Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is creepy?
Winklabom Wrote:I personally still don't see what's so creepy/sexual about nipple tweaking.

Like I said, when I google'd "nipple tweaking" the vast majority of the results I had were about breastfeeding and various other things related to infants/mothers.

I had Safe Search turned off, by the way.
It's really not about what you personally find acceptable or not. It's about removing things that unnecessarily provoke people. As has been stated many times already, there's no reason for it to be in the game. We've found a substitute that fills the same humor role without bothering other people.

Some people might think that's kowtowing to the PC police or something. I think it's not being stubborn about sophomoric humor.
Winklabom Wrote:I personally still don't see what's so creepy/sexual about nipple tweaking.

Like I said, when I google'd "nipple tweaking" the vast majority of the results I had were about breastfeeding and various other things related to infants/mothers.

I had Safe Search turned off, by the way.

Well, brace yourself because I wasn't saying that i found an endless list of sexual things after searching it for nothing.

TRIGGER WARNING: SEX WORDS

http://puu.sh/d7JO0/6d845dd0a1.png

Here's some additional reading I scoured the far corners of the internet for to help you understand this complex idea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stimulation_of_nipples

Quote:Stimulation of nipples is a common human sexual practice, either for itself or as part of other sexual activities. The practice may be performed upon, or by, people of any gender or sexual orientation. Adult women and men report that breast stimulation may be used to both initiate and enhance sexual arousal.[2]
Idea: Ban people who go around tweaking people while talking about their dongs, and keep this thing that's not at all broken because Jesus Christ this is a game about farting on people can you not take it so damn seriously, it's a silly little thing that's not hurting anyone, and if it is used by someone who has too much time on their hands, adminhelp it and get them banned.

Stop trying to get the code beat up because you can't deal with a piece of text, thanks.
Welp, I guess I didn't dig deep enough to find that definition of "nipple tweaking" and so I was proven wrong.

Replacing the nipple tweak by a self-hug is fine by me, so long as there's a way to make fun of people clicking themselves with the grab intent.

Walrus Wrote:TRIGGER WARNING: SEX WORDS

[Image: RG0BS1U.gif]

I can't believe I'd see the day that someone says that unironically in a thread about Goonstation.
Winklabom Wrote:
Walrus Wrote:TRIGGER WARNING: SEX WORDS

[Image: RG0BS1U.gif]

I can't believe I'd see the day that someone says that unironically in a thread about Goonstation.

Sorry, forgot to add this to the beginning of that post.

Quote:TRIGGER WARNING: JOKES
I'm uh, Very astonished someone would go to this length to try and prove that nipple tweaking could be considered sexual. I would just like to see this topic locked cause it's just getting increasingly more and more stupid for no real reason.
KikiMofo Wrote:I'm uh, Very astonished someone would go to this length to try and prove that nipple tweaking could be considered sexual. I would just like to see this topic locked cause it's just getting increasingly more and more stupid for no real reason.

if people think nipple tweaking is creepy, they have a fucking right to post about it here. this is an admin-started topic to talk about what people in this community think is creepy.
KikiMofo Wrote:I'm uh, Very astonished someone would go to this length to try and prove that nipple tweaking could be considered sexual.

It was established that it was sexual within the first page of the discussion, the rest is debating whether it should be removed. I'm responding to people's posts, what great lengths have I gone to here? This is a discussion forum you know.

KikiMofo Wrote:I would just like to see this topic locked cause it's just getting increasingly more and more stupid for no real reason.

The problem is the leagues of people coming out of the woodwork to defend Nipple Tweaking like it's the somehow the end of the world. This should have ended long ago, I can agree with you there, but people evidently seem invested enough into Nipple Tweaking to continue to ask questions that have already been answered, and either never respond once it's replied to or just leave the thread entirely.
I'm still just trying to figure out how somebody tweaks their nipples through a spacesuit.
Readster Wrote:I'm still just trying to figure out how somebody tweaks their nipples through a spacesuit.
Obviously all spacesuits in SS13 have special nipples that you can tweak.

~SPACE NIPPLES~
Readster Wrote:I'm still just trying to figure out how somebody tweaks their nipples through a spacesuit.
Very carefully.
Though I find nipple tweaking pretty funny, I would agree that it might be easier to change it to self-hugging if only to cool down the discussion a little. I think everyone's becoming a little too incensed by such a small problem.

By removing nipple tweaking, Goonstation doesn't lose a beloved mechanic or feature; it just replaces it with something that will be less-likely to make people uncomfortable. I rarely see people use the tweak emote in-game, nor do I often see someone actually grab themselves accidentally. I'm sure if the flavortext was replaced with "Yadayadyadason Smith hugs himself. What a loser!" or something you'd still have the humiliation factor minus elements that would bother people who see it as a sexual thing. I'm sure there are plenty of ways to keep the goofiness going without sacrificing too much of the already existing elements. Though I'm not personally creeped out by nipple tweaking, I can see why people would find it bothersome and understand the merits of replacing the emote with something else. I find it funny, but like creepiness, funny is also subjective. If it lessens the possibility of someone using it for creepy deeds (which I think have already been adequately covered in the thread), then so be it. As long as it isn't removing a HUGE gameplay feature or something I think we can all handle it.

That being said, I can also understand why people don't want the feature removed. Removing nipple tweaking because someone (read: not everyone) thinks it is creepy implies that other things could be removed too if someone found them problematic. Not saying it would happen, of course, but by removing something from the game that some (once again, not everyone) people find creepy, it raises the question "What else could be removed?" Some people I know would be uncomfortable if a clown stripped them and farted on their mouth; does that mean farting will be on the chopping block one day? I remember being kinda irked when poo was removed, but I understood the reasoning behind it. I've seen people go overboard with it before and I'm sure one screenshot could have doomed the whole server if the wrong people took a look at it. I did find the poo mechanics pretty funny and useful though (nothing like slipping up security with a well-placed landmine, so to speak) so I was still bummed when it happened. Removing nipple tweaking is difficult because, as you can see from the last few pages, lots of players are divided on the issue. No one's in love with the emote, of course, they're just worried that this will allow other things to be put on the chopping block in the future if some people find it creepy. Citing the earlier example with the "Making it Rain = Uncomfortable" thread, you can understand why removing things because they COULD make someone uncomfortable might spiral out of control. Anyways, my point is that nipple tweaking doesn't creep people out, CREEPY People creep people out. I can see the merits of both sides and though I'm not rendered uncomfortable by nipple tweaking (among others in this thread) I agree that it may be easier to just replace it with something that is just as funny and not as creepily ambiguous(?).
Lets make a list of things that are creepier than nipple tweaking in SS13,

Peeing on someone
Peeing in a glass
Forcing someone to drink pee
Handcuffing someone and then farting in their face
Stripping someone naked while they are handcuffed
Doing that while alone in the brig or a hidden room somewhere on station
Drugging someone's drink at the bar and dragging them away somewhere while they are knocked out
Sucking up someone's fluids through a proboscis
Slashing your throat with a shard of glass
Using a wire cable to hang yourself
Doing pretty much any of this stuff while naked

That is just the stuff I can think of, I'm pretty sure there are alot more things in SS13 that can be creepier than nipple tweaking so why is it that THIS ONE THING is the thing you guys want to remove? Why not any of the other things? Is it cause it's the one thing you know you can possibly get removed because in your mind it serves no purpose? What about peeing? How about the many suicide options? Why aren't you complaining about those being too creepy? I'm sure peeing could probably get removed if you complain about it enough.
Now I'm sure someone is going to want to pick apart my argument for some reason but then I will ask them, Why care so much about a shitty 2D space man simulator on Byond? It's just a game and this is a server that bans creepy people so if someone is actually going to use something to be creepy you should just admin help them and then voila no more creeps. I just want to know why is this nipple tweaking such a big deal? Are people going around using it to torment your sensibilities every time you play or something? No one barely even knew about it until you guys started getting angry over it for some reason. I just don't get it. It's one little thing that barely gets used but it needs to be removed and or changed for what reason?
Walrus Wrote:
KikiMofo Wrote:I'm uh, Very astonished someone would go to this length to try and prove that nipple tweaking could be considered sexual.

It was established that it was sexual within the first page of the discussion, the rest is debating whether it should be removed. I'm responding to people's posts, what great lengths have I gone to here? This is a discussion forum you know.

KikiMofo Wrote:I would just like to see this topic locked cause it's just getting increasingly more and more stupid for no real reason.

The problem is the leagues of people coming out of the woodwork to defend Nipple Tweaking like it's the somehow the end of the world. This should have ended long ago, I can agree with you there, but people evidently seem invested enough into Nipple Tweaking to continue to ask questions that have already been answered, and either never respond once it's replied to or just leave the thread entirely.

This thread is the sorest reason why I wish private messaging was still active for members.
Cogwerks Wrote:"Feature X COULD be used for creepiness!" is a thing nobody is really seriously concerned about, let's stop arguing about slippery slopes please. Dumb old joke features that are kinda borderline already, by design, are worth discussing. Changing one thing doesn't mean everything else is going to change too, and occasional changes like that aren't done at the expense of new content.