Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make Wizards Unable to Use Tech
According to the little "lore" (and I use the word in the loosest sense) I've read, the Space Wizards Federation is suppose to be full of technophobic luddites. Going along with this, I propose we make any tech a Wizard attempts to use backfire hilariously.

Examples:

Dumbledore the Asshole Space Wizard holds the laser gun backwards and shoots himself. What a dork!

Dumbledore the Asshole Space Wizard hits his head on the pod door. What a dweeb!
Dumbledore tries to use the chemistry machine but it has too many confusing buttons.

Dumbledore tries to use the sec vendor but smacks it in frustration.

Dumbledore grumbles incoherently at the alcohol vendor.

Maybe it could be a good idea.

Wizards that go for the captain ID and steal guns and whatever are kinda unfun.

On that note maybe wizard should have a technophobic spell that screws with the crews technology temporarily.

Something like the sorcerers apprentice where stuff comes to life, or maybe the spell could work like an emag on guardbuddies or a badly pulsed wire on a seed vendor, causing the dispensers to never dispense the right thing. (would be annoying to barman and the scientists because chemical mixing would be much harder)
But sometimes you have to kill fast, and magic is too slow for your needs.
Also, this might end up crippling golem wizards who want to use certain nasty chemicals like CLF3, Sarin, hell, even golems that cause people to explode.
I would edit this into my previous post, but I can't do that for some reason.
I think that "magic" items (aka items made of clarentine, Koshamarite, and wizard clothes) should, in addition to their spellcasting cooldown lowering, interfere with electronics. If you're wearing magic items, electrical systems in your tile (like the gun you're holding, or the power armor you tried to steal, or the pod you're in) malfunction.

That way we could expand on the concept of Magic Vs. Technology in a way that nerfs the wizard's ability to just steal a bunch of lasers/tasers and use gun+staff to destroy people AND can also give traitors and miners or whatever a reason to collect+hoard the magic ores. You could build a Koshamarite Tile that ruins chemistry machines and mess with the chemists, or make magic armor that stops people from implanting you if you're a spy.

This means wizards can also use items next to them (like chemmasters for their golems) no problem, they just can't carry the technology with them.

You could also use lasers if you take off your wizard clothes for a little bit, although that'd be less than ideal!

If you wanna talk more about the implentation of more functions to magic ore as it does NOT pertain directly to a nerf for wizards, i've made a thread for it here ->

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3430
I would be fine with Wizards still being able to use the chem dispensers, I mean I love golems, I just hate getting killed by lazy wizards using laser guns. I mean cluwne me, fireball me, something!

And I think an animate object spell would be great, I remember seeing living stools and such during admin rounds, something like that would be cool.
I made this suggestion quite awhile ago and everyone was like "lol nerd wizards are already bad enough you just don't like fun :-)"

But I think this should be A Thing shrug
MrFable Wrote:fireball me

this is way worse than lasers
This would just make playing a wizard excessively obnoxious.
The wizards arrive on a space shuttle. Clearly technology is a necessary evil for wizards.
It could be an old wizards tower hurtled through space with magic?
Kaet Wrote:It could be an old wizards tower hurtled through space with magic?
That has a teleport computer on it...
Readster Wrote:That has a teleport computer on it...
Could be a magical teleporter spell cube?
It also has a vending machine on it.