Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tweak AI Camera View to be Observer
Currently, when playing AI, the view you get is not smooth or fluid; you move from one camera to the other in a rather jerky motion. What I propose is making AI view more like observer/ghost mode (similar to blob) and merely blacking/greying/static-overlaying out areas where you cannot see.

This doesn't really buff or nerf the AI, but it certainly makes it much more fluid and enjoyable to play, not to mention navigate around (especially if a camera is cut).

Functionally, you'll still be able to see the same stuff, it will just be much much more fluid navigation.
Having played AI a bunch lately, I can state that the worst fucking part about being an AI is the fucking camera system.
This, bay has it and it is wonderful.
Would it bee possible to make it optional? The old system is so much faster to get around with now that I'm used to it.
All my yes for this. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to navigate the cameras to a certain place on the station, only to end up everywhere but because there's three other fucking cameras in the way that the game takes me to instead, constantly taking me in circles until I find the one camera that lets me move in the right direction. It feels like a fucking puzzle game in a system where there shouldn't be a puzzle.

I was about to complain that a free-moving AI camera would break the "intentionally without cameras so the AI can't be a horrendous omniscient supercop" areas, but the OP addressed that with the "put static over where the camera's vision doesn't extend to" thing. I'd be quite okay with this, it gives the AI a unique experience and probably isn't too hard to code.
I would also really like this, but with some kind of teleport to function to move to an area quickly. Also, bots, shells, and Borgs should count as mobile cameras if things get staticed out.
Frank_Stein Wrote:I would also really like this, but with some kind of teleport to function to move to an area quickly. Also, bots, shells, and Borgs should count as mobile cameras if things get staticed out.

Also a very good idea, and I definitely agree, though I'm not sure if bots should count, but most definitely borgs and shells.
Afaik, bots and borgs already count as cameras, you just need to switch camera networks.

Only no one ever does this because the other camera network is on the now abandoned mining outpost, and the bot one is cycled to right after it.
I think it works such that bots and borgs count as cameras if you switch to the appropriate camera network, but you can't use the arrow keys to cycle through them, you have to manually select their cameras from the dropdown.
The problem here is that a blacked or static view would show right away where traitor hiding spots are. Currently it's not immediately obvious which cameras are cut. I'm not sure what a good solution to this would be though as I do like the idea overall. Maybe combine it with the ctrl-click movement so you can get to places quickly.
SARazage Wrote:The problem here is that a blacked or static view would show right away where traitor hiding spots are. Currently it's not immediately obvious which cameras are cut. I'm not sure what a good solution to this would be though as I do like the idea overall. Maybe combine it with the ctrl-click movement so you can get to places quickly.

Yeah this is why this idea was rejected in the past.
As soon as you bring up the camera list it's obvious which cameras have been cut on account of them saying so.
Dabir Wrote:As soon as you bring up the camera list it's obvious which cameras have been cut on account of them saying so.

Oh sure but who uses that!

Actually, I just had a novel idea on how this could work. Rather then have sections of static for areas the AI can't view, have it show up like a cloak field generator does in space. The cloak field generator actually just paints an image of what the corridors should look like on the map. So if the AI has a cut camera, just have that section look like that. I have no idea how hard that would be to code though.
SARazage Wrote:The problem here is that a blacked or static view would show right away where traitor hiding spots are. Currently it's not immediately obvious which cameras are cut. I'm not sure what a good solution to this would be though as I do like the idea overall. Maybe combine it with the ctrl-click movement so you can get to places quickly.

Any AI worth is salt, though, is going to be familiar with what cameras are and are not cut based purely upon "well, can't view that area", not to mention the camera list.
Fox McCloud Wrote:

Any AI worth is salt, though, is going to be familiar with what cameras are and are not cut based purely upon "well, can't view that area", not to mention the camera list.

Except that this change would be a very big callout by having a big black or static piece on the map. It pretty much makes cutting cameras pointless then. Right now it would take some time for the AI to figure it out.