HOS Application: Noah Buttes/Powmonkey
Usual Character Name: Noah Buttes
BYOND Username: Powmonkey
Recommended by (if applicable): Asteriskphart, Weavel
Times Available: 11:30 AM to 11:30 PM in the summer, variable at other times

Reason for Application (300 word minimum): Lately, I've seen too much slack in the security department. I want to fix that. Not to say that being relaxed is a bad thing. It's only when you start going easy on crime that things start to go downhill. Part of the purpose of security is to provide traitors with some resistance. After all, it's not fun to wipe out the station if no one puts up a fight. To this end, I would whip the security force into shape! Start from the ground up, teaching them how to arrest criminals with minimal risk to themselves and to others. We would serve not as useless mall cops nor as tyrants overstepping our boundaries but as keepers of the peace, ready to protect the innocent without unfairly punishing or harassing wrongdoers.

On a slightly related note, I want to help the crew as a whole as well. I feel that during my time here, I have acquired a great deal of knowledge about a wide variety of subjects. There's not a job on station that I can't perform at least adequately. Though I specialize in the research department, I also have a good knowledge of medical, botany, and engineering. I want to be able to spread my knowledge to those who need it. With the recent influx of new players, now would be the perfect time for me to get started.

I am applying for HoS because it would allow me to fulfill both of these goals at the same time. While keeping the sec force in line and patrolling for crime, I could stop and help passersby both through chat and through mentorhelp. I actually get a certain joy from teaching people. There's nothing more satisfying than seeing an engineer gleefully squeal over the radio after setting up his first successful hellburn.

I also want to store my meth in the armory.

Security Experience (300 word minimum): I routinely set detective as my favorite job, and have quite a bit of experience as a normal mall cop too. In my time on the force, I've learned to always keep my senses sharp, even when casually chatting with the barman. Danger could appear at any moment. An officer's best defense is neither his armor nor his baton but his awareness. A taser won't protect you from acid spit, but your reflexes might. My awareness is especially useful if there are syndicates about. Beyond the obvious red suit wearing, spacker wielding maniacs and the "stealthy" syndicates with half-assed disguises, a sharp eye is key to sniffing out those few operatives that actually put effort into their disguises. Is that staff assistant with a literal grey jumpsuit actually a staff assistant? Maybe.

On the less serious side of things, I do try to make things fun. One time, on a really slow shift, I hosted a battle to the death in the gen pop cell. The prize was a box of donuts and a bottle of Bo Jack Daniels. Another time, I plated the brig with gold to make the prisoners more comfortable. One of my favorite gimmicks is actually rather mundane. I like to sit at that little window in the security front office and take complaints there. You'd be surprised how fun it is to actually have a conversation with the victims of various petty crimes.

When it comes to people messing with sec just for shits and giggles, my policy is to stun, cuff, remove shoes, and toss. If they continue, I'll take their ID too. Each further offense costs them more gear.

My position on the various threats the station faces:

Traitors: It totally depends on the traitor. Unless I see a c-saber, shotgun, or bomb, I try to avoid killing them.

Changelings: Fuck changelings. They're assholes by their very nature. Kill on sight.

Wizards: Only trust them as far as you can throw them. If they use shocking grasp at all, prioritize them for destruction.

Nuclear Operatives: KILL KILL KILL

Werewolf: rare enough that I don't have any policy.

Vampires: This is one case where I probably differ from most people. If a vampire is being chill, I will usually be pretty lenient, as I would with most antagonists. If I manage to subdue a rude, murdering vampire, I will usually ATTEMPT to rehabilitate them. Have them do community service, etc.

In your opinion, what are the flaws and benefits of the current security layout (brig, cells, security room etc):
I have three complaints:
1. Not enough interesting things for prisoners to do in gen pop.
2. Not enough segways. Segways are actually really useful. A designated segway cop (preferably wearing magic sandals) can disarm gun-toting baddies without putting himself at risk of being shot.
3. The solitary cell is actually less secure than the gen pop cell thanks to that accursed door.

On a positive note, I absolutely love the minibrig by QM. I honestly don't know why more people don't use it. It's got everything you could need: a recharger, a gear locker, a secure brig cell, and a secmate computer. Coupled with its proximity to QM, any other necessities can be ordered from the console only a few steps away. The minibrig is a damn godsend when you're dealing with crime waves on the south side of the station.

Your opinion of Shrek (5 word minimum): Shrek was an okay movie I guess. I never watched much.

Previous Bans (While this will not affect your application lying about it will): Let's see... a long time ago, back on donut, soon after I joined, I got banned for being shit. I also have been job banned from captain for going braindead during a syndie round a long time ago. I also got job banned from AI at some point for leaving early from a round three times in one day.
I like the amount of work you put into this submission. I also like your policies for each individual antag.
What I've seen you do as sec is mostly good things, and I can definitely remember you dragging me away from a crimer once or twice. You're also rather helpful, on and off the sec team.
Your lack of Shrekcitement over the Shrek movies is unsettling, but beyond that a definite yes.
Definitely good sec. Gets my yes.
100% yes
Noah is a great Security Officer. Yes
A goode security. Aye.
Good enough, give this dork the beret.
You are a nerd that likes to arrest me for breaking into security(Almost every round), but yeah you are a good sec person and I think you should have the beret and big nerdy purple text.
I read your application backward but yeah it looks good. You're a pretty dedicated officer from what I know and you're not hitler so sure.
Yes, also OF COURSE.
Noah has been pretty good whenever I see him play security.

Noah Buttes Wrote:I also want to store my meth in the armory.

BERET HE
While I'm getting super tired of the "Security is shit and i want to fix it" opening to HoS applications, this guy is actually a good guy and would make a great HoS in my opinion.
Doo ittt
Noah's robust as hell, can't see why he shouldn't be HoS. Go get 'em!
Nitrous Wrote:While I'm getting super tired of the "Security is shit and i want to fix it" opening to HoS applications, this guy is actually a good guy and would make a great HoS in my opinion.
Doo ittt

It's more along the lines of wanting to fine tune the current security force. It's already at least tolerable, but I want to get it to above average or maybe even exceptional!
I like the application and I like the guy who wrote it.

Yes.