Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimme Yo Feedback
I agree that the built-in reagent scan on health analyzers is just too convenient to be NanoTrasen. Doctors and scientists already start with reagent scanner programs. It's like how Cogworks purposefully designs the station to be breakable/dangerous in areas. There should be blind spots players have to put in special effort to check.

Besides, after a while you learn to tell right away whether you've been hit with sarin or neurotoxin, or something else less common.
Grizzwold Wrote:Can you make the kitchen glass recycler accept broken bottles? I know breaking a bottle makes shards but I still think it would be helpful. The bar runs out of glasses a lot when I'm running it.
I looked into this, and I think it only accepting shards is the intended function. With all the bottles the barman has to smash up, I think it's probably fine as-is.

Paineframe Wrote:As a doctor and sometimes a makeshift hobo doctor, I love the reagent scanner being built into health scanners; as a scientist and antag, I wonder if it might be too good. I'm a little concerned about the balance effects, though; if you're a class that doesn't start with a reagent analyzer, it's way easier to get your hands on a health analyzer than a PDA cart with a reagent scanner, and there's a lot more health analyzers on the station than there are doctor/scientist carts and PDAs. The end result is that reagent scanning is way more available and accessible now, which is good for newbies and people who hate being poisoned, but generally bad for stealth poisoners.
Grayshift Wrote:I agree that the built-in reagent scan on health analyzers is just too convenient to be NanoTrasen. Doctors and scientists already start with reagent scanner programs. It's like how Cogworks purposefully designs the station to be breakable/dangerous in areas. There should be blind spots players have to put in special effort to check.

Besides, after a while you learn to tell right away whether you've been hit with sarin or neurotoxin, or something else less common.
This was definitely one of my concerns with the reagent scanner - my favorite job is, was, and probably always will be doctor (or any variation thereof (except geneticist (those fucking monkeys))) so I'm worried I may add things that make their lives TOO easy. One of the themes of this game, in my opinion at least, is Nanotrasen Is Not Nice To Their Employees, and I don't wanna go too far into convenience. I'd love to hear more thoughts on this side of things.

Archenteron Wrote:The health analyser's reagent scaner only works on living beings, though, whereas a PDA reagent scanner can scan hobo wine bottles/food/etc, I believe.
This was my thought as far as balance goes - the health analyzer's only gunna work for things that, y'know, have health. If you wanna scan anything and everything, you're gunna need a proper reagent scanner.

One thought I've had for the analyzer reagent scan is to make it not give a number readout on chems - only the names. Thoughts?
Haine Wrote:One thought I've had for the analyzer reagent scan is to make it not give a number readout on chems - only the names. Thoughts?
Nice.
Maybe it should give the name of the most prevalent chemical, or only detect large amounts of reagents.

Like it would say.

Large amounts of ethanol detected.
Trace amounts of foreign materials detected. Sample size too low for analysis.
Archenteron Wrote:The health analyser's reagent scaner only works on living beings, though, whereas a PDA reagent scanner can scan hobo wine bottles/food/etc, I believe.
That's the way more important part, though. Scanning food, hobo wine, and so on is only really useful if you're planning on eating them or making deathchems from them. Scanning people, though...if I happen to be doctoring out in the field and someone acting oddly runs by, I'll sometimes reagent scan myself just to make sure I didn't get penned by anything. The most important function of a reagent scanner (for someone that isn't a scientist or traitor) is the ability to check whether you're poisoned, and if so, with what and how badly. Massively increasing their availability is a nerf to poisons, especially stealthy ones. I like that you're doing something with reagent scanners, since having them as PDA programs only isn't newbie friendly, but there's a bazillion health scanners on the station and anyone can easily get their hands on one.
Yes yes yes, all my yes to the macrobomb injector. Perfect item for someone who doesn't want to play traitor but got rolled for it, or perfect item for the "Use no TC on anything" people.
Everything is very good, but I too am concerned about the reagent scanner.
The port-a-med is barely used IMO because good doctors don't come a dime a dozen, you are lucky even having one.
The port-a-med is I assume to be used by paramedics who would ideally quickly give some first aid and send you to some doctor for more in-depth treatment / blood analysis.
This usual only good doctor on station either
A)has a whole medbay on him when paramedicing because sending people back to medbay is stupid as he being the only (competent) medic will have to walk back and THEN treat
B)the only medic stays in medbay and everybody makes do outside when they can, bringing in poisoned, amputees or corpses, and calling for the medic on the radio when SHIT GOES DOWN

With tox damage from poisons people still bring people in mostly because medbay is the only real source of antitox, and in this case the medic would (ideally) also do some bloodwork if the patient doesn't recover quickly or is screaming about those fun messages sarin gives. Now that everybody can do the bloodwork anywhere, I expect the bartender to be MD 2.0 and the levels of metagaming to rise considerably against poisons.

But let's not beat around the bush here, the real problem is that people don't really play medic like with sec, and half of those who do are doing it half-assedly because they heard of karma on the chat or something, more concerned with keeping the doors to the medkits closed as to not become totally useless instead of helping that gasping dude who keeps collapsing or removing that corpse in the cryotube that they didn't even get there because said guy had to set himself cryo up at 20 minutes because nobody was helping him when HE was collapsing around because goddamn medics are useless and nobody is doing shit holy fucking christ.
Iatots Wrote:Everything is very good, but I too am concerned about the reagent scanner.
The port-a-med is barely used IMO because good doctors don't come a dime a dozen, you are lucky even having one.
The port-a-med is I assume to be used by paramedics who would ideally quickly give some first aid and send you to some doctor for more in-depth treatment / blood analysis.
This usual only good doctor on station either
A)has a whole medbay on him when paramedicing because sending people back to medbay is stupid as he being the only (competent) medic will have to walk back and THEN treat
B)the only medic stays in medbay and everybody makes do outside when they can, bringing in poisoned, amputees or corpses, and calling for the medic on the radio when SHIT GOES DOWN

With tox damage from poisons people still bring people in mostly because medbay is the only real source of antitox, and in this case the medic would (ideally) also do some bloodwork if the patient doesn't recover quickly or is screaming about those fun messages sarin gives. Now that everybody can do the bloodwork anywhere, I expect the bartender to be MD 2.0 and the levels of metagaming to rise considerably against poisons.

But let's not beat around the bush here, the real problem is that people don't really play medic like with sec, and half of those who do are doing it half-assedly because they heard of karma on the chat or something, more concerned with keeping the doors to the medkits closed as to not become totally useless instead of helping that gasping dude who keeps collapsing or removing that corpse in the cryotube that they didn't even get there because said guy had to set himself cryo up at 20 minutes because nobody was helping him when HE was collapsing around because goddamn medics are useless and nobody is doing shit holy fucking christ.
i think youve strongly misunderstood this thread
YJHGHTFH Wrote:i think youve strongly misunderstood this thread

The analyzer is on topic, and since
haine Wrote:Port-A-Sci
I added this sort of as a test. I'm curious to know how much it's being used/how it's being used, and if it's helped the Port-A-Med stay on-station more.
I also talked about port-a-med

The port-a-med and port-a-sci are two different things used for different purposes, and even though the port-a-sci is awesome the port a med is still rarely usefull, for reasons explained above. These same reasons are the key on how
station-wide avaible poison scanners could be a bad thing.
Yes my post may have sounded like deadchat on the last part, but the points still stands.

scientists movable storage/bombshield = lotsa fun
movable sleeper + bad medical personnel = waste of codespace
bad medical personnel + robust crew + poison detectors = easy peasy detox at bar, metagame

bottom line: I like everything but the analyzer funtion on the healthscanner, and while awesome the port-a-sci at best does not affect the port-a-med and at worst it overshadows it.
Iatots Wrote:movable sleeper + bad medical personnel = waste of codespace
look man if you wanna talk about wasted codespace there are things far more wasteful than the port-a-med's code

every category header in my personal WIP code file looks like these:
Code:
/* ._.-'~'-._.-'~'-._.-'~'-._.-'~'-._.-'~'-._.-'~'-._.-'~'-._. */
/*-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+SURGERY+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*/
/* '~'-._.-'~'-._.-'~'-._.-'~'-._.-'~'-._.-'~'-._.-'~'-._.-'~' */

// I only spend my time doing useful things, clearly.

// What, were you expecting something down here?  There ain't nothin'

/* ._.-'~'-._.-'~'-._.-'~'-._.-'~'-._.-'~'-._.-'~'-._.-'~'-._. */
/*-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+DRINK+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*/
/* '~'-._.-'~'-._.-'~'-._.-'~'-._.-'~'-._.-'~'-._.-'~'-._.-'~' */

// nicknacks for making fancy drinks
so if I was gunna give a shit about having too much text bloating the files I would start with this stuff

(it is text. it is very small in filesize. the icons are also very small. in total the port-a-med takes up like 10kb of space, if even that. they are all in their own separate files from other things and you'd have to be kinda trying to be inconvenienced by the code for them. my point is: ?????)
Haine Wrote:?????

I was under the impression that coderbus was displeased with the port-a-med, from
Haine Wrote:Port-A-Sci
I added this sort of as a test. I'm curious to know how much it's being used/how it's being used, and if it's helped the Port-A-Med stay on-station more.
I guess this was just a misunderstanding on my side.
I like the cocktail additions a lot, though that I think that drink locker might be getting a little bit crowded. Maybe the boxes should start off on the table in there?
Yeah, it is getting crowded. I'll fiddle with stuff and see if I can get a better setup going.
Hi yes. I have a grump about the new keybind to the X key for wasd users. That key was already bound to toggle throwing. That is 300% more useful than trying to grab your toolbelt off your belt slot. I suggest replacing X as the throw toggle and setting this 'equip' function as something else. Maybe Z or C.
Someone on IRC said Shift already toggles throw.