Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Allow us to use our characters as a forum avatar?
Not to sure how hard this would be to implement but I thought it was a good idea after noticing how many people do not have a avatar and tends to beg in the avatar threads for one. So I thought this would be a neat little thing to add on here
Megapaco Wrote:Not to sure how hard this would be to implement but I thought it was a good idea after noticing how many people do not have a avatar and tends to beg in the avatar threads for one. So I thought this would be a neat little thing to add on here

the amount of work required to automate this makes this suggestion both very cool and very bad
I think they mean have something like the character creator built into the site for avatars.
Frank_Stein Wrote:I think they mean have something like the character creator built into the site for avatars.
Yup something along the lines of this is what I was thinking could work
different but still kinda mega tedious
also I think I was not clear about it but it's a fun idea so if there's a way to make this easily by all means do it
Neat idea, but I don't think it can realistically be done.
Looking aside from the difficulties involved in gathering up the various sprites and color overlays and composing them as an image.

The question is: how will you dress?
1. Standard staff assistant robes.
2. Random job regalia.
3. Your favorite job dress.
4. Last time you escaped on the shuttle, dead or alive.

That last one would be hell to implement but ultimately more interesting.
Possible as suggested? More than likely not.
Possible if, instead you were to take a screenshot of your character (in 32x32 format) uploading it here in .png format, then I could literally just blow it up to
126x126, from the bust up. That would take me, all of 2 minutes. This is possible if, there's no longer this weird agenda of people not being able to have their own avatars, to which I have yet to hear any solid reasoning to why this is.
How about copying over the character setup code, removing the unnecessary bits. Then you just need to add jumpsuit images for each job set, and bam you got a custom character creator. Then just send said character image to a avatar thread and get it changed to that.
This might not work if the coders are too lazy
get all hair/beard/skin color/eye sprites + jumpsuits + eyewear maybe

make a dumb php character selection gizmo, requiring a forum login, that simply ends up saying "i need that sprite and that sprite" etc

make a dumb whatever cgi language script that will mix the images together, skin first, then jumpsuit, then facial features, then just zoom it as needed; feed it the sprite names selected in the php script and retrieve the final image, saved somewhere convenient in regards to the account who logged in the character selection thingy

keep up a sql database linking forum usernames to the images

mod phpbb so that the avatar selection screen says "retrieve character" which simply changes the avatar to the image linked to the username

i guess that's how I'd do it
Splatpope Wrote:get all hair/beard/skin color/eye sprites + jumpsuits + eyewear maybe

make a dumb php character selection gizmo, requiring a forum login, that simply ends up saying "i need that sprite and that sprite" etc

make a dumb whatever cgi language script that will mix the images together, skin first, then jumpsuit, then facial features, then just zoom it as needed; feed it the sprite names selected in the php script and retrieve the final image, saved somewhere convenient in regards to the account who logged in the character selection thingy

keep up a sql database linking forum usernames to the images

mod phpbb so that the avatar selection screen says "retrieve character" which simply changes the avatar to the image linked to the username

Would something like this truly be too hard to add here?
Megapaco Wrote:
Splatpope Wrote:1) get all hair/beard/skin color/eye sprites + jumpsuits + eyewear maybe

2) make a dumb php character selection gizmo, requiring a forum login, that simply ends up saying "i need that sprite and that sprite" etc

3) make a dumb whatever cgi language script that will mix the images together, skin first, then jumpsuit, then facial features, then just zoom it as needed; feed it the sprite names selected in the php script and retrieve the final image, saved somewhere convenient in regards to the account who logged in the character selection thingy

4) keep up a sql database linking forum usernames to the images

5) mod phpbb so that the avatar selection screen says "retrieve character" which simply changes the avatar to the image linked to the username

Would something like this truly be too hard to add here?

1) duh, or not so duh if all images are saved in some byond format and you need to extract them one by one

2) "hard" part is getting it to log in with a forum account, maybe if it's modded inside phpbb it will be easier (add a section in the user control panel ?)

3) this part will be truly hard if there are no image libraries in perl/whetever, but I'm sure it exists, I'm sure it can't be that hard to do

4) actually no, just save the generated images in webroot/characterselect/characters/character_*username*.png

5) I guess modding phpbb requires to know php and isn't super hard ? I don't know, never tried

also this is really tricky if the staff doesn't have total control over the web server