Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Borg Frames
Borgs are all humanoid, and that's boring. How about some new frames for some variety? Little barrel borgs like R2D2 or a Borg with a dog body like Rush, or a borg that can transform into a rideable motorcycle.
How about a beebot?
Frank_Stein Wrote:Borgs are all humanoid, and that's boring. How about some new frames for some variety? Little barrel borgs like R2D2 or a Borg with a dog body like Rush, or a borg that can transform into a rideable motorcycle.
I am 100% behind the idea of a borg frame that allows the borg to be used as a segway.
In all seriousness, I am 100% behind the idea of a borg frame that allows the borg to be used as a segway.
DyssalC Wrote:
Frank_Stein Wrote:Borgs are all humanoid, and that's boring. How about some new frames for some variety? Little barrel borgs like R2D2 or a Borg with a dog body like Rush, or a borg that can transform into a rideable motorcycle.
I am 100% behind the idea of a borg frame that allows the borg to be used as a segway.
In all seriousness, I am 100% behind the idea of a borg frame that allows the borg to be used as a segway.

You can kind of do the opposite. If you take nanites and are on a segway when you transform you will stay on it until someone pulls you off. You don't fly over the handlebars when you bump someone, and you can't use the horn, but you don't take damage from anything that I tried.
Ikkonoishi Wrote:
DyssalC Wrote:

You can kind of do the opposite. If you take nanites and are on a segway when you transform you will stay on it until someone pulls you off. You don't fly over the handlebars when you bump someone, and you can't use the horn, but you don't take damage from anything that I tried.
I was thinking more in the sense of it being used by like a medical borg to whisk away a seriously injured patient to medbay, or for a brobot to use to form a buddy cop tag-team with the HoS riding him to a criminal as the brobot blares his siren/fart sounds to signal he's chasing down a perp, or a murderous construction bot using it grab a human and fly him into space when he's not paying attention. The list goes on.
DyssalC Wrote:I was thinking more in the sense of it being used by like a medical borg to whisk away a seriously injured patient to medbay, or for a brobot to use to form a buddy cop tag-team with the HoS riding him to a criminal as the brobot blares his siren/fart sounds to signal he's chasing down a perp, or a murderous construction bot using it grab a human and fly him into space when he's not paying attention. The list goes on.

Fuck yes.
Why not make mulebots a borg frame? Not like anyone uses mule bots normally as it is. Just rework them a bit to have a head and two manipulator arms sticking out the front.
There could be a borg frame that's essentially a bot, which gives the borg the ability to slide under people and plastic flaps, like normal bots, and move at insane speeds.
Captain Bob Goodman is sitting in his room, avoiding responsibilities like every good captain was trained to do.
Jim Badman jumps out from behind the plant and mercilessly beats down the unsuspecting slacker.
Bob tries to call for help, but Jim had removed his headset. Bob lost all hope of surviving, but then the doors opened.
Was his prayers answered? Is he going to be saved? In wanders a little robotic arm with tiny feet.
Bob reaches out to the little borg "Jim is badman! Tell the others!"
The tiny borg hurries over to Bob as fast as its little legs can carry it.
^5 states: "High-five."
^5 high-fives Bob Goodman. Radical!
Bob Goodman seizes up and falls limp, his eyes dead and lifeless.
^5 gives Bob Goodman a thumbs up. Good job dude!
^5 queries: "Need a hand?"
^5 high-fives Jim Badman. Totally awesome!

A variety of player controlled limited purpose borgs would fill a gap in my life
I've wanted for the longest time to have weird little non-humanoid robots to control, ever since guardbuddies were first introduced I've wanted to be able to putter around in a tiny little box on wheels and make a nuisance of myself. Even if I can't actually do anything or interact with much at all, just being able to dart around and bring joy/annoyance to the crew with my whimsical droid antics would make me happy.

There USED to be an alternate engineering borg style that was exactly what killer robots are now, the mob you sometimes see but not as much anymore since they've largely been replaced by the things you see on telesci trips. It was essentially a spiderborg, which makes sense given an engineering borg would have several utilities to draw from, etc, but I presume it was not exactly original and was phased out for being silly or something. Still, I think there's a lot of potential with this idea, and I think I have enough reason to make a different thread regarding more roboticist constructions, so I don't end up derailing this one.

Back on target, I agree that a taxiborg or ambulance borg would be a nifty idea if you could make it work. Given that treads exist now, that seems a reasonable connection to make. Maybe if you replace the arms with handlebars and the legs with treads, that results in rideborg? Can't use arm modules but it can keep the chest one? Just a thought.
Crumplehat Wrote:I've wanted for the longest time to have weird little non-humanoid robots to control, ever since guardbuddies were first introduced I've wanted to be able to putter around in a tiny little box on wheels and make a nuisance of myself. Even if I can't actually do anything or interact with much at all, just being able to dart around and bring joy/annoyance to the crew with my whimsical droid antics would make me happy.

There USED to be an alternate engineering borg style that was exactly what killer robots are now, the mob you sometimes see but not as much anymore since they've largely been replaced by the things you see on telesci trips. It was essentially a spiderborg, which makes sense given an engineering borg would have several utilities to draw from, etc, but I presume it was not exactly original and was phased out for being silly or something. Still, I think there's a lot of potential with this idea, and I think I have enough reason to make a different thread regarding more roboticist constructions, so I don't end up derailing this one.

Back on target, I agree that a taxiborg or ambulance borg would be a nifty idea if you could make it work. Given that treads exist now, that seems a reasonable connection to make. Maybe if you replace the arms with handlebars and the legs with treads, that results in rideborg? Can't use arm modules but it can keep the chest one? Just a thought.
That spider borg frame sounds neat, but I don't really see what its purpose would be. Would it be able to have like eight tools out at once? What did it used to be used for?
Also, ya, there needs to be a thread about generally improving robotics, as it seems like the most lack-luster science and as a minor grump I'm annoyed that it doesn't entice elder players enough to keep them coming back and I end up having to teach roboticists the basics every round I'm a borg.
Spider-engineer borg was purely aesthetic. More tools would be a nice idea though, so an engineer borg wouldn't have to switch out all its tools all the time, to make its work faster. Might give people a reason to use engineering borg instead of constructionborg.
Crumplehat Wrote:Spider-engineer borg was purely aesthetic. More tools would be a nice idea though, so an engineer borg wouldn't have to switch out all its tools all the time, to make its work faster. Might give people a reason to use engineering borg instead of constructionborg.

Engineering borg is best borg.
Instead of tying it to modules, make it about parts. Give alternate construction possibilities for borgs.

Example: RideBorg.

x1 Borg Head x1 Borg Chest x1 Borg Treads. Makes a borg that only has access to one slot, and has no arms, but moves quickly and humans can click-drag themselves onto it to go for a ride!

Example: Spiderborg.

x1 Borg Head x1 Borg Chest x2 Borg Right Arms x2 Borg Left Arms. Makes a borg with arms for legs. Has access to five slots, but can only move at regular speed if four slots are empty. If you have more than one tool out, the borg crawls along at a snail's pace. Allows for a borg to move somewhere, then pull out a shitload of tools and work quickly.

Example: BorgBuddy

x1 Borg Head x1 Borg Chest. Makes a player-controlled robuddy with a borg head. Is super speedy, and can pass through flaps, but only has access to one slot and must return to a recharging station in order to change that slot.

Example: ButtBorg

x1 Borg Head x1 Borg Treads x1 Butt. Makes a player-controlled buttbot.
Captain_Bravo Wrote:Instead of tying it to modules, make it about parts. Give alternate construction possibilities for borgs.

Example: RideBorg.

x1 Borg Head x1 Borg Chest x1 Borg Treads. Makes a borg that only has access to one slot, and has no arms, but moves quickly and humans can click-drag themselves onto it to go for a ride!

Example: Spiderborg.

x1 Borg Head x1 Borg Chest x2 Borg Right Arms x2 Borg Left Arms. Makes a borg with arms for legs. Has access to five slots, but can only move at regular speed if four slots are empty. If you have more than one tool out, the borg crawls along at a snail's pace. Allows for a borg to move somewhere, then pull out a shitload of tools and work quickly.

Example: BorgBuddy

x1 Borg Head x1 Borg Chest. Makes a player-controlled robuddy with a borg head. Is super speedy, and can pass through flaps, but only has access to one slot and must return to a recharging station in order to change that slot.

Example: ButtBorg

x1 Borg Head x1 Borg Treads x1 Butt. Makes a player-controlled buttbot.

I would change the BorgBuddy to having two slots but not having to stop at a recharger to swap, two slots being the "chest" and single arm that all bots have.

Also SlenderBorg(needs better name).

x1 Borg Head x4 Light Cyborg Arms X2 Mobility Units x1 Light Cyborg Chest. Makes a borg that has extra long arms and the capacity to work two tiles out from where it stands rather than just one tile out, the downside being it has to be a light chest and arms.