Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Request for sprites: Themed worlds!
You guys do realize that people are perfectly free to comment on sprites, regardless of whether or not they've also contributed some to the thread, right? So long as they aren't being needlessly shitheaded, there's nothing wrong with people contributing their opinions - and in this case it wasn't even opinions, but just pointing out something. Don't try to pull the "you haven't done [X] so you can't criticise my [X]" crap, please. Especially not in this situation.
Sundance Wrote:Furthermore, I don't like your attitude, affable. Don't come onto a sprite thread that's asking for help for sprites, contribute absolutely nothing, and kick up shit about how i'm some sort of grand-sprite thief, when i'm not. It's bitchy and completely juvenile.
the reason i was pointed this out was because i thought it'd be in marquesas's best interest to know that some of your sprites were ripped (i'm going to keep using that term, because whether or not you traced over them or recolored them, they're still ripped from the original source). i did not think i was particularly harsh, as i have been much harsher to artists who trace over or repost other people's artworks. i gave you the benefit of the doubt here, so don't you dare accuse me of "kicking shit up" or putting words in my mouth about you being some "grand-sprite thief."

Sundance Wrote:I don't particularly like being called out for shit and made out to be some sort of phoney spriter or slacker when in truth the above wizard sprites took me 3.5 hours to do, especially by those who have contributed nothing.

That said haine I understand your position. I will resprite the floor and pot tile using the same style and color, but the finished product will look a whole lot different.
the reason i called you out was not to make you look like some sort of slacker. as i said before, it was to make you and others aware that what you were doing was wrong. whether or not you spent three and a half hours no longer matters. you invalidated the work you did by taking sprites, which in itself is not even the biggest problem here, and not giving any credit where credit is due.

TheTrixRabitt Wrote:Holy fuck, you guys made a big deal out of something really small. Its not like he didn't say it was inspired or out right deny it. Also, not gonna contribute because I'm a terribad spriter, just felt like posting about how he is "straight up ripping" sprites.
YJH had absolutely no reason to join the argument.
i did not think i was the one making a big deal out of anything. what i expected was for sundance to come out and say "oh, my bad" and credit chrono trigger.
you also cannot come to me and say that the word "inspired" is so ambiguous here. "inspired" usually means that you want to mimic the art style or maybe you liked the color palette and intended to use a similar one. "inspired" does not mean you simply take what is not yours.

and how in the world is informing sundance that recoloring is still considered ripping not contributing to the argument? if anything, i find your post more unnecessary here.

i apologize if i caused marq's thread to derail, and i apologize for my lack of precision of language, but that's all i will apologize for here.
arrrghhhh
  • Try to keep critique productive. That doesn't mean you can't call people out if a style doesn't fit SS13, just try to focus on the art instead of the person. Same goes for disagreeing with critique.
  • If you can't take critique, don't expect your sprites to get used. First drafts are not a waste of time and unused sprites are still good experience for improving as an asset artist. Nobody wants to work with artists who can't collaborate reasonably.
  • Everyone who works on the game has probably blown full days or even weeks on things that don't actually end up in the game. Just investing time into something doesn't automatically mean it was the right approach.
  • Keep egos and ~forum cred~ the fuck out of here, goddamn.
  • Please try to keep a consistent theme with Supernorn's art style. Base your aesthetics on SS13, not other games, or it'll look like a mess no matter how much work you put in.
  • YES, there are a lot of old ripped assets still in the game. These are slowly being phased out.
I realize that this entire argument is completely based off the fact that "I did not give credit where credit is due"
The fact of the matter is, I don't care. I was going off the basis that ripped sprites are ok once you edit them to fit them in with the map, like I did with the re-coloring so I really couldn't give a rats ass about the previous artist. This was due to the fact that there were already ripped plant sprites in-game, which is why I chose specifically the plant sprite to rip, that and it was a nice 32x32 size.
Haine politely clarified that there was a phasing out of this, to which I responded by making new sprites based off the previous ripped sprites, to which i'll make a separate post below. That was constructive criticism which I used constructively.

Also I'd like anyone reading this to just take a brief moment to look at this from my perspective. I just did ~40 sprites, and there ain't nobody actually discussing the sprites that were done, or discussing a collaboration, or actually criticizing my work, or posting their own so I can critique. No, just rather the two sprites I ripped. I don't do these sprites for ego-stroking, admins can check my key and notice I haven't played in months, or will I because I currently lack the funds to buy a computer that isn't a mac. So if my sprites do make it into the game, I won't see them. I do it because I hope it encourages others to join, or collaborate.
[Image: nJQVpsz.png]
New Pot based off the old sprite:
[Image: HrmYNCc.png]
Bookshelf
[Image: Rz508qe.png]
New Tile
[Image: MZl2SyN.png]
Button On/Off
[Image: YyyRNIx.png]
[Image: hxrxYwc.png]
Walls (5 dimensions complete)
[Image: C9Ekg3r.png]
[Image: MD9C3ct.png]
[Image: GigjyvZ.png]
[Image: TlFhxSp.png]
[Image: mE667xW.png]
Sundance Wrote:[Image: nJQVpsz.png]
New Pot based off the old sprite:
[Image: HrmYNCc.png]
Bookshelf
[Image: Rz508qe.png]
New Tile
[Image: MZl2SyN.png]
Button On/Off
[Image: YyyRNIx.png]
[Image: hxrxYwc.png]
Walls (5 dimensions complete)
[Image: C9Ekg3r.png]
[Image: MD9C3ct.png]
[Image: GigjyvZ.png]
[Image: TlFhxSp.png]
[Image: mE667xW.png]

I LOVE the floor tiles and how the combine seemlsly togeth and create an pretty awesome pattern....Also the bookcases would be even more awesome if you added a sprite with a book halfway out ( secret Levers!)
Getting a little deviant art in here.

What I like most about your sprites is the computer and drones, which it looks like you've based off of the wizard artifacts, so good theming there. I think keeping those colors, red and gold, as accents in the walls and floors would be nice.
Frank_Stein Wrote:Getting a little deviant art in here.
hue
Quote:What I like most about your sprites is the computer and drones, which it looks like you've based off of the wizard artifacts, so good theming there. I think keeping those colors, red and gold, as accents in the walls and floors would be nice
That is something I could definitely do and I did consider it previously. One thing that may be an issue with that is red and gold everywhere could be a bit.. overkill. What i'll try do is include more red in the sprites, as there's already quite alot of gold. Something that immediately springs to mind is changing the purple in the carpet to red. I have more wizard mob and gizmo's planned, they'll definitely be following the wizard artifact scheme.
After a bit of talk I decided to look at it in a less of a 'woo i got sprites' manner. The button and the computer are great, the drone could use a little sprucing up. As for the turfs, the main issue is that it looks a bit SNES. Something cleaner, a bit more space-y wizard thing would be nice and it'd be a great package as a whole.

But, the new button is already a life saver, we only had an ancient one of those before.
As far as buttons and computers go, i'll design a few more. What do you think of the swamp sprites?

With regards to the wiz sprites, i've done some turf mock-ups to see what "fits", so point me in the direction what you want to go. Nailing supernorns sprites is quite difficult when you're trying to create completely new rooms based off nothing, like there's no "stone floor" I can base my wizardly stone tile off.

The wall is just a recolor of the normal wall. If the color needs to be lighter or cooler, I can change that
[Image: ZnTftTy.png]
Then I added some patterns into it
[Image: zdXwLjI.png]
I made a new stone floor, using cooler coolers. The pattern is based off reinforeced flooring. It looks alot less snes-y
[Image: bUu8neb.png]
Then the carpet, I based it off the chapel carpet, used red colors like suggested above and over-layed the gold pattern over it:
[Image: Q6xDhaO.png]
All in all, I aimed to make things look cleaner.

As far as the others,
[Image: Rz508qe.png] [Image: 1m0sbuy.png] [Image: XEfFo5p.png]
I'm not quite sure how to improve on these, the book shelf and candle are both clean (The candle was based off a previous sprite, the bookshelf my own design) and the door is using the same perspective as the new doors and is based of the chapel doors, although it's not much use without an animation.
The flower pot, i'll change about.

Feed back would be great, so I can finish up these sprites, complete some mobs and move onto another project.
Stone floor and stone walls look really good.
I wanted to try going for a jungle-ish theme, so I made these this morning.
[Image: 7eFFomK.png] just a basic jungle floor tile.
[Image: zWGrp1P.png] a monkey with a spear. Also, some kind of a mind control helmet to make it evil and agressive.
[Image: Kr44PSh.png] another monkey with a mindcontrol helmet. This time it has a gun.
I'm making icons with an egypt theme. Just going to dump some of them here.
[Image: DaWzxEX] one of the floor styles I've been making. Here's some fitting walls with hieroglyphs [Image: TGlPd42]
Some canopic jars to house the organs of the dearly departed: [Image: chXlNnH] [Image: Dyb4O19] [Image: gRElaAi] [Image: nQnRqAq] [Image: KA3TGzy]

[Image: fRLKMzO] A golden casket with opening/closing states.
[Image: jaMV1P9] Also, a generic mummy to put inside it. And then we have a bee-mummy. Looks kind of wonky, might redo it [Image: VlC2WOo]
tjtr Wrote:I'm making icons with an egypt theme. Just going to dump some of them here.
[Image: DaWzxEX.png] one of the floor styles I've been making. Here's some fitting walls with hieroglyphs [Image: TGlPd42.png]
Some canopic jars to house the organs of the dearly departed: [Image: chXlNnH.png] [Image: Dyb4O19.png] [Image: gRElaAi.png] [Image: nQnRqAq.png] [Image: KA3TGzy.png]

[Image: fRLKMzO.png] A golden casket with opening/closing states.
[Image: jaMV1P9.png] Also, a generic mummy to put inside it. And then we have a bee-mummy. Looks kind of wonky, might redo it [Image: VlC2WOo.png]

FYI, if you want to hotlink a imgur link, the direct link is http://i.imgur.com/VlC2WOo.png, not http://imgur.com/VlC2WOo

the i.imgur.com subdomain is used for direct linking images, otherwise imgur won't return an image.

I'm not sure if fileformat matters but I used .png in the quote, although you can link to .jpg as well.
Thanks for the info, Atomic. Will come in handy when I post the next load of sprites. big grin