Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimme Yo Feedback
Since I became a coder, I've added a buncha little things here and there, but I haven't had much of a chance to actually play many proper rounds. So I'd like to hear from you guys about a few of my additions, and how they're working out.

Port-A-Sci
I added this sort of as a test. I'm curious to know how much it's being used/how it's being used, and if it's helped the Port-A-Med stay on-station more.

Health Analyzers
I fiddled with the layout and colors of health analyzers' output, and added a reagent scan function to the stand-alone version. How does the new format look to you?
[Image: typPlpn.png]
Also, has the reagent scan been helpful? As a human? As a mediborg? As an incomprehensible combination of cockroaches in a vaguely human shape?

New Drag-Drop Functions
Drag-drop seeds into hydro trays to plant them, and chemical containers onto other chemical containers to transfer reagents between them.
The code is technically Razage's, but as the person who ported it, and the one who had to deal with every other vaguely-related thing breaking because of it, I'd like to know how it's working out. Are things working as they should now?

Bottles
I've changed a lot of alcoholic drinks that come in bottles (beer, vodka, hobo wine, etc) code-wise, so that they can be broken on bar tables. However, this change caused the things I replaced to be deleted from the map. I tried my best to replace everything, but I'm sure I've missed some things. Let me know if you notice some alcohol missing from where it should be.

Might add more things up in here as I go, or as I think of new things I want feedback on. Please keep in mind that this thread isn't for all of the rad suggestions you have that are kinda related to the things I'm asking about - I'd prefer if we didn't go down the trail of "thinking of X, Y should be a thing, and also Z would be great!" I'd like to stick to ideas or concerns directly related to the things I've brought up; ie, if something's being abused, or if something could work or look slightly better. Also, feedback on any of the things I've added is cool, as well, the stuff up there is just the things I'm most curious about.

Thanks in advance, guys!
They're all awesome. You should get some sleep, though.
The Port-A-Sci so far is great, especially since you can shove stuff in it unlike the port-a-medbay. Although I haven't used it on a telesci adventure, more to transport large quantities of synthbutts and myself from botany to robotics quickly.

Also, the color coded damage numbers for the scanner are wonderful and make life much easier. 5 gold stars out of three buzzing bees.
I'm in love with the new health analyzers. It's so easy rescuing poison victims when you know what the fuck is actually killing them, rather than flushing them with calomel and hoping for the best.
bottles only being breakable on bar tables seems a little limited
YJHGHTFH Wrote:bottles only being breakable on bar tables seems a little limited

Yeah, I agree with this. As long as you're drunk enough you should be able to break it on any table.

Also holy shit the new health analyzers are so great. So many doctors would never use their PDA reagent scan and ended up making poisonings worse fairly often.
Yeah, now the the bottle stuff is in working order, I'll expand it to all tables.

Glad to hear that y'all are liking the new health analyzers!
Haine Wrote:Yeah, now the the bottle stuff is in working order, I'll expand it to all tables.

Glad to hear that y'all are liking the new health analyzers!
Because feedback should include SOME negative stuff, the health analyzer color-coding system is weird in one way.

Toxin starts green, burn starts orange, and brute starts red.

However, I've noticed severity also changes the color, minor being green, moderate being orange, and major being red.

It's not a SUPER MAJOR ISSUE, in fact it's not even really an issue, but it's kind of weird looking across the board and being like "Oh shit he's dying horribly of brute" at first glance only to realize that's they're fine, and then a second time to see burn damage at orange status and being like "It's orange he's good" and only to realize he actually has 60 burn and you read it wrong because of the color.
DyssalC Wrote:Because feedback should include SOME negative stuff, the health analyzer color-coding system is weird in one way.

However, I've noticed severity also changes the color, minor being green, moderate being orange, and major being red.

It's not a SUPER MAJOR ISSUE, in fact it's not even really an issue, but it's kind of weird looking across the board and being like "Oh shit he's dying horribly of brute" at first glance only to realize that's they're fine, and then a second time to see burn damage at orange status and being like "It's orange he's good" and only to realize he actually has 60 burn and you read it wrong because of the color.
The oxy-tox-burn-brute numbers actually only go from their normal color to red once they hit a certain threshold (50 iirc), the main health percentage goes green-orange-red. I was concerned about confusion regarding brute damage, though. I was trying to think of what other color to use for brute, considered like pink or dark red or something, but haven't quite made up my mind on it yet. I'll fiddle with it some and see.
I had no idea the health analyzer has a built in reagent scanner now. I saw analyzer but got super confused because I didn't think you were talking about health analyzers.

Also I have no idea where to find the portable sci doohickey or how to use it. Is it like the porta medbay remote or what.

Also breaking bottles is pretty fun.
Haine Wrote:
DyssalC Wrote:Because feedback should include SOME negative stuff, the health analyzer color-coding system is weird in one way.

The oxy-tox-burn-brute numbers actually only go from their normal color to red once they hit a certain threshold (50 iirc), the main health percentage goes green-orange-red. I was concerned about confusion regarding brute damage, though. I was trying to think of what other color to use for brute, considered like pink or dark red or something, but haven't quite made up my mind on it yet. I'll fiddle with it some and see.
Ah, alright, that makes more sense. I'll admit I ASSUMED there was a minor and moderate color, but I have seen red tox and all that.

It's the smallest thing in the world, but just though it was worth a mention for the sake of feedback.
Can you make the kitchen glass recycler accept broken bottles? I know breaking a bottle makes shards but I still think it would be helpful. The bar runs out of glasses a lot when I'm running it.
atomic1fire Wrote:Also I have no idea where to find the portable sci doohickey or how to use it. Is it like the porta medbay remote or what.

It's a lot like the portamedbay! The remote for it starts in the RD's office, and it's the funny looking locker in the hallway above chemistry.

It's basically a better portamedbay that lets you move not only multiple people, but also items! Use it to loot the Solarium in no time flat! Forgot some potassium iodine on the lava moon? Send it back to the station and yell at someone to fill it up with meds! Send the dead back for cloning! Send husks back to taunt the crew as you chill on the Ice Moon!
As a doctor and sometimes a makeshift hobo doctor, I love the reagent scanner being built into health scanners; as a scientist and antag, I wonder if it might be too good. I'm a little concerned about the balance effects, though; if you're a class that doesn't start with a reagent analyzer, it's way easier to get your hands on a health analyzer than a PDA cart with a reagent scanner, and there's a lot more health analyzers on the station than there are doctor/scientist carts and PDAs. The end result is that reagent scanning is way more available and accessible now, which is good for newbies and people who hate being poisoned, but generally bad for stealth poisoners.

I tried the drag-and-drop on beakers and found it to be kind of a mixed bag. It's not hand-dependent, so it reduces inventory shuffling a lot when you're mixing complex stuff, but it transfers the entire contents of the beaker rather than 10-unit increments, which makes it a bit hamfisted for complex mixes.
The health analyser's reagent scaner only works on living beings, though, whereas a PDA reagent scanner can scan hobo wine bottles/food/etc, I believe.