lying about it will): None that I remember.
Extreme nerd. Good guy. Calls me Autsin for some reason. Yes from me, since, well, I recommended him in the first place. You deserve it.
I don't personally recognize you but your application looks alright but could be better I believe. I want to quote something in your application:

Quote:I have not had much experience with playing AI or cyborg, two roles which I presume that a lot of questions will be asked about much.

I would strongly consider working on this if you believe a good bulk of the questions will be regrading the A.I and Cyborg roles. I believe a good mentor would have a good understanding of all jobs including the A.I and Cyborg roles.
Huge nerd, I can safely say that he knows his shit, so yes I stand by my recommendation here.

As for the concerns of the AI and Cyborg roles, it's really common sense, which I know that he has.
yes definitely, he knows his shit
Marquesas Wrote:Huge nerd, I can safely say that he knows his shit, so yes I stand by my recommendation here.

As for the concerns of the AI and Cyborg roles, it's really common sense, which I know that he has.

If that is the case then I am behind this good man 100% I think he deserves a shot at it! wink
I hate this dude because he's robust.

YES
Haven't spoken much with this guy until today. He's pretty cool in my book and should be a mentor.
Accepted, congrats!